HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #71
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: 1978 Mustang II

Well spent today (Saturday) working on the Mustang II. After unbolting the R&P, that released the steering shaft. Once that was accomplished, the driver side header, pretty much slid into place. Only have them mocked up for now. Wanted to see if I had any clearance issues. Only current problem I see are the lines to the transmission cooler. John Pressing, if you read this, the headers fit great.

I've also measured out where the driveshaft loop needs to go. As well, I mocked up one of the universal traction bars. Looking at these, they just might work with minimal modifications. Originally, I had planned to cut the brackets off and weld them to another set of spring pads. I may be able to weld a couple of bars onto the bottom of these to make them adhere to the present spring pads. In addition use Billy Nees suggestion to clamp the springs. Just might have a workable combination here.

I have a laundry list of things to do to this car. I'd like to think I made some progress, in truth feel I've only created more work, LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	header driver side.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	23738   Click image for larger version

Name:	headers under car.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	23739   Click image for larger version

Name:	trac bar universal.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	23740  

95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #72
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It's been awhile since any real progress on the Mustang II has yielded any results. Finally something to report. We're not ready to race the thing yet, not by a long shot. It is getting close enough to maybe, get it to a track before long.

Finally got the new rear under the car. Upon taking it apart, the rear brakes were trashed. The shoes were eaten down to the rivets. Both drums had nasty grooves dug into them. A trip to the parts store and new shoes, drums and a hardware kit were purchased. It's been at least 5 years since I've done a set of drum brakes. I had forgotten how enjoyable it is to do them (snark intended)! My one screw up, I got the shoes reversed on one side, couldn't get the drum on. Thankfully, we only tore down one side at a time, after looking at the opposite side, saw the problem, lol.

After finishing the brakes. New studs were installed in the axles. When we installed the rear, it pushed one of the studs in, had to pry it back out and reseat the stud. Only got a couple smashed fingers and a blood blister to show for this. Rear end is in place and new wheel studs installed. Just going to use the stock axles for now. After we get the car sorted out, I'm going to get a good set of axles.

Then we removed the front seats and installed the driveshaft loop. I think that was the easiest part of the whole day.

Next I have new rotors and pads for the front. Get the long studs on them as well. I'm getting antsy. We think we're going to put the MSD dist in, redo some wiring. Put the new water pump and fan on it. Then wire up the tach and gauges. Haul the thing to the track and bracket race it some.

Wish I could be as close as Brent and Rich are. It's just not ready for Stock, yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Driveshaft loop under car.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	24719   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS loop side.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	24720   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear view studs.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	24721  

Name:	wheels with new studs.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	24722  
Old 07-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #73
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

You may be closer than we are buddy!
Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #74
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Spent today getting some things done to the Mustang II. We removed the old water pump. Took off the PS pump and all the old brackets. Boy, that cleared up some space. Gonna flush out and clean up the radiator. Reroute the transmission cooler lines and add an exterior trans cooler. For the time being removed and looped the PS lines to the steering box together. Poor mans manual steering. Eventually I'll get a manual rack and change it out.

For now we only have the water pump mocked up. Need to work on some different spacers. Figure out some belt length. Had to scavenge a backing plate from an old water pump and made a couple simple modifications to it. Not happy about having the car down. Not everything goes together as simply as I'd like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water pump.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	24814  
Old 07-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #75
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #76
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Spent a few minutes swapping bolts and spacers. After looking at a picture of a similar setup. Moved the aluminum bar around. This might be the best arrangement. Still need to determine a belt. This setup would allow me to use the fancy adjustment bar with the heim ends.

Got a pm from Mark. My converter is done. That changes the dynamic. So close, yet still so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wp2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	24822  
Old 07-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #77
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Hello, i have a question when you said the "pads were reversed" on the rear. I just did a 9 inch rear for a friends 64 Falcon. It was a junkyard rear that I started with without brakes. I believed I assembled the brakes right using a diagram, but one side the drum is tight. Seeing this is my first Ford experience i seem to run into these problems (on third set of front spindles-right now) Could my pads be "reversed" They seem to be the same side to side> I do.t want to hijack this thread, but i could use some help.
Will Lamprecht I/SA 65 Impala inprogress.
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #78
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,563 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impstocker View Post
Hello, i have a question when you said the "pads were reversed" on the rear. I just did a 9 inch rear for a friends 64 Falcon. It was a junkyard rear that I started with without brakes. I believed I assembled the brakes right using a diagram, but one side the drum is tight. Seeing this is my first Ford experience i seem to run into these problems (on third set of front spindles-right now) Could my pads be "reversed" They seem to be the same side to side> I do.t want to hijack this thread, but i could use some help.
Will Lamprecht I/SA 65 Impala inprogress.
Will , Robt. was talking about rear "shoes" not pads. And no , switching a primary shoe with a secondary won't, in itself prevent the drum from slipping on.
New drums, news shoes....you're gonna start out on the tight side. I suspect the shoes weren't centered..that's all.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #79
B/S 428

Liked 144 Times in 30 Posts

hi-I was wondering about the correct carb size for this combo-I looked on the NHRA website and it does not list venture size? tried researching the part number listed and found it is a 1.21 not a 1.08? thanks-Brian
B/S 428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #80
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,563 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B/S 428 View Post
hi-I was wondering about the correct carb size for this combo-I looked on the NHRA website and it does not list venture size? tried researching the part number listed and found it is a 1.21 not a 1.08? thanks-Brian
99 % of the 302 2v's have to use the 1.08 carb.
Apparently there is one that can use the 1.21,, but I'm gonna stay out of that situation.