HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-22-2023, 10:06 AM   #51
Ron Ortiz

Liked 260 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Divisional Spectator Attendance

Did you ever notice that there are movies out there showing the new blood all about cars. Like a series of Fast & Furious. There aren't too many "American " brands. Ya got drifting, circle burns, and side by side racing. Who's gonna go faster, bolt this on, add this, add that, go faster. So what do you think what the new blood thinks.

I have never seen a movie with class racing as a backdrop.
You could have a comedy where if you go real fast, but get penalized, but that would be a long running series where it becomes a documentary.

I've seen these different import events, there is a wide variety. Some of these cars are very fast, rather impressive, but they don't weigh much. Race fans like to see cars, and they like it when these cars are on the verge of losing it. We all hold our breath momentarily when we see that scenario, and then talk about it. And the stands are full.

I don't know about the future of our sport, I've seen the decline in attendance at divisional for a long time. NHRA is safety conscious and its racers are basically perfectionists trying to go faster in a structured environment. NHRA started out so that any car could run, there was a class for it, from pros to the little guy. There was no imports then. Times have changed, just look at the "American " manufacturers now compared to back then.

It's your choice what to do, me, I'm just about finished with my car for a return to Stock. I don't mind who I'm against, some fast COPO or Jet, a real quick A-G class car, any ole H-Q class car, time retardant R-W class car, or maybe, just maybe, any import.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:10 AM   #52
SBillinson

Liked 172 Times in 48 Posts

For thousands of years the Golden Rule has been "he who has the gold makes the rules." If we can find ways to pack the stands at divisionals then maybe NHRA and the tracks will begin to take notice.

Look at division 4 Comp. The racers have banded together to promote participation, make qualifying an event and increase the purse significantly. There's a full field in Noble this weekend, with drivers participating from far away places. Brogdon has invested heavily in the saving the class, and others are doing their part providing quality video and other incentives. The results speak for themselves.

There are more Comp cars at Noble than super stockers and almost as many as stockers.

While it's true that times have changed, and the glory days are probably far behind us, there's still opportunity to make an impact. Every time I bring someone in their teens or early 20's to the track, they have a great time.

If we encourage young people to attend and they show interest, we can always offer to help them build a car. Maybe invite them over to the garage or shop to wrench on a car and learn.

Event attendance is the key.

Why do people still go to the crappy town carnivals every year? It's free to get in, a fun environment and exciting. They spend money on cheap rides and games, and...funnel cakes.

Last edited by SBillinson; 04-22-2023 at 11:36 AM.
SBillinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:19 AM   #53
SBillinson

Liked 172 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy55 View Post
I had a thought, on Friday night of a points meet a car show where the racers line their cars on the track

like the pro's used to do back in the day and also include the locals to join and display their hot rods whether it be classic or imports.

Maybe something like that could get the community involved and create a friendly atmosphere.
Great idea.

Regardless of the naysayers, there are lots of ways to make the races an event that spectators want to attend.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:00 PM   #54
Dan DeBlasio

Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

One only has to look to Norwalk and how the Bader family fills the stands at their divisional race June 2-4. It will be a huge show there for sure. Promotion promotion promotion
Dan DeBlasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:26 PM   #55
Ron Ortiz

Liked 260 Times in 88 Posts

Watched the divisional from Reynolds GA. I could see the concession stand where they cook pork rinds but couldn't tell if they were open. On the spectator side there were three groups of people, one at halftrack, another at the starting line and the third under a big tree. I just find it hard to believe that fifteen years ago that side would be almost full. And now just an open field....at a drag race.....in Georgia.
And the NHRA TV video was choppy to boot.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:35 PM   #56
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,692 Times in 515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Ortiz View Post
Watched the divisional from Reynolds GA. I could see the concession stand where they cook pork rinds but couldn't tell if they were open. On the spectator side there were three groups of people, one at halftrack, another at the starting line and the third under a big tree. I just find it hard to believe that fifteen years ago that side would be almost full. And now just an open field....at a drag race.....in Georgia.
And the NHRA TV video was choppy to boot.
The concession stand was open. Also the ice cream stand at the end of the track was open. They had a festival going on that weekend in Reynolds. There were a few spectators there but could have been more.
That place is ok but has gone downhill of late. The bathrooms were dirty and the entire place seems a bit run down. The track was the best I have seen there in a while. I had my best 60 ft time ever at that track. And I think best ever for my current combo.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:31 PM   #57
BobbyH

Liked 60 Times in 17 Posts

Do the alcohol classes still need grade points like we do? If they are required to run Divisionals as we do, then there is the show........
BobbyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:54 PM   #58
Dave Polichena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
The concession stand was open. Also the ice cream stand at the end of the track was open. They had a festival going on that weekend in Reynolds. There were a few spectators there but could have been more.
That place is ok but has gone downhill of late. The bathrooms were dirty and the entire place seems a bit run down. The track was the best I have seen there in a while. I had my best 60 ft time ever at that track. And I think best ever for my current combo.
The place always had people in the stands when Ed & Dorothy owned it. It certainly has been neglected since then.
Dave Polichena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 02:05 PM   #59
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,692 Times in 515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polichena View Post
The place always had people in the stands when Ed & Dorothy owned it. It certainly has been neglected since then.
I saw Ed there racing super street last weekend. I wonder what he thinks when he ;looks at the condition of the facility. The current owner did some improvements up by the staging lanes also widened the pit road at the area past the scales. Fixed some of the entrance road that was full of big potholes. So some improvements have been done there.