HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #71
larrylomascolo

Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: 1969 Chevelle COPO 427

I have never seen a rear spoiler on a copo before,man,it don't look proper in my opinion,take it off and store it,,,,
larrylomascolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #72
RogerD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to the forum - my old Chevelle was never at the drag strip, just street racing & a few 'in the flats' impromptu races.
It is one of only a few "KAN" plant COPO Chevelles . . .
May be (most likely is to my knowledge) the only '69 COPO/Dick Harrell Chevelle . . .

http://www.maxchevy.com/features/201...bration-3.html
"Roger and Karen Day came out of Texas with this COPO Dick Harrell Chevelle that Roger had purchased new as a young man.
They had pursued it on a whim and were able to buy it unrestored and worn.
The just-completed 427” monster took home the Best of Show accolades."

Last edited by RogerD; 02-17-2015 at 03:26 PM.
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #73
PUSHERMAN CAMARO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

May be (most likely is to my knowledge) the only '69 COPO/Dick Harrell Chevelle . . .

A COPO is a 427 from the factory what did Dick Harrell do?
PUSHERMAN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #74
RogerD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picked up about $800.00 (couple of months wages back in the day) for a few hours work (paint stripes, hood locks, tach, motor tweaks and three emblems) . . .
Not much otherwise . . .

When the COPO's became available in '69, transplants were no longer required. Mostly, just minor motor mods and a few other 'touches' on the COPO's to make them stand out or perform better - similar to what Yenko did with COPO Camaro and Chevelle. Here's a link on a '69 COPO/Dick Harrell Camaro that tells a bit about the process:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea..._packages.html

In addition to the minor motor mods on my car, Harrell added hood stripes and locks, a Sun SST802 tach and three emblems. Most likely had my car in and out in less than a day - picked up good money for the time spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSHERMAN CAMARO View Post

A COPO is a 427 from the factory what did Dick Harrell do?

Last edited by RogerD; 10-16-2015 at 02:38 PM.
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #75
MrsDickHarrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As always, I try not to get too far in the middle on these issues that keep surfacing on the Dick Harrell name. Since 2009 I have read and listened to the embellishments of claims of my name, my deceased husband's name, plus my family's name to boost claims & value of this -------orange---- car. It is also important for me to mention the unnecessary, uncalled for, in addition to rude, arrogant emails and phone calls on the demands to license this car. Now I read about Roger D adding Dick Harrell's NHRA Drag Racing Hall of Fame induction to bolster his stories, which by the way it is the DON GARLITS INTERNATIONAL DRAG RACING HALL OF FAME, the most PRESTIGIOUS DRAG RACING HALL OF FAME that Drag Racing has to offer.

I was heavily involved and in charge of all paper work, conversions, repairs and any work that was performed in the DHPC the entire time it was in operation until it was closed due to Dick's death.

I had close contact with Dave & Norma Libby and Oop prior to Dave & Oop's passing. I also worked closely with them and other employee's in the shop with any and all work that was performed.

I try to always do what is right and strongly know the following statements are true and a fact:
"This orange-----car was never at DHPC and I have never talked to RogerD on the phone, nor have I seen RogerD in person & never have seen this orange car. There was never an invoice typed at DHPC on this orange car. I made no work order or conversion order for this car. I NEVER SAID THAT I TYPED THE DHPC INV FOR ROGER'S CAR. He took my comments & twisted them to fit his story."

These statements are made by me for another reason - to be in fairness to those people that have purchased a genuine Dick Harrell car.

I was there and I lived it and I am still living it!

CLAIMED HARRELL VEHICLES: UNDOCUMENTED: CERTIFICATES NOT ISSUED: Warning: Anyone purchasing cars purporting to be an authentic "Dick Harrell" car should ensure that the seller/owner has clear evidence of the right to use the Dick Harrell name. Suggestions for potential purchasers including a warning that anyone purporting to sell an authentic "Dick Harrell" car should have a certificate or letter of authenticity to prove that the car is authentic and can retain any Dick Harrell trademarks, etc.
http://forum.dickharrell.com/showthread.php?t=1228
MrsDickHarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #76
John Mason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's my old car from 1969 & 1970. Originally an aluminum head SS 396/375 4 speed. Dan Jesel convinced me a 427 was a better combo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	johnmason03.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	12230   Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Chevelle01.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	12231  
Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #77
chris ok

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Here's my old car from 1969 & 1970. Originally an aluminum head SS 396/375 4 speed. Dan Jesel convinced me a 427 was a better combo.
Wayyyy Coool John. Looks like some great memories.

Any other stories, pics or info on your car?

Chris.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #78
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 684 Times in 213 Posts
Cool Re: 1969 Chevelle COPO 427

Were those 427 COPO cars Malibu's or were they 300 Deluxe 2 door hardtops? That body style and series came out in '68,ran through '69, and was gone by '70 when the Malibu 2 door hardtop was the standard Chevelle. No post cars were made then except 4 doors. My red '68 stocker is a 300 deluxe 2 door hardtop. It differs from a Malibu by not having the side trim, has no back up lights in the bumper, they are relocated to the tail light lenses, has a different emblem on the rear panel, and no horizontal moldings across the rear panel under the deck lid. Also, the '68 300's had a simple Chevelle script on both front fenders behind the wheel opening. . The 69's were similar. That was the year of the 2 door post 396/375 horse option to counter the Plymouth Roadrunner.Wasn't that a neat time to be alive if you liked fast cars??
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #79
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 300 Times in 160 Posts

I had one of those 69 Chevelle 300 with the 396/375 Automatic trans no options NONE----other than hd suspension and posi---what a sleeper !!!!!!street raced that thing won enuf to buy a house !!!!! mine was burgundy with a black interior---- wish I still had it O'boy do I wish probably worth what a new house is worth now
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #80
John Mason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris ok View Post
Wayyyy Coool John. Looks like some great memories.

Any other stories, pics or info on your car?

Chris.
Had tons of stuff but it got destroyed in a rather nasty divorce. Those pics were sent to me by someone who had old Raceway Park News mags.
John