HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 11-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts
Default 2000 Ford F250 Super Duty truck

I have a 2000 F250 Super Duty pick up truck--- 2 WHEEL drive---left rear brake caliper is sticking AGAIN--- I have replaced this one already 3 times now will be the 4th time--- anyone got any ideas what is causing this??? the others are fine never any problems ---used synthetic lube on the slide pins too lasts for about 2 years then starts sticking-- Thanx FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Kirk Morgan

Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Ford F250 Super Duty truck

When it is stuck brake open the bleeder and see if it releases the brakes. If it does it is the brake hose and if not the pistons are stuck or the slides are frozen. I have been working on a fleet of Fords for the past 17 years and have not had any other problems but those. I have used some so called caliper lube and it caused problems so i went back to using die electric grease.

Kirk
Kirk Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

Kirk I replaced all of the brake lines and hoses in march totally rusted /rotted out --prior to that the brakes worked fine--for some reason it's always the left rear caliper that does this --- when lubing the slide pins and replacing the assembly I always replace the pins and rubber boots too making sure the boots are seated in the grooves so no water can get in ---will look at it tomorrow see if your idea works---- it's always the left rear never any other caliperThanks FED 387
Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Since you had to replace rusted brake line, I imagine it is likely a truck that gets driven year round, including roads that are salted in the winter? Is it always pistons siezed in the bores, or slide pins that are siezed? I have heard of some people having caliper issues with these trucks as they get older, I guess I`ve been lucky. 99 F350 2wd Dually, with 137000 miles, still wearing the factory installed calipers and pads.No wihter driving on salted roads has to help.When you buy a reman caliper, is it just the section with the pistons, or complete with mounting saddle and slides.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
FED 387
VIP Member

Usually just the slide pins -- pistons never stuck----BUT ONLY ALWAYS THE LEFT REAR---never the other 3--- calipers are from the factory-- I bought the truck new-- just pull them apart and lube them then reinstall when replacing the pads--the rear brake line rusted out under the drivers floor about 5 years after the truck was new---there is a clip that holds the line in place fastens to the frame rusted out under that clip ---rest of the line looked perfect -- spliced in a piece of tubing and just replaced it in March 2018 when I redid all of the lines to the rear also flushed out ALL the lines bled all the brakes installed new fluid too---going to put a rebuilt caliper on it tomorrow night after working and pull the right rear down and look at it then --have a caliper for it will see if it is sticking if not no replacement just lube the pins-the only thing I do not buy when I get the caliper is the bracket that mounts the caliper to the housing otherwise its the whole caliper with slide pins

Last edited by FED 387; 11-19-2018 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spelling