HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #141
Tom Young

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Jack Arnew is right, the black car that was sold to the Centolanza Bros was a Baltimore car restored by Sonny Nicholson. Sonny never raced anything he ever owned. He was famous for making them pretty and then selling them. He built the Cuda with all NOS parts, and even put NOS thin glass in it at a time when nobody could find it. He told me at the time he got the glass from someone at Chrysler that found it in a warehouse. The car had a slick black laquer paint job. Hope this helps.

Tom Young
Tom Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 AM   #142
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

More mystery to the Centolanza Cuda.
They were regulars at Dover Drag Strip. But Dover closed in May 76'. Not sure if that SS/A made it to the track before it closed.

Jack,
Found some stuff on your car at Dover. You said it was the Sox & Martin car (on your thread; "Where's Jack Arnew") you got after the 69' season,
with Sam Pannuty.
I think that car you took the keys to won the 69' SpringNationals,
69' Indy Nationals and 69' World Finals.
The photo's from Dover appear to be from 1970 (possible early in the season), as all the spectators are wearing jackets. Looks a little cold.
Dover Drag Strip got the Division 1 Pro/Stock circuit events for 1970,
but in early 71' lost it's NHRA sanctioning, due to safety issues with
the shut-down area and return road protection. But in 1970, there were
some good S/S ($$$) events. Was it 1970?
Paul
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:40 AM   #143
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Daryl (Liteweight)
Mark J (68hemiss)
I've been on the D-Dart thread for awhile.
"I'm Back Over Here Now"....
I'll post some good info later today, after work.
I'm closer to Daryl's car than you think.
I'm grew up in Mahopac, NY, and I was born in Mt. Kisco, right off
Maple Avenue, a stones-throw from Ritchie Mattoni's old shop
"Professional Machine"
Got to go to work, will post mucho info later.
Daryl "Awesome A-Body"
Paul
Old 10-21-2009, 02:19 AM   #144
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Daryl and Mark,
The 68' Dart that was supposedly an Eddie Smith Dart from Mt. Kisco.
There was definitely a Dart (black paint, no lettering) at the gas station
(Shell, If i recall) in the center of town. The movie theatre was to the left of the
station, and Hankerchips, a pub to the right. Murphy Brothers Moving Company and the Mt. Kisco Fire Dept. were opposite the gas station.
I knew that area very well. That Dart was there probably around 77' thru 79' (most likely). It definitely had a 68' Hemi hood. Saw the car many times, and pretty sure it was a 440 in the car. It may have been an
original factory car. It did have a fiberglass front-end assembly. But I'm not sure on the windows and interior components. Do remember dial-in
times (shoe-polish) on the side window (11.30's ???).
The car did sit their for awhile, Not sure on when it left. Since dover was closed in 76', i would bet that the car campaigned at E-Town and Island in New Jersey, and possibly Lebanon Valley, NY, during those times.
Part I.
Paul
Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 AM   #145
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Part II,As for the "Two-Scoop-Lido" phrase.
Note sure on that, pretty sure the car had a conventional 68' Hemi Hood.
Now there is an ice cream parlor in Mt; Kisco called "Scoops" and there is the Lieto family in Bedford Hills, that have a business called
Lieto Appliances A/C & Refrigeration, on Main Street. Not sure if
the two go together.
As for the 1977 NHRA Bracket decal/sticker. The NED championships
were held at US30 York that year. The championship sticker would indicate that the car was there???
PC
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #146
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Part III.
Somewhere around 82'/83' (note sure if was earlier or later) my father
heard of a 68' Dart for sale in central Westchester, NY. He went to see it and it was a 68' Dart (black w/fiberglass front-end and Hemi hood scoop). Yes, he bought it. The car was located in North White Plains, NY
The engine was out, but the car came with (2) engines, a 440 and a
426 Hemi (not sure if the aluminum cross-ram and Holley carbs came with the Hemi).
Paul
Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #147
jack arnew

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
More mystery to the Centolanza Cuda.
They were regulars at Dover Drag Strip. But Dover closed in May 76'. Not sure if that SS/A made it to the track before it closed.

Jack,
Found some stuff on your car at Dover. You said it was the Sox & Martin car (on your thread; "Where's Jack Arnew") you got after the 69' season,
with Sam Pannuty.
I think that car you took the keys to won the 69' SpringNationals,
69' Indy Nationals and 69' World Finals.
The photo's from Dover appear to be from 1970 (possible early in the season), as all the spectators are wearing jackets. Looks a little cold.
Dover Drag Strip got the Division 1 Pro/Stock circuit events for 1970,
but in early 71' lost it's NHRA sanctioning, due to safety issues with
the shut-down area and return road protection. But in 1970, there were
some good S/S ($$$) events. Was it 1970?
Paul
Paul I aquired the cuda from Sam and ran ss/a in 69 then went to pro an ran an won the first pro race at I think Suffolk Va. in 1970, Last round was with Ed Millie. Sam was told by them ( Ronnie & Buddy ) that the car had won the 68 nationals.
jack arnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #148
mike koester 66 nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I am not mistaken, Sox and Martin had 2 Cudas in 1968, the car Sam and Jack bought had a all white hood with a blue stripe. The second car
had a blue hood with a white stripe. The Cuda Jack had was raced in
early 68 and at Indy. In 1969 Sox and Martin had at least 3 Cudas, the
car Jack ran was at the Winters and then sold to Sam, as they then ran
the blue hooded car which won the 69 Nats and worlds final, This is the Cuda that is now been restored and owned by Clark Rand. The third Cuda was also run at 69 Indy as a B / gasser with injectors to showcase Pro Sock for 1970. This Cuda may have been bought from Don Carlton, as he drove this car at the 70 Winters in Pro Stock. Pictures available in Hot Rod mag, MOPAR 62 - 72 Winter 2006 Collectors Archive Series,
page 68, 69, and 75.
mike koester 66 nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #149
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

I spoke with Tim Hennessey at great lengths today about my Dart.Tim is the gentleman that did the extensive restoration on it in the mid 80's. Here's some of the conversation as told to me by Tim :
-Lou Vignogna purchased the car in the early 80's (82 or 83??) from someone in Mt. Kisco.It was parked in an apartment complex parkade.The car was complete including engine.
-It was painted silver with either a red or bronze inlay on the sides.
-Lou told Tim that this car was once campaigned by Charlie Castaldo.
-There was a 3 point Lakewood rollbar installed.
-The original inner wheel tubs were replaced with aftermarket ones.Outers were left alone.
-Lou removed the drivetrain & sent the car to be repainted in white to Paul Pittman.

-Tim purchased this car in 85 as a roller.
-It had a Jenkins style of hood scoop mated on top of the original hood scoop.
-The trunk lid had no hinges on it,& was retained by hood pins.It was a steel lid.
-Tim removed the Lakewood rollbar & sold it to a friend.
-stripped all the external white paint & sandblasted the rest,including the complete chassis & interior.
-replaced the aftermarket inner wheel tubs with original tubs that were cut from a donor car.A 3"section was installed between the outer & inner tubs to allow for a large tire.
-reinstalled hinge mounts in the trunk.
-repaired a 2"x 2" square hole on the top of the trans tunnel.The rest of the floorpan was not damaged or modified.
-welded in the holes left behind from the bolt in rollbar.
-removed the Jenkins hoodscoop & repaired the original scoop.
-no other sheet metal repairs were needed or done to it.
-Tim completed the restoration in 87.

I spoke with Paul Pittman (the guy who painted the car white for Lou) & he does remember doing the paint job.He's not sure of the colors before hand, but he thinks it was silver & red.
This is where the confusion starts on this car. As far as I am aware Charlie Castaldo had only 2 cars.The first one was a 4 spd. that he rolled at E Town in 69.The second was an auto car that he won the Super Stock Nationals at York in 69. I believe this is the car that is now owned by Brooks Lee,it is painted a georgous black with no lettering,& competes on a limited basis in SS/AH today.
In speaking with Tim today, he remembers going to York as a kid & seeing Castaldo's cars in the pits.He said there were at least 2 of them there at the same time. If the 4 spd. was wrecked,then what other Dart or Darts did Charlie have with him????
Anybody have some input here????????

Liteweight
Daryl

Last edited by Liteweight; 10-22-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: signature
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #150
mtkawboy

Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts

Anyone know whatever happened to the Hemi Cuda called "Hemi Inc." from the Ft Lauderdale Fl. area ? It was bought new by 3 guys & raced in SS/AA for a while and last I saw it the car was being bracket raced in West Palm @ Moroso by a guy named Boggs who was one of the original owners I believe. I think they all worked at the same dealership in Lauderdale. We used to race them a lot in Jimmy Soucys SS/IA Cobrajet 69 Mustang.
mtkawboy is online now   Reply With Quote