HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #51
Pat Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Drive By Wire

Computers are really good at measuring stuff like 1320'. Speed sensor on a computer car is a output, it could be used to measure the distance of the race track down to a fraction. You would need a real time device to tell the computer where the the car was on the track verse what the computer is seeing from the speed sensor and compare them, say the real time sensor tells the computer that the car is at the 330' mark but do to tire slip the the speed sensor says it is at 331' you program the computer controlled throttle to slow the car down, or speed it up to what the car needs. And if you had enough reserve built into the car, it would react very quickly.

Optical speed sensors are available that are very accurate, accurate enough to be used in law suits when car company's are being sued and need precise data. That sensor would be the only sensor that would need to be hidden on the car. And that sensor is about 2" long by about 1" wide and 3/4" thick.

How much would it cost? a lot less than a 100k stocker.
Pat Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #52
magnumv8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

let's face it.....distance "counters" have been OEM for over 20 years and if people think that they haven't been used for racing purposes (this is the point where I throw my head back and laugh) they are just kidding themselves.....the VSS reads "CPM" counts per mile and some increments are so small that they are more accurate than anything GPS could ever think about doing.....

There should be a rule that ALL cars in stock, computer controlled or not, have no sensors or electrical connections after the engine block, this would give tech a lot fewer headaches when looking a car over....the sticking point now becomes the computer controlled valve body....I just don't think they should be in a class car.....

D L Rambo.....
magnumv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #53
Pat Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Within 5 minutes of searching the internet, found a real time speed sensor

http://www.gmheng.com/speed_sensor.htm
Pat Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #54
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Dealership techs can only refash the vehicle computers with factory calibrations. They have no "backdoor" into the software. I do custom calibrations for new car dealerships all the time, because they can't do it. This is how I have made my living for the last 15 years.

Requiring cable throttles would stop a lot of this silliness. Throttle control is not the only way to slow one down.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #55
dragracer9911

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hey Travis, does that mean the NHRA is not sending out 2011 Rules Books with the National Drgagster again this year with our membership?
dragracer9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #56
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,545 Times in 1,980 Posts

We are not talking about dealer technicians working on street cars. We are talking about a big corporation who's first mission statement when they got back into drag racing was I am sure "We are going to win". A little encryption goes a long way!
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #57
bottombulb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Andys dad;223607]
Do you really believe double 00 lights and dead on double 00s should happen as much as they do?QUOTE]

Yep. As much as I believe too many people think they're better drivers than they actually are.
bottombulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #58
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Come on Larry.....you're sounding like you have too much time on your hands.....lol

You need an EFI car to take up your time.....and keep these thoughts out of your head.....

A closed loop system is possible in any class...Of course it's possible

but its illegal.....that's why we don't do it...

Your Bad *** Mopar is certainly capable of having a closed loop system if it has an MSD....

You want to be known as a cheater??? we certainly don't.....

We usually have this discussion in super gas every winter....about this guy or that guy because his car popped at the finish line and he went dead on....and he wasn't looking or whatever....like everybody was watching and listening....

Most of you run dead on anyway without any help.....how would we know the difference....?

We have a conscience.....you're implying that some people don't....

(We do have mechanical linkage on our car)....lol

Rock Haas
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #59
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
Come on Larry.....you're sounding like you have too much time on your hands.....lol

You need an EFI car to take up your time.....and keep these thoughts out of your head.....

A closed loop system is possible in any class...Of course it's possible

but its illegal.....that's why we don't do it...

Your Bad *** Mopar is certainly capable of having a closed loop system if it has an MSD....

You want to be known as a cheater??? we certainly don't.....

We usually have this discussion in super gas every winter....about this guy or that guy because his car popped at the finish line and he went dead on....and he wasn't looking or whatever....like everybody was watching and listening....

Most of you run dead on anyway without any help.....how would we know the difference....?

We have a conscience.....you're implying that some people don't....

(We do have mechanical linkage on our car)....lol

Rock Haas
I didn't know closed loop was illegal? I haven't tried to run it that way because I've been afraid the O2 sensor would screw up a run for me. Now I don't have to think about it.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #60
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Art, I have tried closed loop, nothing there. Not had one single vehicle run faster or more consistent in closed loop. Just one more thing the carb guys think we are doing.

Not as silly as this drive by wire crap, can't think of anything lately that has quite come up to this level.

Btw, LT1 & LS1 Camaro/Firbirds all have cables.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 11-22-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote