HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 09-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Liked 530 Times in 117 Posts
Default Thoughts on 450 Mercedes/meritor trans combo

I have been looking at haulers/motor homes with this engine trans combo. It seems to be the most available. I checked with the service department at our local Freightliner shop and was told Thad the Freedom trans was no longer imported to the U.S. And that there had been some issues with head gaskets/cylinder liners in the 450. I have a hard time believing that there is a huge problem but would like some real world comments.
4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Thoughts on 450 Mercedes/meritor trans combo

I have a 2006 showhauler with this engine transmission combination that I bought brand new and have never had any kind of problem with it. I pull a 34' stacker trailer with it and have since I bought it new. I am considering downsizing my operation since I no longer own 2 cars if you have any interest in my rig let me know.
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Of course you know Benz owns Freightliner, so that is the standard motor, and the larger DD and Cummins and Cat (when they made them) are an extra cost option. The 450 if I remember makes 100 ft/lb less tqe than the other motors. I think the other motors (depending on year) make 1650 tqe. I think those have to be detuned for an Allison, but the clutchless computer trans will stand the 1650 and the Allison will handle 1550. The new combos are using the 600 Cummins with 1850 tqe which require a larger trans mainly the main shafts have to be much stronger. I don't know about the endurance of the MB 450, and I don't know how big the motor is. Most of the other brands are 14L or 15L or so I don't know. Cummins makes an 11L motor @ 450 I think and has been a good piece. Runs at higher RPM. Most are governed at about 18 to 1900 rpm. Peak around 1300 or so. I would rely on the dealer or someone from a large fleet for info. I don't know if this helps. We make sure all the motors in our fleet are full of DCA which prevents the fault you are speaking of. If you let those trucks sit around without DCA in the water system, it will have plenty of time to make holes in the cylinder walls. We have about 1500 lease trucks, and do service a couple hundred more. We are a KW dealer so we don't have too much experience with those other than fleets we buy out and has some of them in the fleet. I like the meritor trans better. It's not as efficient as the Eaton brand, but it backs up much better. Also had less trouble with them as opposed to the Eaton.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

I have the 2011 Freightliner Mercedes. It had injector defect on second trip and since it was sitting at lot for more time than warranty I paid the bill. Otherwise fine.
First unit I had was having shifting problem due to temp in trans tunnel affecting one relay.(that was the story) after some move of this it worked fine. Love the truck.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #5

Liked 530 Times in 117 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Guess now I have to decide. Mike
4543 is offline   Reply With Quote