HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #81
tim worner

Liked 126 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Things you were bounced for in the olden days when there

73 Indy tech tossed for no seat belts pass side. Used to cut short bolts to put in lug nuts so they would come through looking long enough. 70,s Bristol after class runs was at P&G when a racer cranked his car over and it started blew the donut from the tube over the fence and nobody could find it. No more P&G that night.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #82
Joe Fasano

Liked 237 Times in 43 Posts

In 1968 I built a Biscayne with a big block to run B/Stock. After painting the car, I decided to tint all the Windows with Cal Custom Spray tint. Everyone was doing it. At the Englishtown WCS meet Greg was teching my car and said you better go buy a box of Brillo Pads because you are not running this car with that tint. I spent two hours scouring the Windows before he would sign me off. Just one of many memories.
Joe Fasano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #83
D.Johns

Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Piatek View Post
Got some plates welded/bolted in underneath along with exhaust tubing as a side bar, nicely painted and padded. I was nervous, but obviously had nothing to lose. Somehow, surprisingly, Mr. Valentine passed me early the next morning and I made first round. I was exhausted, nervous and redlighted very badly.
Bad pun intended? LOL

These stories are great Guys!

I've never been bounced but have had rule books reworded a few times afterwards
2014 Cobra Jet FS/XX #3345 STK/SS

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel...25886327426822
D.Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #84
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 726 Times in 177 Posts

I have been known to intentionally put something that a tech guy would make us change on the car when when going to a different division. He would find it, think he caught "that out of division cheater" and be satisfied. He would then stop looking and miss some "questionable" stuff. You never wanted them to look too close.

Was bounced once at Indy for having the front sway bar installed upside down on Bob Ayres' Grog '65 Chevelle.

Also at Indy in '86, my Camaro was making funny sounds out the exhaust after the semi-final for class. I started looking and found a shattered valve lock that allowed the retainer to push up against the bottom of the rocker arm. I changed the retainer and new locks, won class, and was bounced in the barn for 2 lb. too much seat pressure. Of course, they picked that cylinder by random! The other spring on that cylinder was 10 lb. under!

Lastly, at Memphis in '89, Rosy looked at the Corvette and said I needed a metal cover over the bottom of the plastic fuel cell and that the weight bar I had in the front of the radiator needed to be welded in place. I loaded up the car and went over the Kenny Faulk's place and worked most of the day to fix everything. Went back to tech at the shopping center parking lot to find the tech guys in their trailer playing cards. I handed my tech card to Rosy and he signed off without even stepping out of the trailer. I guess he had more faith in me than I would have. Because of the delay getting through tech, I got a choice pit spot in the mud! I did make it to the semis, though.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #85
Larry Fulton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Harsh Warning from Jerry Valentine D6 pts race - 1979 - we had a '67 Chevy II Post that we changed into a '66 (to run the 4-jet 283") J/SA... hindsight said we should have built a q-jet 327" for the car, and left it as the '67)... any way Jerry didn't like these....

- Dual Master Cylinder in place of the o.e.m. single... Replaced w/ o.e.m. single

- Didn't like the Seat Back Lock / safety lever... made us remove the lever right then & there, and put black electrical tape over the slot in upholstery

- too many small factory holes in the firewall... silicone had just become avail... smeared that over the holes

- Too much clearance around the fender-well headers... Added shields over headers

- Thought the narrow, hardly would fit, 7" wide Centerlines put the rear tires (firestone 28.5x9) too close to the inner wheel house... ( now most '66-'67 Chevy II's "Stockers" are running 8"-9" wheels with all kinds of clearance / deep offset, and room for a FULL 30"x9" or bigger???

**The things that are accepted today.... Boy how things have changed.

Last edited by Larry Fulton; 03-22-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Larry Fulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #86
mike withers

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

NHRA used to have tech at the Eastland Mall for Springnationals at National Trails. I saw a good looking Cobra jet fail tech because he didn't have a GT gas cap. He was so PO"d that he blew drive shaft out of his enclosed hauler when attempted to leave. That same morning, two lanes over I noticed a chevy on the back of a ramp truck that had a long section of fuel line hanging down(with numerous rubber hose splices) below the body and it sailed thru tech.

This one happened to me a few years later at same event(tornado nationals). I was using an open trailer and a tech guy after shoving down on the back of my AMX said I didn't have enough suspention travel. I said ok I can fix that and after getting a few wrenchs I crawled under the trailer and car. After I got back up and while wiping my hands on a shop cloth I asked him to check it again. The tech man checked it again and said "that is much better" and signed my tech card. I actually didn't adjust anything all I did was make some noise and get my hands dirty.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #87
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 770 Times in 230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordteacherguy View Post
Hey Alan, Thanks for pics of my old Corvair!

I bought that car from that owner that got busted (sans nitrous) and rebuilt it to legal stocker specs and ran Div 5 afterward. Later it became a streeter. I was probably standing by you when the car ran. I remember the car hit third gear and went pop-pop-pop and roared off to the finish! The tech guy next to me (You?) just looked at me turned around and went over to the return road and flagged him down to teardown.

What a show! Thanks for the memories. That car has been gone almost 25 years. FYI: I had the back seat out at tech with my first race with it!
Good to hear from you! No, that wasn't me you were standing by, it was Larry Bargman the Div. 5 Tech Director at the time. I was at the scales, heard the same thing and decided that a more.....errrrr....'thorough' look was called for when he came across the scale! Larry just stood quietly off to the side and watched to see what I came up with. The engine compartment was really dirty on the car...a little TOO dirty, if you know what I mean (nudge nudge, wink, wink). And there under all that filth was a line that had no place being there.

I do remember teching your car after you bought it and you coming through tech with the rear seat out. We all got a good smile from that and were happy the car was back on the track and in the hands of a good racer! Your car and the 'Slow Is Cheap' Corvair stocker (also from D5) were fast and fun to watch.

Good memories, for sure........ -Al
Alan Nyhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #88
Dave Gantz

Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts

These stories are great.
Imagine how many aren't being told. It would make a great book.
Dave Gantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #89
Rick Kolber

Liked 32 Times in 13 Posts

Not that I was dq'ed from any event, but in the late 70's after purchasing my ex-Foley SS/ea at Beeline divisional was told that I should not run those plastic see-thru fuel filters although I passed tech. Next divisional at OCIR I was going thru tech and someone came along and mentioned to the tech guy " isn't that bumper a little thin for this car" ( I had Steel front ) and the tech guy said they all came that way. Last time with my recently completed A/sa tech guy said you don't have the emblems on fenders (holes were open for where they should be) , Danny G said let
him pass....that was 83 OCIR World Finals...........
Rick Kolber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #90
Terry Knott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Back in 1977 or 1978 I was at the Springnationals in Columbus,OH. I was talking to a stock mopar racer(maybe a Rod Shop car),I know it was a A body........anyway he was saying he failed tech because his dome light cover was missing and one of his window crank handles was missing. He went to a local junkyard to get them and then he finally passed tech.
Terry Knott is offline   Reply With Quote