HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 05-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Mike Corbett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default which is faster- VP C-11 or C12

Hey what has everyone had better luck with- VP C-11 or C-12 fuel. Just curious? Thanks for your input!
Mike Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Aubrey N Bruneau

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Aubrey N Bruneau
Wink Re: which is faster- VP C-11 or C12

I just bought fuel a few days ago... wanted C11... only had C12.
He said that the C11 is for oval track racing with restrictor plates and up to 11:1 compression.
To me, that translates to a typical Stocker engine... often somewhat limited in optimum carb CFM, and modest compression ratio.... IE, cylinder pressures that are not right out there.
Sounds like C11 would be the fuel for most Stockers ?
But damn, this stuff can be hard to get around here.

If your'e under an actual 10.5:1... I'd suspect the C11 would be more efficient.

BTW, I'm no whare near the xpertise level of some of the guys here, but I DO tune...
so don't take me as the gospel... but just a few words from it
Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts
Default Re: which is faster- VP C-11 or C12

What makes the most HP depends entirely upon the combination. Also, to get the most out of a particular fuel, you have to do a ton of carburetor and timing tuning. There is no easy cut and dried answer. Every combination is different, and some carburetors, if you run a carburetor, do not tune easily, and may be near impossible to get tuned to a particular fuel.

Personally, I hate C11, it always left out fuel systems filthy. I got better performance from C12, but passing fuel check was hit or miss. The price of VP fuel is absurd, considering you may get a batch that fails fuel check 2-3 times more often than it passes.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Aubrey N Bruneau

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

excellent, Alan !
I'm about to trailer 750 miles one way, to the only race I'll be able to attend, with $210.00 of fuel, that probably won't pass for qualifying ?
ah yes, this is getting better and better !

Interesting about tyhe C11. Good to know.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts

Aubrey, the best advice I can give you with C12 is to NEVER, under ANY circumstances, allow it to be exposed to the atmosphere for long periods of time. keep it sealed up in any container you have it in. Take your jugs and turn them upside down. If they leak, either fix the leak or replace the jug. Either drain your fuel cell, or seal all the vents. If you buy it by the drum, keep the drum sealed with the bungs, and use bung wrenches.

I should, in the interest of fairness and honesty, disclose that we do not use VP C12 anymore, we're on the Sunoco program now, we use Sunoco Supreme.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

9.5-1 5.0 Ford. Arco 91 octane is .05 quicker than any legal race gas I have tried. Its a shame some of us have to buy something that we really don't need.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Aubrey, the best advice I can give you with C12 is to NEVER, under ANY circumstances, allow it to be exposed to the atmosphere for long periods of time. keep it sealed up in any container you have it in. Take your jugs and turn them upside down. If they leak, either fix the leak or replace the jug. Either drain your fuel cell, or seal all the vents. If you buy it by the drum, keep the drum sealed with the bungs, and use bung wrenches.

I should, in the interest of fairness and honesty, disclose that we do not use VP C12 anymore, we're on the Sunoco program now, we use Sunoco Supreme.
X2 on the Sunoco never had a problem.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
Aubrey N Bruneau

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Hey, I know what....
I'll drain this 10 gallons of C12 out of the car, and add it to the pump gas in the fuel tanks on my tow rig ! About 1 gallon C12 to 5 gallons pump premium. DAMN this truck ran nice when I did that before ! ( great for pulling the big hills through BC ! ) Pretty expensive haul though.

I used Sunoco before. Absolutely, stuff worked just fine, and seemed easier to tune too.
We'll see. Race fuel in Canada is awful expensive.

Bought two sealed 5 gallon drums, Alan.... fresh batch. Should be good.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #9
rustbucket79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Might be worth hauling the sealed pails to the fuel check station and have it tested before you put it in the car. Make sure you have fresh fuel up to the fuel check access point prior to making a pass, would be a shame to have some old fuel screw you're first qualifier.
rustbucket79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Pedigo Perf

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket79 View Post
Might be worth hauling the sealed pails to the fuel check station and have it tested before you put it in the car. Make sure you have fresh fuel up to the fuel check access point prior to making a pass, would be a shame to have some old fuel screw you're first qualifier.
After you refill fuel system in the car, take it to fuel check and make sure it passes before you make a run. It may take some flushing out to get rid of old C12 to the point you will pass fuel check with the new fuel in the car. Speaking from experience.

Also, the specific gravity is significantly different from C11 to C12 and requires jet change just to get an apples to apples comparison. Of course there are other considerations such as fuel curve change and timing requirement may even change a little. Replacing one fuel for another without re-tuning wont give you a fair assesment.

Lower compression (less than 11-1) engines typically make better power on C11, my combo is closer to 12-1 and it make about the same power either way so I run C12 as it is easier to get and cheaper too. I have considered trying C11 at Denver but we haven't been able to test there. I have a hunch it may be faster at altitude as cylinder pressure drops up there.

Tracy Pedigo
Pedigo Perf is offline   Reply With Quote