HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 04-26-2018, 12:24 AM   #321
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

I don't recall seeing it mentioned earlier in the thread. What brakes are you using up front?
Old 04-26-2018, 12:47 AM   #322
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
I don't recall seeing it mentioned earlier in the thread. What brakes are you using up front?
I'm told they're the same a GM brakes from the early 70s. It's a Right Stuff disc conversion kit. I bought it when I was still planning this as a street car. I may upgrade to much lighter discs this summer, these are very heavy.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #323
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

If brake pedal travel is the issue are there residual valves in the system?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #324
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 689 Times in 183 Posts

Great Looking Car Dave.
Thanks for sharing the build with us.
Good Luck Racing This Year.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #325
Dave Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
If brake pedal travel is the issue are there residual valves in the system?
Pedal travel has not been a problem and it's a minimalist system, no residual or proportioning valves, just the master cylinder, wheel cylinders/calipers and the tubing that connects them.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #326
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Muller View Post
Pedal travel has not been a problem and it's a minimalist system, no residual or proportioning valves, just the master cylinder, wheel cylinders/calipers and the tubing that connects them.
I have found if the pedal is good but fades (no system leaks) it's a master problem.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #327
Dave Muller

That's what I was thought was most likely. Hopefully that'll do it. I hope to be able to check for leaks this weekend. Just need to enlist my son to press the pedal while I look everything over.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #328
Dave Muller

With a little assistance today I did some more testing on the brakes. No leaks, and it holds pressure a lot better. I see it dropping 50 PSI or so sometimes, but I think that's just me imperfectly maintaining pedal force. It's easy to get it over 1000, and as long as it stays over about 550 the 2-step should stay engaged.

I'm looking forward to taking the car out again, which is planned for the ADRA race on June 9th. Other than that I don't expect to run the car before the Salt Lake races. I'll just focus on the Summit Series with the Camaro.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #329
Dave Muller

Well, it's been a while since I did anything significant to this car. Instead of upgrading anything I've been spending all my money on travel, race gas and entry fees. The best ET so far is 12.383 (-.617) at Sonoma.

I had some issues with getting the pressure switch and 2-step setup working well, and then problems with the distributor clamp (of all things!) but those seem to be sorted out now.

I managed to scrape together enough money this month to finally do something that will hopefully make a difference; replacing the heavy stock-type disc brakes with Wilwoods.

So here's the setup I started with:

I weighed components as they came off and weighed the counterparts before installation. I removed 40 lbs. from the front of the car, about half of it rotating weight.

I found in the process though that the left lower ball joint had popped out of the a-arm! I'm not sure how that happened but now I'm planning to replace the whole setup there, a-arm, ball joint and bushings to get all fresh parts there.

Once that's fixed I'll have two AZ Stock/Super Stock Association races to check it out and get some practice driving, then I'm off to the Winternationals to cross that off the bucket list. Although a big motivation to run Pomona is that my son is currently living in the LA area so I'll get to hang out with him for the weekend!
Old 12-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #330
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Dave! Nice to hear from you again. I enjoyed your project build up as I have enjoyed other racer's build stories on here. I noticed you mentioned an issue with the distributor bolt.Were you using a bolt or a distributor mounting stud, washer,and nut? I found that some of the bolts would bottom out in the intake giving you the impression that they were tight when they really weren't allowing for the distributor to move at the wrong time allowing the timing to retard itself as the engine ran. That's another of the little foxes that rear their heads at the wrong time and spoil the vine.
Glad to hear you got into Pomona. I'm going to watch, probably all four days. I get there early, watch the real racers all day Thursday, get there early Friday and Saturday, then leave after they are done. If I want to hear the loud stuff, I go outside when I'm home.
Take care, have a nice trip out, see you there!
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote