HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #51
joe176

Liked 41 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

Hey Kenny....bogus or not..your car is badass and I like it.
joe176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #52
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 14,928 Times in 1,378 Posts
Default Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

Steve, that would give Demarzo one to many.

Thanks Joe, I can't wait to see your new ride.

Now I'm getting off topic, I have to be careful, the admin can be tough and he doesn't have much of a scene of humor.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #53
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Wink Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

"Now I'm getting off topic, I have to be careful, the admin can be tough and he doesn't have much of a scene of humor."

Boy Ken, you said a mouth full! Admin can be a real pri..........oh wait......ah........nevermind. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #54
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Ken,

Thanks for the rundown on your car. It is one fast s.o.b. when it needs to be, and I'm not at all sure that if you get it on "KILL" that you can't hold your own with the '08 Cobra Jets.

As far as it being a "paper car," it is only one of several, and if NHRA accepts that, what can anyone say?

I was only skeptical of the factor on it, because it at one time, was in my opinion, unrealistically soft in view of the generous cam lift, carb size, and compression ratio, compared with an OEM '68 Cobra Jet.

I don't know where that cam came from, or how it got into the Class guide, but I don't think the '68 Cobra Jets had anything approaching that that could be ordered as an "option" when they were new. My good friend, Div. V Ford racer, Denny Reed bought a brand new fastback/C-6 C.J. as soon as they were released, and I am sure he would have KILLED for a cam like that!!! LOL!

But, it is what it is, and if you (hopefully) get your car running flawlessly for INDY on Labor Day weekend, in AA/SA, I am sure that your heads-up race against one of these new supercharged 2008 C.J.'s will be worth the price of admission all by itself, to watch. I'd surely pay to see it!

Good luck with that! I think your chances are good.

Bill
Old 03-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #55
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 14,928 Times in 1,378 Posts

Bill,

My combo is rated at 400, unlike all the other Shelby's, I'm the only Shelby that runs the F5 head. I guess 400 hp is still soft for some, but I think I'm right in the pack with the fast guys.

The carb I use might be generous, but the compression is what it should be. All 67's Shelby's had a small combustion chamber along with a flat top piston. As far as the cam goes, the .490 lift cam that came in the 68 CJ's is not the same as the .500 lift that came in the '67 Shelby. NHRA did allow us a optional cam at .527 lift for all Shelby and CJ's but this cam was listed in Fords 1968 High Performance Parts book. It actually tells you how to blueprint your 428 for stock and super stock. In stock it gives you compete engine blueprint specs and the optional .527 lift cam. I know this cam was disallowed back in 68 or 69, but Ford did give the option. I know that the argument will be made that Shelby's and CJ's did not come from the factory with this cam, but I wanted to let you know where the cam came from. It just did not come out of the blue so to speak. Although Shelby's do get some generous gifts, how many other combo's have received gifts also. I guess it comes down to the degree of presents you have received.

It does not bother me that other combo's may or may not be the way they came from the factory, I am not a purist, the class is dynamic not static, if it was, it would not have survived. Could you possible image us running with points and mechanical fuel pumps, steel wheels, inferior tires, stock exhaust? I could go on and on. Change is going to happen whether we like it or not.

NHRA made it legal, it is what it is. The only way it would be an advantage to me is if no one else was allowed to build one.

Looking forward to Indy, but to be realistic, out running the new CJ's will be one tough hill to climb.

Be careful Jim, the admin does not forget.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #56
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

[quote=Ken Miele; I know that the argument will be made that Shelby's and CJ's did not come from the factory with this cam, but I wanted to let you know where the cam came from. It just did not come out of the blue so to speak.

I COULDNT PASS THIS ONE UP......LOL. ITS CALLED THE "H" OPTION OR BETTER KNOW AS THE "HAWKSTER" CAM..........LOL IM JUST PULLIN' YER CHAIN KEN. You are right....the classes are dynamic and would be very boring if as you stated they ran as they came like in the 1972-73 rules. The et's, speeds, wheel stands make stock a very exciting class today.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #57
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Wink Re: Anybody know if Don Garlits is bringing the Challenger to Bradenton, FL this week

Thank you sir.... may I have another! Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #58
Bart Kilraine

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

ED Horenskys' is a '68 shelby.......different specs....look it up...Bart
Bart Kilraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #59
junior barns

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Ken, good explanation on all points. My father tried to run this cam way back in the day and the NHRA told him to go pound dirt!! Funny how things have changed; (mostly for the better!!)

Hope to see that car of yours at Indy this year! Maybe all the old cars should race each other to see who gets the right to race the new jc's for the win (or 2nd place) lol
junior barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #60
David Ley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to David Ley

Bart ,
All 4 Shelby's in D1 are different . Horensky's 68 uses the Canadian "J " head. Kenny's 67 uses the Dove F5 head . Hawk's 67 uses the Edelbrock small valve head and Adkin's 67 Stick car uses the standard Ford head.