HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #31
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 209 Posts
Cool Re: My Teardown @ St Louis.....

I remember a 283 racer of immense merit from Div.6 years ago talking about how he went through about a hundred stamped Chevy rocker arms to get the 16 that he liked.It never hurts to have an assortment of push rods of every length from .200"long through .200" short in .050" increments. It's unbelievable how much that can affect lift.Lifter plunger and pushrod cup depth can vary by .100" or more,depending on the brand of lifter,as well.A tall lifter combined with a long pushrod could affect the overall height of that part of the valve train by as much as .500" from the extreme of a deep cupped lifter and a short push rod. Try those extremes and see what happens to lift. You might even run past the design limits of the rocker arm slot to further add to the madness,mayhem,and misery,not to mention the issues in teardown.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #32
SS Engine Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: My Teardown @ St Louis.....

Also it is good that the total length of the push rod and lifter to be checked are taken into consideration as Travis noted. If not, there is no assurance that the "checking" lifter seat profile and the push rod end profile from the engine fit together at the same height. The checking lifter seat I use is machined to form a conical "V"shape with a large enough radius that the pushrod cannot be deflected up through out its range of motion.

Another variable is the flatness or how parallel the retainer is around its diameter. For example: Spin the retainer around and check lift at several places and you will get different readings on some depending on the accuracy of the machining. In extreme examples, where the spring winding ends will slightly cant the retainer in that spot.

As others have stated, minus .010 lift won't affect much, however, +001 will ruin your day. So plan on cutting it as close to possible to the edge but keep it within the limits regardless of the circumstances.
SS Engine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #33
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Re: My Teardown @ St Louis.....

There was some really good info talked about in this thread. I'm also currious as to how temprature will affect readings during tech. Do they allow the engine to cool completely before teardown. Also, what about during fuel check, is there a certain temp. they use? Doesn't temp. affect specific gravity?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #34
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,114 Times in 294 Posts

Wade, hold your head up high, you're a great guy and a great racer. Some of the best professional engine builders in the game have been bitten by the exact same thing, you have nothing to be ashamed of. You and your family should be very proud of what you have managed to accomplish.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #35
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 726 Times in 177 Posts

Wade -

The way you have handled this situation moves you to a position of respect in my eyes. Using a venue for communications like this forum to come forward with the facts, readily admit mistakes and errors and ask for forgiveness is exemplary for the entire Stock/SS community. It is such integrity that has built value into this form of racing that is rarely found anywhere. Believe me, there are very few if any racers who have been involved for a period of time and who have gone fast enough to get torn down multiple times who have not been caught by honest mistakes. The complexity of the machinery and the rules we race by makes the challenge formidable and the successes inspiring. We learn from every situation and build on that experience for excellence.

I have not met you, but will be honored when we do. I have followed your performance and been impressed that you can make a 283 run as fast as you do. Periodically a racer will exhibit a performance level that will grab my attention, but this situation has added respect for character to my opinion of you.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #36
TinSoldier 3215

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Dwight, You are right that 283 run's great and Wade haves that POWER from BES Racing Engines!!!
TinSoldier 3215 is offline   Reply With Quote