HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-31-2022, 04:01 PM   #81
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts
Default Re: Grade Point Alternative

Jason National event quota's I believe started to be published to racers around 2002-2003. before that you had to send NHRA a list of events you wanted to run at and there was an NHRA form you filled out each year for this, then they would approve or disapprove you for the events you requested based on how many grade points you had from the year before. Only down fall to this was NHRA did not tell you how many GP you need to run to be eligible for each national event. It was a guessing game for most. Back then the main unwritten rule was if you ran all your division races you were never denied entry to any national event.

But as we all know rig size grew from 20-24ft trailers and pickups to Toter homes and semi making parking/event space more of an issue. NHRA also claims staying on time with live TV time friday-sunday is there main reason for cutting sportsman entry numbers. (yes I know most of the TV time is not live, Its NHRA excuse not mine) Also with most national events being 3 days now, there is just not the time for 100 car sportsman fields without adding days on the front side of the event which NHRA clearly has no interest in doing.

I mean the easy fix is make these event quota's 80 cars and only take 64 for first round( all but U.S. Nationals ).

Plus side
No Bye runs
No 7 round events
put a little performance back in the class
No sand bagging because you would haft to qualify for the event
AHFS would actually have a chance to would work

Down side
Slow class racer crying they can't qualify
NHRA having to deal with how to get rid of extra revenue, while at the same time not giving it to the racers

The crazy part of this is if you did this at a race like the gators for stk and ss it will be $21,000 more revenue (an extra 30 stk entry's and 30 SS entry's x $350) for the event. It would only be 7 extra pair for round one in each class.

Last edited by Charley Downing; 12-31-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:12 PM   #82
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,701 Times in 1,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Shepard View Post
I personally just finished my 3rd year of class racing, but I have been going with my dad since the late 80's. Back then, and through the 90's, there were no quota's. Wouldn't everyone benefit from no quota's? NHRA would make more money, racers with lower grade points could enter any event they choose. Some racers may never compete for a championship, but want a chance at a Wally 2 or 3 times a year. Why has NHRA established quota's? Interested in everyone's answers on this....
Jason, it’s all part of NHRA’s business plan …LOL. !!!
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:18 PM   #83
Jason Shepard

Liked 98 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
Jason National event quota's I believe started to be published to racers around 2002-2003. before that you had to send NHRA a list of events you wanted to run at and there was an NHRA form you filled out each year for this, then they would approve or disapprove you for the events you requested based on how many grade points you had from the year before. Only down fall to this was NHRA did not tell you how many GP you need to run to be eligible for each national event. It was a guessing game for most. Back then the main unwritten rule was if you ran all your division races you were never denied entry to any national event.

But as we all know rig size grew from 20-24ft trailers and pickups to Toter homes and semi making parking/event space more of an issue. NHRA also claims staying on time with live TV time friday-sunday is there main reason for cutting sportsman entry numbers. (yes I know most of the TV time is not live, Its NHRA excuse not mine) Also with most national events being 3 days now, there is just not the time for 100 car sportsman fields without adding days on the front side of the event which NHRA clearly has no interest in doing.

I mean the easy fix is make these event quota's 80 cars and only take 64 for first round( all but U.S. Nationals ).

Plus side
No Bye runs
No 7 round events
put a little performance back in the class
No sand bagging because you would haft to qualify for the event
AHFS would actually have a chance to would work

Down side
Slow class racer crying they can't qualify
NHRA having to deal with how to get rid of extra revenue, while at the same time not giving it to the racers

The crazy part of this is if you did this at a race like the gators for stk and ss it will be $21,000 more revenue (an extra 30 stk entry's and 30 SS entry's x $350) for the event. It would only be 7 extra pair for round one in each class.
Another crazy thing...I remember when ALL 7 rds were on Sunday. And they got the whole damn race in!! Other than weather being and issue. And fuel cars used to oil the track down way more back then. It just seems to me we could use what they did in the past and learn from it......

I do understand the rig size issue....
Jason Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 06:24 PM   #84
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

Stock

Last edited by Casey Miles; 12-31-2022 at 10:50 PM.
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:26 PM   #85
1matcoman

Liked 283 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
NHRA having to deal with how to get rid of extra revenue, while at the same time not giving it to the racers.
I lol'd when I read this.
1matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-31-2022, 09:40 PM   #86
spike1

Liked 53 Times in 16 Posts
Smile Re: Grade Point Alternative

Hey Charlie Bob, we need to talk.
spike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 02:54 AM   #87
Chad Fergen

Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts

Money sent! Thanks!
Chad Fergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 09:11 AM   #88
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,534 Times in 1,977 Posts

If a former Champ entered Stock and Super Stock then withdrew from the two categories, would it be possible for them to enter S/G and Super Comp at the same race? If the Champs do that it would double the “Thank You”
fee to them if they withdrew again.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 09:21 AM   #89
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,534 Times in 1,977 Posts

If all the world Champs got in before the quota was met that would reduce the risk of it becoming over quota. That way one drop$ out and one get$ in.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:48 PM   #90
nolongerracing

Liked 70 Times in 25 Posts

Since NHRA will never raise the quota...

This may slow down Charlie's plan, which I think is genius but not practical, Is to have any replacement racer to have the same amount or more grade points as the original racer (an 8 for 8, 7 for 7...). A former World Champ's spot would have to be replaced by the grade point amount that met the quota (filled at 5, you would need 5+).
nolongerracing is offline   Reply With Quote