Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #441
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Factory experimental

Do you guys remember Prostock in the 70's with the factoring for the Hemi, the canted valve motor, the inline valve motor. the short wheels base the long wheel base, Etc.
Well that all got started with the Grump griping about the hemi's (not saying the man wasn't a genius at drag racing). And the hemi's coming back at them with wheelbase. etc.
It got to be a mess remember the Tiajuana Taxi? (I personally liked it better back then)
It's not new by any stretch of the imagineation that the factories maniplulate the numbers back before you could change classes or add or subract weight. the weight breaks were usually right on an even number the 1970 challenger r/t convertible fell right on 8.50 at 440 horsepower. Coincidence???? I think not.
On the GM side, Bobby Warren woud get factored and just change body style. What about the Ford pencil cars?
This whole thing is nothing new it's just an updated version.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #442
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

This conversation always seems to deteriorate with personal agenda items with the overal good of the Sportsman racing considered LAST.
Bracket mentality on one side adds its concerns and "Right to race" idea held by racers from the edges of the rule book and Spec sheets.
People ask for the "RIGHT to race" this or that combination and are allowed to do so. People push their issues. Cheap combination to race at a NATIONAL event, A points meet or wherever. Some want to win class over similar cars by being smarter, better driver or .... Then the MONEY card is played.
Can ALL the racers be made happy? A resounding NO is the answer. NHRA looks at ITS GOAL for Sportsman racers and just DO IT. That is what the racers miss is they are doing just that. They own the tracks , hold the events and racers KNOW the rules, Know how it progresses and with computers can just keep stirring up sentiment Pro or Con NHRA.
SRAC was an example. Formed It . Didnt like what it had to say . IGNORED IT. Until a new owner or financially powerful group forms a group with THEIR agenda and SET RULES and FORCE conformity to them dont expect NHRA to listen...seriously.
Now everyone is upset because new blood is coming into Stk or SS. Many 1/2 stories or 3rd hand information. Poor motor choices by the factory, poor tech expected.
What has changed? NOTHING People just have computers..
I hope someone can encourage a change from the top. I know Len tried.
Maybe the Factory input and enticement will help for a while....
Old 01-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #443
MPR

Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts

Len is correct, the American Muscle class concept was proposed to the NHRA as a place to showcase the new Camaro, Mustang and Challenger using current production power plants. This class was however intended for Super Stock not Stock. The push from the big 3 for such a class had died off a bit since GM racing has cancelled its Stock/Super Stock 09 Camaro program and Fred Simmonds has retired.
I still just don’t see why the NHRA would create a special class in Stock for the Mustang when they fit naturally into A/S & AA/S. The 425 HP Modular Ford motor is 330 cu. in. and that’s a far cry from the 427s it may be racing against. It has been classified by the NHRA and they also see no reason to add a special class because they are Stock. These are not paper or pencil cars as you can plainly see in George Wrights earlier post. Until this combination show a clear cut superiority at the races (not hear say or rumors) I think the case is closed.
I race a GT/EA Grand Am with an injected motor. There are still guys complaining about having to race against injection. The US car manufactures have been using injection exclusively for more than 2 decades. Might just make more sense to separate the 40 year old cars from the new cars by the racers that don’t think they can compete with the new. Nostalgia? What made Stock so cool in the 60s were new Stockers of all brands racing against each other. I don’t remember ever seeing any 40 year old stocker in the 60s at any National Events.
I wonder why anyone would edit their thread. Last night after I got home from Varsity Fords Cobra Jet delivery gathering I read a post indicting Ford has given these Cobra Jets to selected racers for free. I posted :

Why did the post I was responding to get edited? Just a couple of post earlier the FREE word was being used and now it’s gone! This thread has lost all its credibility and I think I’ll just read it for the pure entertainment value as it is pretty much a joke and filled with untruths. If you are 100% sure the new Mustang is going to kick your butt then keep posting BS like you have. I guess whenever the Challenger shows up the same guys will be at it again. I wonder if a thread to get rid of the whiners would be cool, on second thought it would most likely get edited as well.
Well I’m done trying to post the facts; I’ll just read and have fun doing it. It was great to see Len Imbrogno is still reading this stuff, Len, give me a call sometime and we can get caught up! In the mean time you can keep in mind one of the signs of getting old is the reluctance to accept the new. Do you still listen to 60s music? I do but it’s oldies just like the cars you think your fighting for. Time to face it, it’s 2009!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #444
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Amen to that, good post Mike.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #445
Jim Foley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Factory experimental

463 posts with people upset over a car that has NEVER competed at an NHRA event. Be interesting to see how far this one goes after Pomona.

Jim Foley
STK1220
Old 01-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #446
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Good Post MPR.... It is time for fresh topic and outlook.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #447
bsa633
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Rayburn View Post
Bruce/Alan,
These cars will have to have at least a 10.5" tire and that means their own class.
Sorry..but i think they will allow those to everyone instead of a new class... Talk to you later Chuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
OBTW, all of the hype about Garlits racing a Challenger in Stock? It ain't happening unless they hurry up and get the Challenger in the guide. No guide, no race.
Ford has allready got(bought) the exposure..I dont see Chrysler running thier legs of to go out against these Fords with thier current combos...

Last edited by bsa633; 01-25-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #448
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,805 Times in 1,828 Posts

I watched 3 of the 4 Hajek cars run yesterday. When they get these cars hooked up, they will be trouble. They haven't yet.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #449
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

MPR,
This case is anything but closed. We fully understand evolution and we fully understand how the nhra process for classification is supposed to work.

There are a lot of people who are concerned about these cars. nhra can create a class in the wink of an eye. No problem for them - why are you so against such a minor change? There was some very minor house cleaning of several posts that were way off topic or contained taunting language. The post you referenced may have been one of those.

The Cobra Jets tested on Friday, in a closed session, at the same track and we were told that one immediately went under the national record. No one has recanted their comments. They may have traction problems but they have already demonstrated their performance. Give them the opportunity to perform on a good track with a National event prep and both nhra and Ford will have some explaining to do.

Last edited by Bruce Noland; 01-25-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #450
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,805 Times in 1,828 Posts

Bruce, Where are you getting your information?
John Calvert was in Ca on Friday .Gary Stinnett was driving in from Kansas.
It was cloudy and rainy here on Friday.
Those cars weren't within 2-3 tenths of the record on Saturday