HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #61
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Boss Mustang stocker

We are rolling now...why does the race car always seem to turn into a storage unit for boxes?
Old 12-26-2015, 04:22 AM   #62
Dave Noll

Liked 220 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Diehl View Post
The official response from NHRA is I am going to delete post #15 and replace with babbit, darn it!....and also....the paperwork says they are not legal in the control arms either

The heads passed with flying colors

Just cleaning up some of the grey area before I get there
Congrats on the heads.

Sooner asked this question a couple years ago (roller spring perch). So are the roller perches ok but not the control arms. Officially speaking of course.

http://classracer.com/classforum/sho...ht=opentracker
Old 12-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #63
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Dave, I have not asked about the perches.

None of this would be an issue if I didn't tell everybody how fast I was going to go or how much power I can make...ect

With that being said, that's the purpose of this build thread, everybody reads the book a dif way. If I am going to set a record..lol, I want it to be legal to the T. What sense of accomplishment would it be if you are well aware that you are illegal or in the grey area and just have not been looked at yet?

I know that's how some don't see it, and others that have been doing things a certain way for years......but this is the way I am doing it.

As some have pointed out, if it does not say you can't, don't assume you can

let me ad one more thing...I am not a fan of the "protect your combo" at all, if there are performance rules to adhere to it should be run as a performance based program. I also understand that some combos have more favorable ratings than others and why they do what they do...if the program was run off national records in time it would fix all that

The 351 Boss 330 is one of, if not the toughest combo to build at 355hp that's why I selected it for the challenge, I will admit I have pondered the thought of changing to the 285 version though.

Rant over.....enjoy the rest of the build

Edit.....None of this is directed at you Dave, just the first line way up top about the perches..lol

Last edited by Bill Diehl; 12-26-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Bill Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #64
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,234 Times in 252 Posts

[QUOTE=Bill Diehl;491445]Dave, I have not asked about the perches.

None of this would be an issue if I didn't tell everybody how fast I was going to go or how much power I can make...ect

With that being said, that's the purpose of this build thread, everybody reads the book a dif way. If I am going to set a record..lol, I want it to be legal to the T. What sense of accomplishment would it be if you are well aware that you are illegal or in the grey area and just have not been looked at yet?

I know that's how some don't see it, and others that have been doing things a certain way for years......but this is the way I am doing it.

Should be a cool car! Heck if you are the only one running it, bombs away!

You might have to change your Signature to A,B,C,D stick
Old 12-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #65
JRyan

Liked 105 Times in 29 Posts

Let me tell a story about, "passed with flying colors".

Several years back I purchased a '86 Oldsmobile Stocker. It came with a new engine, with complete shortblock - remainder to be assembled, but the heads had been passed by both Div 6 & 7 tech people and were freshly done by a known engine builder.

Well I was going to Texas to race, so I drove West and picked up the car and left it with friends at Denver. I did look at the heads (307 Olds 317's), and they were bogus in my opinion, so I decided to take one along to get checked. One of the well known tech people agreed to check it out so I took it to him and left. I came back an hour or so later and he said, "its good to go". So it passed. Then I pointed out the three things that were obviously incorrect to anyone familiar with that head. After looking at them again he said, "Yeah I wouldn't be putting them on your car if I were you".

So! What does "passed tech" really mean. Some tech guy who doesn't know squat looked at it and said it was OK? Remember, I had three (one very knowledgeable) look at mine and passed it. I had to show him the problem areas. Did Bill show him the changed valve angles he talked about? Has the lifter bore angle change been addressed with tech? The heads wouldn't need that odd-ball looking pushrod hole if everything was still at STOCK angles (exh. 3 degree, int. 9.5 & 4.25 degrees off center). Did tech even check that? Do they ever? Maybe they should.

So Bill, if you want to be, "legal to the T", as you said, maybe you should point out these grey areas to the tech people as I did and THEN see if they pass. If they do, then go for it, but Stock as a class will be ruined if it hasn't been already.

Jerry
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #66
Dave Noll

I just ask it that way cause the perch is bolted to the A-arm, I guess I ASsumed a response from Glendora about a bearing on the A-arm would have included the perch since it could be seen as part of it. And a couple of the responses in Sooners thread left me with the question if it was OK to use the opentracker stuff in both places. But I did realize that the thread also made reference to SS cars, not just Stk. So I just ask, and a lot of guys on here have more experience with tech than I do. If I get mine under the # finally, I'll experience more than just "bracket" tech myself.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #67
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRyan View Post
Let me tell a story about, "passed with flying colors".

Several years back I purchased a '86 Oldsmobile Stocker. It came with a new engine, with complete shortblock - remainder to be assembled, but the heads had been passed by both Div 6 & 7 tech people and were freshly done by a known engine builder.

Well I was going to Texas to race, so I drove West and picked up the car and left it with friends at Denver. I did look at the heads (307 Olds 317's), and they were bogus in my opinion, so I decided to take one along to get checked. One of the well known tech people agreed to check it out so I took it to him and left. I came back an hour or so later and he said, "its good to go". So it passed. Then I pointed out the three things that were obviously incorrect to anyone familiar with that head. After looking at them again he said, "Yeah I wouldn't be putting them on your car if I were you".

So! What does "passed tech" really mean. Some tech guy who doesn't know squat looked at it and said it was OK? Remember, I had three (one very knowledgeable) look at mine and passed it. I had to show him the problem areas. Did Bill show him the changed valve angles he talked about? Has the lifter bore angle change been addressed with tech? The heads wouldn't need that odd-ball looking pushrod hole if everything was still at STOCK angles (exh. 3 degree, int. 9.5 & 4.25 degrees off center). Did tech even check that? Do they ever? Maybe they should.

So Bill, if you want to be, "legal to the T", as you said, maybe you should point out these grey areas to the tech people as I did and THEN see if they pass. If they do, then go for it, but Stock as a class will be ruined if it hasn't been already.

Jerry
valve angles are within the 1* allowed, they are exactly what you have printed in bold above "stock" as ford machined them...as you should know... castings very from batch to batch, that's why it "looks" like they have been changed when in fact they have not, which is why I have said...these are the best set yet. The rules do say you are allowed to clearance the pushrod holes.

as far as the lifter angles..... I have gotten a dif answer as you have depending upon who you talk to. I have not crossed that bridge yet..

In honesty...I feel that if the razor blades for rings and gas ported spacer are legal, they are not spelled out as ya or ney in the book, but everybody uses them (the most expensive rings in all racing I might ad) I don't see what the problem would be with correcting the lifter angles as they are still .875 dia.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Diehl; 12-26-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Bill Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:59 AM   #68
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

The aftermarket "track Boss" 351C block is approved for NHRA stock/superstock applications.

Also there will soon be a Diamond Boss piston on the approved piston list too

Blocks and pistons should both be available in 2-3 months

info for those interested
Old 12-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #69
JRyan

Liked 105 Times in 29 Posts

The iron "Track Boss" block will be a welcomed piece by the Cleveland clan. I looked at the casting photos of the aluminum version and noticed a crusty old BOSS Dual Point Distributor sitting in it. Oddly enough, that crusty looking thing is probably worth half of what the block sells for.

Jerry
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #70
Dave Noll

Any idea on the price for the new block ? I've been looking @ Aussie blocks for a second, better, engine. A guy down the road sells them.