HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 12-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts
Default '03 Silverado Delco/Bose CD changer help

On the way to Indy this past week, the Delco/Bose CD changer in my '03 Silverado jammed while ejecting a CD. I never could get it to reset. I got home, pulled the CD changer out of the dash, and got all my CD's out. I put it back together correctly. However, even with the CD's removed, and the unit correctly re-assembled, I still get the same "Initializing" message that never ends (I let it try that for an hour tonight), although it does know there are no CD's now.

I've heard that you have to go to a dealer and have them update the software. I tried a couple of "reset" methods, without any result. Is there any way to fix this without a trip to the dealer? I despise taking my track anywhere, they always try to pile on needless "repairs". I'm sure they'll want $200, and for not much more, I can replace it with a Pioneer unit.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: '03 Silverado Delco/Bose CD changer help

Try disconnecting the battery for 15 min or so. Sometimes this will reset them or so I have heard. I believe there is a bulletin on them for a firmware upgrade but not positive on that. I will try and check on that when I get to feeling better if you send me the last 8 of you VIN number. If you change the radio I think you need something called a Data link to make a aftermarket radio work with the factory speakers. Might check with a car audio store about that before you spend the money on the radio.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Rob,
Thanks for the reply. I'll send you the VIN. I hope you get feeling better soon.

Crutch field has the complete kit to install the Pioneer head unit and make all of the OE stuff work.

They have a data link adapter that makes all the chimes play through the new radio, as well as an adapter to make the steering wheel switches, and an adapter for Sirius/XM. It takes minor modifications to install it, but I saw some pics, and it is super clean, you just see the new unit as it should be, no gaps, and no visible adapter.

Last edited by Alan Roehrich; 12-16-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Alan Roehrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

Alan-- sent u a PM--- let me know how it works out---FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

I did have the unit out already, for about 2 hours, while I carefully disassembled it and removed the CD's. I reassembled it, and reinstalled it. It is stuck "inititializing". I figured it being out of the truck for 2 hours was easily as good as pulling the fuse for 15 minutes.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Mark Ruset

Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Alan here is a copy of a GM Service bulletin, it sounds like your cd player will need to be sent out for repair:
CD Errors
– E20 or CHECK CD :
Cause(s): The CD player cannot focus on the disc or there is an internal focus problem.

Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If the problem is not corrected, service the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

– E21 or CHECK CD :
Cause(s): There is a problem with reading the disc

Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

– E22 or PLAYER ERR :
Cause(s): The CD motor is not handling the compact disc properly.

Correction(s): Service or exchange the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

– E23 or PLAYER ERR :
Cause(s): There is a vehicle/radio communication problem or an internal radio communication problem.

Correction(s): Disconnect battery voltage to the radio and then reconnect after a few minutes. If there is still an error, send the unit to an ACDelco® Service Center.

LLAI CD Changer Errors
– E30 : Focus Error
Cause(s): The CD player cannot focus on the disc or there is an internal focus problem.

Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

– E31 : Tracking Error
Cause(s): There is a problem with reading the disc.

Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or try using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

– E32 : Motor Error
Cause(s): The CD motor is not handling the compact disc properly or defective magazine mounting screws are interfering with the mechanism.

Correction(s): Reload the magazine. If there is still a problem, replace the magazine. If the problem continues, back out the mounting screws. If the condition is corrected, replace the screws with shorter screws or add washers to the existing screws. If this condition still exists, service the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

– E33 : CD Changer Communication Error
Cause(s): There is a vehicle/radio communication problem or internal radio communication problem.

Correction(s): Disconnect battery voltage to the radio and then reconnect after a few minutes. If there is still an error, determine if the problem is with the radio, the harness or the changer. Inspect for correct voltage at all connectors. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

– E34 : Changer Door Open
– E35 : Changer Magazine Empty
Old 12-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Mark, thanks for the reply. With the reputation these things have for repeated failures, I'm not spending more than $100 on it. I'll just bite the bullet and pony up for a killer Pioneer rig that works with all my stuff, even Bose, steering wheel switches, and adds bluetooth, navi, XM/Sirius, and a rear view camera to mount on my headache rack for the gooseneck ball. It might be $600 for all of it, but it will be more reliable, and more useful.

Have a Merry Christmas, Mark, and a Happy New Year.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Mark Ruset

Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you Alan. I found a guy on ebay that repairs factory radios with cd problems. I sent him my wife radio out of her Toyota Avalon. He repaired it for $165.00. Just another option to think about.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ruset View Post
A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you Alan. I found a guy on ebay that repairs factory radios with cd problems. I sent him my wife radio out of her Toyota Avalon. He repaired it for $165.00. Just another option to think about.
I did consider that Mark. However, a little research showed that the CD changer in my truck, no matter how much I love my truck, is not a good piece. Even if it is repaired, odds are, it will fail again, as much as I tend to use it. It's just one of those areas where GM dropped the ball. I'm keeping this truck, for a long time. I'd rather pay more and solve the problem on a more permanent level.