HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #41
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts
Default Re: Who makes the best timing chain?

As far as vibrations and harmonics effecting chains goes, Pontiac had to come out with a better chain for the 195" 4cyl. which was 1/2 of a 389 due to the vibrations of that engine. The links had a wave type of a flat spring between the links and they would last. They were the chain to use in a Pontiac before the roller chains came out. If anyone on here knows of any GM# 9772801 chains or the version Republic Gear made, please let me know. John Kissel K242
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #42
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
What everyone calls timing chain stretch is actually wear.
Both the gear and pins will wear, based on the loads the timing set experiences from operating RPM levels and the high spring rates used in the valvetrain.

The reason I believe Rollmaster is superior to other makes is due to their use of Nitrided billet gears and their premium sets use a German Iwis chain.
I have used the cloyes hex-a-just set ups for years and so far all I have seen is the IWIS chains and have seen no problems.

Like I sais earlier some times if stock cam bearings are used with a high spring pressures the cam bearing will flatten out causing the chain to be lose.

To the OP which cloyes set up did you have??
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #43
CFMCNC

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kissel View Post
As far as vibrations and harmonics effecting chains goes, Pontiac had to come out with a better chain for the 195" 4cyl. which was 1/2 of a 389 due to the vibrations of that engine. The links had a wave type of a flat spring between the links and they would last. They were the chain to use in a Pontiac before the roller chains came out. If anyone on here knows of any GM# 9772801 chains or the version Republic Gear made, please let me know. John Kissel K242
Have one here in original GM box,Keep it for conversion piece,It actually belongs to Allpontiacs,Frank Gostyla ,it is a Morse product,I will check and see if he wants to sell it.Bill C.
CFMCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #44
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,093 Times in 286 Posts

At one point, Speed Pro came out with a premium quality "link belt" timing set for racing use, it had heat treated steel gears and a premium chain. I know Speed Pro did not make it, not sure if it was a Borg Warner or another brand, Kevin would probably know. It was, however, more expensive than even a Cloyes Tru-Roller, which has been the "gold standard" for decades. Between the reluctance to put a "stock" timing set on a race engine, and the higher price, it did not sell well and they gave up on it quickly.

Yes, Grump ran a stock GM timing set for years, right up until the Jesel came out. It was a little known "hot setup" for a while.