Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #41
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Factory experimental

Chuck,
As I remember you were the one doing all the mega-complaining about those cars when they came out! And you're still complaining about them; after all these years.

You can bet we'll be on the 2010 Corvette too. This is not about OEM favorites it's about the OEM's abusing the Stock category - with nhra's help and gratitude of course.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #42
Jim Bailey

Liked 614 Times in 115 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Factory experimental

How's this for a new NHRA/IHRA Stock Eliminator Rule. Beginning at Pomona 2009, ANY PURPOSE BUILT CAR, ( that's what NHRA call's 'em, We call them PAPER CARS.) Will be limited to only (1) one Stock Eliminator Class; AA/S or AA/SA. This will include; ANY CAR with Factory installed lightweight components.ie: Alum. Front End Cars. ALSO, any cars with non - factory reproduction parts; ie; Edelbrock Heads. ALL 1965 Nascar 4 Barrel Hemi Cars. ALL Shelby Mustangs. ANY NEW purpose built factory race cars; including; The New Mustang. The Drag Pac Challenger. And the proposed Camaro.

Would this be fun or what? Let 'em Stand on the gas! It could be the SS/AH of Stock, plus it would de- contaminate current stock elim. from the sand baggers.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #43
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Chuck I remember when the LT1's came out at 275 hp. Pontiac was the official NHRA car and they were capable of running a second under with a cam change , rear gear and headers. The reason NHRA had to make the fuel injected classes is that they wouldn't factor the engines properly. After 66 hp on the LT1's they are no better than a lot of combinations. My biggest concern with the new Ford and Chrysler cars is that they are factory built race cars and always before would be in Super stock, aka. the 68 Cuda's and Darts. If the LT1's were still at 275 hp you would be bitchin too. If these new cars are factored properly they will be out of stock eliminator because they won't fit because of the weight break.

Greg
Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #44
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach

Bruce,
You must be old like me, you need to check your memory, I don't recall complaining about them, I just raced against them ...
Old 01-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #45
Tim Kish

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Now look at it this way. The first year with a new engine/vehicle combo that comes out underfactored will be tough on existing cars in their class - nothing to debate. BUT look at the fact that there are many of these cars being built so there will be a bunch of them running. With several cars being built there are going to be times or people that hang them out there and show what they can do. Someones ego will kick in becuase they wanna win class or another heads up pass - short list of people out there that actually will lift and give up the stripe to save index in Super Stock (we're not Comp racers). Just like the LT1 and LS motor cars - they'll right themselves within a couple seasons.

Look at the new combos as stimulating the racing economy - if its such an easy car to build and be competitive, a bunch will be built (just like the LT1/LS1 cars were) which supports race shops and parts suppliers - the same group of people we're all crying are not paying contingency. Heck if no new combos came around the race shops and parts suppliers would dry up if they weren't selling consumable items.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #46
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

guys. the 93 camaro/Firebird was rated by GM at 275, it gained 10 HP somewhere along the way (with the exception of the SS/Ram Air cars). The LS F bodys were factory rated at 305 for the non ram air cars. The SS and Ram Air cars DO carry extra HP. Those cars were rated at their factory ratings when introduced into stock eliminator
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #47
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Chuck,

We are all getting older, but you must remember that we have been crossing paths for about 13 years now. You were not at all happy about those cars.

But those cars were nothing compared to the little Supercharged monsters that are about to come in and raid the cookie jar - with nhra's help of course. You can't compare these After Market Super Stockers with anything that we have seen before in Stock.

Let's wait' n see!!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #48
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts
Wink Re: Factory experimental

I as talking to some kids racing Subaru's this past weekend, they told me that they switched from C16 to E85 gas and pickup up 30HP. I know that we are on the subject of F/E cars. Well it's a good thing NHRA doesn't allow the Subaru's to race in stock. Is E85 gas allowed in stock? I'm not sure if it's a spec gas. If it is, the supercharged and turbo charged cars will go even faster then what is expected. The 4 door bone stock looking Subaru ran 10.82 @ 135 MPH granny shifting @ 3400 lbs. One of the kids told me that his ran in the low 9's and is street driven.
This tells you the potential of the Cobra's with the supercharger. The Subarus are 4 cylinders and a small turbo.
Casey Miles
248H E/S because of 4HP
Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #49
Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You are now finding out the real reason AA/S and AA/SA classes were added to Stock. And you thought it was just so older Mopar and Vettes would have a place to race. For those who campaigned for the new class.......live with it. For others.......enjoy the new show because its going to get interesting.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #50
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sport View Post
You are now finding out the real reason AA/S and AA/SA classes were added to Stock. And you thought it was just so older Mopar and Vettes would have a place to race. For those who campaigned for the new class.......live with it. For others.......enjoy the new show because its going to get interesting.
and just how were we supposed to forsee this happening