HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #3141
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Never been much said about this one. Found it months ago.
Draglist says Lynwood Craft out of Virginia had one.
Any history available? Real LO23? Where did it come from? Where did it go?

Last edited by Charlie A; 07-06-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #3142
davezinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s View Post
Car pictured is the same car.Confusion is over which Mancini car was uncut etc.Ron's car (Gil Clark,Mancini,Irish Rover) never had roll bar or tubs.They had several Darts some real some not.

don't get me wrong here, i'm not trying to bash the yellow Mancini car at all. there just seems to be a lot of BS/legend out there in regards to that car being uncut/unmolested. if it is the same car as the green one there was clearly a rollbar in that car and it was prepared and raced, that would also clearly make that car.........molested. that's where I have an issue with it, with the claims that it's unmolested, uncut and so original, when it really isn't.
davezinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #3143
Charlie A
VIP Member

Red racecar day :

Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #3144
Charlie A
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezinn View Post
don't get me wrong here, i'm not trying to bash the yellow Mancini car at all. there just seems to be a lot of BS/legend out there in regards to that car being uncut/unmolested. if it is the same car as the green one there was clearly a rollbar in that car and it was prepared and raced, that would also clearly make that car.........molested. that's where I have an issue with it, with the claims that it's unmolested, uncut and so original, when it really isn't.
Unmolested example below. Anything other than this has been "fondled". lol

Last edited by Charlie A; 07-07-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #3145
Steve Stasko

Liked 231 Times in 122 Posts

Given the nature of these cars, I would venture to say that if they still have their original floors, frame rails, and body panels, they are unmolested. The roll bar that was in the car when it was green was a bolt in deal. I know the guy who put it in.

The car was never very fast when it was green, maybe high 10.90's at best. The car was regularly beaten by well prepped B and C cars in the area.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #3146
Charlie A
VIP Member

Agree. They were built to be racecars, not collector cars.

How current day owners and sellers represent them is as like any other used car..."Buyer Beware".

Moving forward on the efforts to identify Daryl's Dart ......that really is how all this began. Dang, what a LO23 Hemi Dart lesson this has become.

Last edited by Charlie A; 07-08-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #3147
Charlie A
VIP Member

Wheels Up!

Old 07-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #3148
Charlie A
VIP Member

Blue Dart Day!

Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #3149
Travis0117

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi Guys great thread. I figured I would throw in what I know about a Dart that seems to be a little bit of a mystery, I will preface this buy saying I got all my info from the original owner but when it was relayed to me it was 25 year old info and we all know how memories can be. I'm sorry if you all already know this info this thread is over 300 pages long and while i have spent a few hours over the course of a couple of weeks digging through this thread I didnt see the info I am going to give.

The car I am referring to is on the list as #61 owned by Rick Kent. The story as I know it the car was bought as a 21st birthday present for Rick (Some dad huh) I have heard 2 stories of its arrival on the train to Salt Lake City where it was picked up. The one from Rick is that they get to the train yard and there are a pair of black streaks 50 yards long from the ramp of the train to where the car sat in a puddle of oil with a rod hanging out of the side of the block. The story I got from Ricks dad Gilbert was that during the shipping the car had leaked all the oil out of the pan and when it was unloaded off the train the dry engine quickly ate itself alive. 2 slightly different stories same out come. Either way soon a new long block was delivered and installed but this also means the original engine for this car was junked and never ran.

A few interesting details I know about the car. According to Rick its an early car and came with the side mirrors deleted and welded over it did not have the little delete plates you see.

I have seen with my own 2 eyes that the original crossram had at 1964 cast date. Not sure if this was common but was an interesting fact.

In 68 it was raced in SS/B as "Instant Action" in red white and blue scheme but wore that paint only brifely. Was replaced after just a few months with the name "Rick Kent" on the doors for the 69 season.

Its funny to note that one of the places in this thread that this car appears is a small magazine article saying "No more broken engines for Rick Kent" By Ricks own admission he was hard on engines. Breaking 9 crankshafts in the first year alone (the story was believable as there was a literal pile of broken hemi cranks under his work bench)

When Pro Stock came out the car was prepped and raced in that class for 1970 and 1971 after 71 the car was still ran very frequently but in modified production. During this time the car was repainted a dark maroon color and sported a snorkel scoop and tunnel ram still with the original superstock leaf springs and ladder bars. The trans tunnel was cut out to fit a Liberty transmission it even had a D-5 Hemi at one point (But the engine never ran well) It never returned to superstock trim. In about 80 or 81 Rick built a new car (A Dodge Mirada ) and the Dart was stored at Ricks shop and very occasionally bracket raced.

In the early 90's as things tend to happen some cash flow is needed and the car is sold to a Idaho mopar collector named Cal Percy (His son Jon currently runs a Barracuda in SS/AH and a 64 lightweight in SS/A) who in turn sold the car to his brother Jim Percy. Jim had it repainted and had a automatic trans fitted to it. (For that matter the original slick shift 4 speed transmission for this car is stored under my bench having purchased it from Rick 20 years or so ago ) It sported a 470 inch Hemi with a early Ray Barton Cast cross ram. During this time the car RARELY saw the light of day. Maybe maybe once a year it would go to the track and make a pass. In the early 2000's Jim sold the car. All i know is the car went to SoCal beyond that I know nothing.

When it left Idaho it was still in fairly original condition. It had never been fully tubbed or 4 linked. The streering had been replaced with a pinto rack and pinion but other than the trans tunnel no major surgery had ever been performed on it. It still wore its orginal leaf springs with only ladder bars being added.

I'm going to compile all the pics of this car into one place so people can link them together. The first pic will be the way the car looked when it left Idaho.

This is how the car originally looked

How the car looks now.

Ricks shop used to be a literal library of history and information. There were piles of hemi intakes under the bench (I still own a particular hemi tunnel ram that was cut up and ported by Mike Chapman then re-welded together) literal stacks of camshafts, I remember seeing Crane R294 cams piled up all on different lobe separation from 102 degrees to 112 degrees.

Sorry for the long post I know a lot of the info I provided isnt particularly useful but it does give some of the back story on this particular car.

Thanks
Travis
Travis0117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #3150
Charlie A
VIP Member

Today's Hemi Dart. Keepin' it Southern !