HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #31
junior barns

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Talking Re: Drag Pak/Cobra Jet FX classes

Charley Downing

LOL! I so enjoy reading your posts trying to defend what is happening in our class!!

The thing is, I don't know if you are serious or just jerking everyones chain because you know how upset we all are!!!

But keep it up and keep the flames glowing!!!
junior barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #32
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Drag Pak/Cobra Jet FX classes

Also Blossom got bumped to a natural BF/S car from what I understand? So the system worked there. I know there are cars that can run BF/S that will out run his car. His still might be under factored, but all of those fwd turbo cars are underfactored. At least they are all in the same boat.
Jimi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #33
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

I know these new car are way out of line. But here are the facts

Plus side
Fans Love these new cars
Fans love cars they can relate to
Who would build a new car if was not rated soft? (look at the new Camaro do you see any out here)
Our class is getting more fans
New members in stock and superstock
Some kinds of factory/dealership support again
Win on Sunday sell in Monday (This still works)
S/SS Chassis shops staying in business
S/SS Engine builder staying in business

Negative side
New soft combos
NHRA not stepping in and correcting HP (this is the big problem)

I Agree Dumpy Pendarvise or whatever his name is run of 9.79 in C/SA is a joke. NHRA should add 35 hp to those type combos that make runs like that. But don’t blame Fords or Dodge they did what any company would have done. Racers have been finding soft combos for years it is all just part of the game. No combo is on top forever. This will change it’s just going to take time. Hell it took 15 years for the LT1 to go from 275hp to 346hp. These combs are here to stay so quit or change with the times.
I'am upset just like everyone else. I have a LT1 car that if I put 25,000 into today I still could not run within .50 of the DP's And CJ's in B/SA and C/SA

Last edited by Charley Downing; 09-09-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #34
MikeFicacci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. Stock and Superstock doesn't have very many fans. You can't count the 45 relatives that happened to be sitting there.
2. New fans aren't paying to get into the gate to watch Stock and Superstock. They check out Dragracecentral. Just because a few stayed in their seats after the pro's were done at Indy doesn't mean anything.
3. 95% of the new cars that have been built are built by present Stock/Superstock racers and a few Comp guys.
4. "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" - That must explain why the Camaro has sold more units over the last three months than both the Mustang and Challenger and is in a dead heat with the Mustang for 2009.
5. If anything, stock/super stock engine builders are being hurt. Their clients that usually come back every year for a tune-up are going to their closest chassis dyno with a laptop in their hands with their new cars.
6. NMCA is the king at "cars people can relate to". Go ask the owners over there how their tickets sales are going.

Last edited by MikeFicacci; 09-09-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: revision
MikeFicacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #35
hemicop

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

While these new factory racecars are great performers & the (few) spectators can relate to them at some level, the fact is, their technologyis so far beyond what most Stock & S/S guys have in their stable, it probably is time to resurrect the old F/X class. It's just a question of what's fair --- to expect a guy to run his 5,6, or more year old combination against a car who has a whole multi-billion dollar corporation backing them.
And don't tell me "they" don't! A friend's chassis shop completed work on a CobraJet car & NOTHING was similiar to "stock", PLUS he was told in no uncertain terms, what could & couldn't be done to the motor! So what you have is a corporate race car, managed, designed & built by professionals, that are running in an "ameteur" or "sportsman" class. Yes, I know some of these hobbyists are as good or better than many pros, but for the guythat's trying or hoping to get into this, he's lost before he's even stepped foot in the pits!
I don't mind this level of professionalism--Hell, I think in alot of ways it's a good thing. Just own up to what it is, why they're doing it, and let the dust settle where it may.
Stepping back & looking at it this way, I think most anyone can see it's time for F/X to come back!
hemicop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #36
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

Dgal
Just so you know LT1 cars where in G/SA H/SA I/SA for the first three years killing other combs like the 255/350. No different then the New CJs and DP's
Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #37
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
I know these new car are way out of line. But here are the facts

Plus side
Fans Love these new cars
Fans love cars they can relate to
Who would build a new car if was not rated soft? (look at the new Camaro do you see any out here)
Our class is getting more fans
New members in stock and superstock
Some kinds of factory/dealership support again
Win on Sunday sell in Monday (This still works)
S/SS Chassis shops staying in business
S/SS Engine builder staying in business
Charley please tell us how any of these pluses would not still exist if the cars were in there own FX class within the stock class.

Last edited by novassdude; 09-09-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Oppsed
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #38
Clayton Wright

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

Everyone seems to forget somewhere back in the day in order to run stock the factory had to produce 500 units show room available to the public. Less than that was super stock. At that time super stock was king. Maybe we should go back to what works. Just my 2c.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #39
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
Dgal
Just so you know LT1 cars where in G/SA H/SA I/SA for the first three years killing other combs like the 255/350. No different then the New CJs and DP's
BIG difference. the LT cars carried a factory rating the same as the showroom car, which anyone could go buy, there were way more than 500. Were they factored soft, yes, but no one KNEW the potential of those motors ahead of time either. The DP/CJ motors were designed to be race motors, and ford/chrysler LIED, BOLD FACE LIED, about the HP ratings. maybe the LT1's should have started at 300 like the vette motor, but in all fairness it was factored at what the showroom available motor was SAE rated at (and there is no way GM gave two craps about stock eliminator enough to lie about it on purpose). The closest relative to a CJ motor is rated at 540 SAE hp, 425 for the DP (with much less compression, cam, heads, intake and throttle body.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #40
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
BIG difference. the LT cars carried a factory rating the same as the showroom car, which anyone could go buy, there were way more than 500. Were they factored soft, yes, but no one KNEW the potential of those motors ahead of time either. The DP/CJ motors were designed to be race motors, and ford/chrysler LIED, BOLD FACE LIED, about the HP ratings. maybe the LT1's should have started at 300 like the vette motor, but in all fairness it was factored at what the showroom available motor was SAE rated at (and there is no way GM gave two craps about stock eliminator enough to lie about it on purpose). The closest relative to a CJ motor is rated at 540 SAE hp, 425 for the DP (with much less compression, cam, heads, intake and throttle body.
Just for informations sake!
If I recall correctly, Mopar Performance told me they had to wait "(FOR THE NHRA)" to supply a HP rating from the three complete engines "SUBMITTED TO THE NHRA" prior to the release of the Drag Pak cars.

Cheers

Peter Ash

Last edited by Peter Ash; 09-10-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Peter Ash is offline   Reply With Quote