HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #41
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts
Default Re: It's gonna be a long winter

You guys are waiting to talk to the wrong people. Instead of waiting for NHRA to listen, why not start talking to racers?

If there's one thing that this election cycle has taught us is that one guy with influence and leadership can mobilize a great many people who are sick and tired of being ignored and taken advantage of.

You have at least three serious hitters posting in this thread alone. If one or more starts mobilizing racers to boycott ALL national events this year, then perhaps NHRA will finally take notice.

For my money, I'd like to see that person create their own nationwide sportsman series that is indeed special for everyone. Look at what Pete Biondo has done with the Springfling, and others have done with Sports Nationals, etc.

Talk to Bader. Talk to Dave Ley. Talk to Mark Williams. Talk to all the companies that used to post contingency. Get them involved, get the tracks involved (Numidia stands out, and so do other tracks in D1 alone).

For some of you guys, you're seeing your livelihood at risk. Take a stand, and take the lead. People will listen to you.

From my point of view, NHRA represents California, which has become synonymous with austerity, mismanagement, and corruption.

You will never change NHRA unless they are hit seriously in the pocketbook. One million for a guy who had to step down for a substance abuse problem will look like a drop in the bucket compared to a nationwide boycott of racers. Who knows? You could end up creating a phenomenal series that benefits everyone, and everyone can feel good about, including sponsors and the tracks themselves.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #42
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Sorry, wrong thread.....
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #43
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
You mean more than bringing Tru-Start into S/SS?
Heck yeah! Tru-Start doesn't bother me one bit. Automatic red light for deep staging does!
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #44
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT Mustang View Post
You have at least three serious hitters posting in this thread alone. If one or more starts mobilizing racers to boycott ALL national events this year, then perhaps NHRA will finally take notice.
I've already taken my money elsewhere.

Quote:
For my money, I'd like to see that person create their own nationwide sportsman series that is indeed special for everyone. Look at what Pete Biondo has done with the Springfling, and others have done with Sports Nationals, etc.

Talk to Bader. Talk to Dave Ley. Talk to Mark Williams. Talk to all the companies that used to post contingency. Get them involved, get the tracks involved (Numidia stands out, and so do other tracks in D1 alone).
We had the Class Nationals, for two years, with massive manufacturer support. It could have grown into something more. Too few racers chose to support it. Yes, the Spring Fling, Loose Rocker events, and others have grown and have great support from sponsors. They are bracket races. Huge numbers of racers actually *support* those events. They get purse increases, they get more sponsors, they get more coverage, etc. When not enough racers support something, it goes away. Why would anyone try to create another national sportsman series at this point? It is not financially viable. Class racers have had numerous opportunities, from numerous promoters, in numerous parts of the country, and they have all ultimately failed. As much as people complain about NHRA, most people only want to run NHRA. So, they will continue to get what they have been getting.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard." -H. L. Mencken
Old 12-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #45
Grey Ghost

Liked 210 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Red Anderson wasn't going to let me race the first Div 4 race I went to. Had to go find a salvage yard, to buy a pair of sun visors. True story. Long time ago, mid '60s.
'56 Chevys were still in salvage yards.

First time I raced in Div 4 tech avoided me like the plague. I finally asked what was going on. They told me Red wanted to tech my car. He proceeded to pick the car apart... then told me how much he liked it! Almost set the national record but the event got rained out before I could make a backup run. He sealed me up and said he would honor it at the makeup race but I was unable to back it up a few weeks later. I liked and respected his "my way or the hyway" no nonsense attitude. You knew everyone was in the same boat.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #46
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Got to be friends with Red. One thing we didn't have to worry about was another car being bogus. Same thing with Wesley. We knew everybody else was OK.
First trip to Indy, there was two lines. Red was teching the other line. I had been teched by a guy I didn't know, from another division. (If we went someplace else, we knew we would have no problems if Red was satisfied) I was getting ready to go park. Red & another guy walked up, Red says "Ed, open your hood." I thought "what now?", Red tells the guy "These are the correct carburetors". I thought "whew". LOL I never felt like if I was cheating, I could not really win anyway. Just be screwing people.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #47
Dave Noll

Liked 220 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
We had the Class Nationals, for two years, with massive manufacturer support. It could have grown into something more. Too few racers chose to support it.
I would have loved to go to an event like this. I still watch video's of those on Youtube. But for me that would be a 2700 mile tow. Even though my car isn't to the # yet, I would have taken the hit just to support the event.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #48
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Back to Billy's original question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
... We've all got our own "pet peeves" and they're mostly the ones that the other guy in your Class is getting to use. What are YOUR personal "pet peeves" and "bogus" combos and why should they or shouldn't they be fixed?

And seeing as I'm the one starting this s**t fest, I'll go first.
283s with 327 intake manifolds.
273s with LD4B intakes.
All of the Police Interceptor FFFords.
Early 70s 351 FFFords with Holley carbs.

Yeah, it could be a long, bloody winter.
My favorite. Someone, anyone, name just ONE (1) single drivetrain part that actually came from GM in 1969 that MUST be used on 69 Camaro running a Chevy 396/375 drivetrain (engine, transmission, rear) in NHRA STOCK class for the car to be legal. ANY one item, no matter how big or small that has to be 1969 GM OEM. The same is sure to apply to several other year and BBC displacements (402/427/454). Go ahead, give it a try.

Last edited by Bill Harris; 12-06-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:14 AM   #49
Ken Haase

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

heater controls?
Ken Haase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #50
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,974 Times in 1,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Back to Billy's original question.....

My favorite. Someone, anyone, name just ONE (1) single part that actually came from GM in 1969 that MUST be used on 69 Camaro running a Chevy 396/375 drivetrain (engine, transmission, rear) in NHRA STOCK class for the car to be legal. ANY one item, no matter how big or small that has to be 1969 GM OEM. The same is sure to apply to several other year and BBC displacements (402/427/454). Go ahead, give it a try.
Any current 396/375 Camaro or Nova would make one heckuva fast A/SM car in 1980!

What is "NORMAL"???
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote