Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > A Racing Family Since 1988

Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: NHRA vs. NMCA/ NMRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
They have classes other than Stock/SS. Why should they switch their whole schedule in the hopes of getting a few more cars?
This is exactly right, S/SS is an add on for them.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #12
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Red face Re: NHRA vs. NMCA/ NMRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
They have classes other than Stock/SS. Why should they switch their whole schedule in the hopes of getting a few more cars?
It doesn't make sense. They make a big deal out of adding S/SS classes and then make it so racers have to decide to support them or the NHRA. One weekend one way or the other and everyone is happy! I am a Drag Racing promoter and I understand this problem! Do you want to add to the car counts or not? Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #13
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

NMCA does not have a problem with car count...never has. I would not expect them to alter their schedule for one small segment of racers regardless. No matter what they did someone would find a sour side to comment on. There will be X number of racers who show for their events no matter what the schedule...if you decide to be one who does expect a fun/fair weekend with no hassles.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
nssracer

Liked 205 Times in 22 Posts

NMCA has been running the same dates for a few years. The car counts are rising but also they bring in tons of fans. Changing the date because one new class has a conflict with NHRA would be a bad business choice. They have 10 classes and I am sure there are conflicts with some of those classes also. Complaining about any group offering more choices to racers does not make any sense to me. If there is a conflict you have a choice, pick an event and go and have a good time. I would say that STK/SS racers have more choices with NHRA, NMCA and all the STK/SS shootouts than any other race classes outside of bracket racing. I feel lucky that it is pretty easy to fill my race calender.

Thanks, Doug Duell STK 350 SS 351
nssracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #15
Jim Bailey

Liked 505 Times in 104 Posts

I'd like to add something real quick here .... Somebody / Anybody fill free to correct me. It was my understanding that a group of Stock/ Super Stock racers approached NMCA and asked for a chance to run at their races. NMCA agreed, and this was a "trial" to see if the Stk/SS racers would support a program. This was not some big "Idea" that NMCA had to add a Stk /SS program. So the last thing NMCA is going to do is change their schedule, especially for a class they don't need. They provided the Stk /SS racers an opportunity to have a different venue to race. They can drop it just as fast as they added it....But based on the fact that it - grew in car count - at nearly every event - I don't see that happening.... And as I've said before, If you skip an NMCA race that's in your backyard or drive past an NMCA race to run Stk / SS anywhere else, you're making a huge mistake. ( There are exceptions like- the racers that are annually chasing the NHRA National Championship, I get that. ) But for rest of us ... Try it you'll like it.
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #16
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Well said both Doug and Jim.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #17
Albert Lee

Liked 269 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Well said both Doug and Jim.
Absolutely! Good people at NMCA, just trying!

Al Corda
Albert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #18
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 665 Times in 258 Posts

Guys, I worked quite a few years doing the Tech for Engine Masters Challenge. A couple of years ago Lonnie Grimm joined our Tech team.
He is one of the NMCA Tech Guys and we have discussed SS & Stock in NMCA for several years. We also discussed the format, esp the heads up runs. S/SS in NMCA is not a knee jerk reaction to anything. It has been planned for a while.
NMCA put out their schedule before NHRA.
My Memory is not so good, but I think it was done before IHRA dropped their bomb on class racers. I've been told there might be a sponsor in the wings for the S/SS of NMCA. I'm pretty sure NMCA is committed to the S/SS segment of their program. I think they need some support. It is only a 6 race schedule.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #19
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssracer View Post
NMCA has been running the same dates for a few years. The car counts are rising but also they bring in tons of fans. Changing the date because one new class has a conflict with NHRA would be a bad business choice. They have 10 classes and I am sure there are conflicts with some of those classes also. Complaining about any group offering more choices to racers does not make any sense to me. If there is a conflict you have a choice, pick an event and go and have a good time. I would say that STK/SS racers have more choices with NHRA, NMCA and all the STK/SS shootouts than any other race classes outside of bracket racing. I feel lucky that it is pretty easy to fill my race calender.

Thanks, Doug Duell STK 350 SS 351

^^ This

Their schedule in 2015 and 2016 was very similar this year's schedule when they included the class cars.

Plus, I doubt there is one NHRA racer that was planning on going to every NHRA race that is close ( distance wise ) to the NMCA scheduled races

Last edited by ALMACK; 11-16-2017 at 07:12 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote