Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #31
rallye bob

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Roll Cages vs. Roll Bars in higher class cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
This sentence: Under window net, it says "mandatory on any full bodied car required by the rules to have a roll cage". answers the question.
And, yes I did asked about it. Why have a cage and don't want to use the net? Just prefer to not screw with it. If I want to put the car in a class where a cage is required, I have it, and the net, multi/layer fire suit, neck collar, and gloves.
Ed;
Don't nets have a cert, expiration date? If so then the net that you have in case you "want to put the car in a class where a cage is required" may be out of cert. at that time..... ;-]
rallye bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #32
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallye bob View Post
Ed;
Don't nets have a cert, expiration date? If so then the net that you have in case you "want to put the car in a class where a cage is required" may be out of cert. at that time..... ;-]
Only mesh type nets have to be replaced every two years.
The more common ribbon type does not need to be replaced .
The rule book states window nets are required on all cars REQUIRED to have a cage.
This may vary by Division or track,but in so far in D1 cars that have a cage ,but are NOT REQUIRED to have one, have been alowed to run without using a net.
I have several customers that have told me this is the case.

Also rocker sill bars are still not required on non SFI spec roll cages [8.50 and slower et] on cars with stock floor pans and dont have more than 6sq ft of removable floor for trans removal.
I,d still recomend one ,but the rocker and the dash bar are not required if the floor and rocker is not modified.

The only way to build a cage is to WELD 360 DEGREES and use gussetts.

Chrome Moly will rust just as much as mild steel ,once the mill finish is sanded off for painting ,if left exposed.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #33
Sam Lusco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I put a full cage in when I built the stocker just for my safety even though it was not required. . I would not have it any other way with the speeds of the new Stockers. It is also nice to have if you ever want to run Superstock.
Sam Lusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #34
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
Once you install a cage you have to follow cage rules. That means nets are required. NHRA looks at it that once your at that level of having a cage, even if it runs 15's, you have to conform to all of those safety rules.
Same as seatbelts. You can have a 15 second car with OEM belts and leave them there forever. But once you put aftermarket belts in, you have to recert or replace every two years.
Maybe the seatbelt rule is interpreted differently from division to division, but I have a P/SA that has an aftermarket belt dated 1994 in the car. The person I bought the car from went through NHRA Div 1 tech many times with these belts and so did the previous owner from about 1999 until 2007/8 or so.

I passed tech in IHRA Div 9 with the same belt in 2010, plan on taking it through tech again with that belt in 2012. I will inquire within the sanctioning bodies just to be crystal clear though before next season starts.

I would think a quality aftermarket belt and latch is about 20 times stronger and safer than a 44 year old factory original belt.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #35
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Your logic is sound but the rule book is quite clear. The book does not differentiate between classes, aftermarket belts must be re-certified every two years.