HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #41
Ken Keir

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Aquasco Speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lattimore View Post
Kenny, Did you know Bob Bernardon was a tile mason and had a beautiful tile picture of Dolly on the garage floor he parked her on ? ------ By the way you must be Tom and George Cables age. The first time I saw those two was 66 or 67 at Aquasco walking along with big George holding their hands. One of them had a load in his drawers but can't remember which now. If they read this they're going to kill me :-) --------Danny
Danny, I worked for Bob as a marble setter for four years and also spent many a evening and weekend with Bob and Leroy at Bob's house waxing the underside of Jolly Dolly. Bob helped me alot and was a very good freind.

Ken Keir
Ken Keir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #42
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Aquasco Speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Shannon View Post
Danny or Terry, what year was Sonny Freemans Olds 50 or 52 loved seeing him getting the big head start against the W30's,SD's and cobrajets
Dale
It was a long time ago but I believe it was a '50. When are you getting a new blown Mustang?
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #43
Dan Lattimore

Liked 158 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keir View Post
Danny, I worked for Bob as a marble setter for four years and also spent many a evening and weekend with Bob and Leroy at Bob's house waxing the underside of Jolly Dolly. Bob helped me alot and was a very good freind.

Ken Keir
Kenny----DUH! Listen to me telling you about Bob. Very interesting man and story.-----Danny
Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #44
Dan Lattimore

Quote:
Danny or Terry, what year was Sonny Freemans Olds 50 or 52 loved seeing him getting the big head start against the W30's,SD's and cobrajets
Dale
Dale----Like Terry said I'm pretty sure it was a 50 business coupe he told me he bought from Jack Worrell. One reason I remember . I had one just like it with 57 J2 and 3 speed. Used to give new GTO's a fit. Like all the rest wish I had it back.-----Danny
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #45
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Aquasco Speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lattimore View Post
Dale----Like Terry said I'm pretty sure it was a 50 business coupe he told me he bought from Jack Worrell. One reason I remember . I had one just like it with 57 J2 and 3 speed. Used to give new GTO's a fit. Like all the rest wish I had it back.-----Danny
Your old '50 sounds like one sweet street rod ride today especially with the '57 engine and the J2 set up. A tremic 5 speed would finish it off ! Don't forget the A/C.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #46
Dan Lattimore

Smile Re: Aquasco Speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Your old '50 sounds like one sweet street rod ride today especially with the '57 engine and the J2 set up. A tremic 5 speed would finish it off ! Don't forget the A/C.
Rub it in Terry ! Rub it in ! ---------Danny
Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #47
dragracer9911

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

My first drag race was there in 1965. My dad took me to watch Dave Pyle's with his 289 Comet. When later with Dickie Estevez, but by then St. Mary's Dragway (MIR) was open. Around 1977, I helped Tod and Larry when they tried to open it.
Saddly, what little that was left, burnt last year. Wade may remember, but Baden lost one of their trucks in the fire. The Procopio family still owns the property to this day. Until recenty, the property was stilled zoned as a race track, but they could not get a license to open it due to noise issues.

Tom Sr.
dragracer9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #48
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Here's an old news clipping from Aquasco...anyone have anymore.

Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #49
SuperStocks@LionsDragStrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What year did the track close and what was the reason for it's closing??

SuperStocks@LionsDragStrip
SuperStocks@LionsDragStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #50
Fasttrackshooter

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
That was the first track I ever went too, I think in the early 60's sat at the finish line to watch, loved the 61 ford starliners one was black with Mr. 390 on the door Terry may remember. In the later 60's went there every week with Tommy Cooksey and the Mustangs won a lot I think the payout was like 100$ to win.
Dale
Dale,, what some great memories we have racing there,, running against Tommy in that mustang,, for the F/Stock trophy ,,our camaro ( Little Zipper ) we got our share of win light"s, it was tough against 428 cubes with our 302 ,,both with 4 spd"s,, If i got him on the starting line it was mine,,and there was alot of betting going on in the stand"s,I believe we had more brothers bettin on that chevy ! back then the starting line had a dip in it to keep cars from rolling out of the beams,, there were no reaction times back then so all you had to go by was hear say,,"dam you cut a light on him ",,my older brother Ken came up with this idea ,he cut me a broom stick handle that i used on starting line to hold car from falling into that dip and that was the ticket ! ! we have pictures of tire haze off those 7" M&H 's and the last yellow on the tree lite and not red lighting,,what a jump that gave me ! ! ,,that broom stick really stirred up the competition in elimination"s,,back then you got spotted of of your national record and we were closer to our"s then alot of our competitor"s,the jump that stick gave me on starting line turned into car length"s on the other end. many compeditor"s ran to timing tower disputing the spot,, I remember late one night at 75/80 we ran Harry Huntzberry with his 4 spd hemi cuda,,he was so frustrated that he couldn"t catch me,,,,, he turned his car around and drove back up the track and parked it sideway"s on the starting line and dared anyone to touch his car while he went up to the timing tower to dispute the spot ! ! ! I'm so blessed to have been able to race growing up in those time"s,, Those were the day"s,,,,Gary Ewing * Ewing Bros. Racing *
Fasttrackshooter is offline   Reply With Quote