HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #61
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts
Default Re: Part of what hurt drag racing

Discouragement innitiated by THE HEAD RULES put an end to many beginning class racers hopes, so they decided to drop out and it has been down hill since then. In the beginning you had to be an "insider" to get a set of illegal heads and willing to pay the price. Guys decided "whats the use" ???...... it was controlled by a mafia that couldn't talk about it out loud but laughed about it in private circles. They know who they are, some of them are still living, they are still laughing but now there is nobody left to play the game with.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #62
randy wilson

Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts

Modified could be brought back today with affordable heads, and yes, we have the technology to police it. Tear downs could be made lots simpler, but you'd have to start at local tracks and get a base. Hell, I think I could spot an altered, or illegal head. But no, it will never happen.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #63
SSGN

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts

This is one of the best threads in a long time. Not negative just real opinions. It is kinda sad though. I hope there is a place in our future for a class type racing.

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #64
randy wilson

Now, this is just an opinion, so don't everybody bite my head off at once. In my opinion, if NHRA\IHRA were smart, they would start a divisional no break-out eliminator, with common sense rules to include most of what we have all shared here, and start slowly by having them booked for 4 or 5 appearances a year at different tracks in their division. This didn't happen over night, and will not be solved over night. They could start with 1 eliminator with 4 classes such as stock, modified stock, stock option, and super stock. Say Dart furnishes the spec head for one, AFR for another, RHS another, Brodix or World products another. Indexes would be fairly simple to set, in my opinion. Next eliminator, Econo Mod, Econo Altered, Econo Gas, Econo Hotrod, Econo Dragster, Econo Funny Car. Same thing. Designate, and include the manufacturer of the heads in each program. Start small, and let it grow. Would it? Who knows, but it includes basically all types of vehicles, and should stay relatively affordable. Have a racers board tech teardowns. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #65
Bimbo Jones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an open trailer for my wagon and I get my share of thumbs up but coming home after midnight from the races I also get my fare share of crazies. I've had people try to toss things into the windows(note to self, always roll up windows). I've seen drunks lean out of their cars and try to touch the side of my wagon at 60 plus MPH. I had two cars try to force me to exit and then followed me when I did exit so I drove to the police station which caused them to speed off. Attention to your race car isn't always an positive thing.
Bimbo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #66
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Randy, I agree as you know with the /b per cubic inch basic head rules you suggest but I suggest ONE class. Get it going like Modified and watch it expand participation. I bet week end local tracks could benefit from the "show" if they used it. I also think the bracket racers would love to see themselves in the spotlight and attempt to join the class.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #67
randy wilson

Dick, I'd LOVE to have one heads-up class that fit my car perfectly. Trust me. That would be my dream. But naturally I'd want it to conform to the car I already have. That was my thoughts, that no eliminator will fit all cars wanting to go back to racing no break-out. If you do one class, you'd have to let just about any chassis combo in as long as they make weight. Which is fine with me, but don't know how it would go over. The reason I stated those 8 or nine classes in two eliminators was to include unmodified chassis on up. Was just a thought.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #68
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbo Jones View Post
I have an open trailer for my wagon and I get my share of thumbs up but coming home after midnight from the races I also get my fare share of crazies. I've had people try to toss things into the windows(note to self, always roll up windows). I've seen drunks lean out of their cars and try to touch the side of my wagon at 60 plus MPH. I had two cars try to force me to exit and then followed me when I did exit so I drove to the police station which caused them to speed off. Attention to your race car isn't always an positive thing.
Yep...when I return home I always keep an eye on who or what's behind me and IF I suspect anything weird , like a follower, I have a plan for that. ( part of that plan includes continuing on past my house ).
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #69
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 442 Times in 201 Posts

there still are some S/SS racers using open trailers what makes a enclosed trailer so great ?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #70
FINESPLINE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here is a question to ponder .

Ask a person on the street, HOW IS A RACE DECIDED ? DOES NOT HAVE TO BE CARS-----TWO PEOPLE RUNNING----ANY COMPETITION BETWEEN TWO OBJECTS GOING FROM POINT A TO POINT B.
THEIR ANSWER WILL BE---WHOEVER GETS THERE FIRST IS THE WINNER.

IN THE PRO CATEGORIES LIKE TOP FUEL / FUNNY CAR / PRO STOCK WHOEVER GETS TO FINISH FIRST------WINS !

SPORTSMAN RACING ---------NOT----OH, MAYBE ONCE IN A WHILE, BUT NOT THE NORM.

NHRA PLAYS TO THE SIMPLE. NO EXPLANATION NEEDED.

UNTIL SPORTSMAN RACING CAN OFFER SOMETHING LIKE THAT, THEY CANNOT COMPETE WITH THE PROS. HEADS-UP RACING IS VERY EASY TO UNDERSTAND AND TO THE NEWCOMER BRINGING HIS FAMILY TO THE RACES, THATS WHAT THEY UNDERSTAND !!!

Last edited by FINESPLINE; 09-17-2014 at 05:09 PM.
FINESPLINE is offline   Reply With Quote