HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-03-2023, 12:38 PM   #31

Liked 948 Times in 250 Posts
Default Re: "phone a friend"or Tech

I have a question, After reading Charlie's post, It appears that one of the concerns was that a tech official came over to question the legality of a car without an official protest. And even though the car was in fact illegal, or should I say, had a hood scoop out of spec, the complaint was that they should never come over without a protest put up.

So the question I have, is it not allowed to approach a tech official about a concern about a competitors car without putting up a protest fee? If that is the case I never knew that.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:12 PM   #32
Don Eckel 111

Liked 69 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Yannetti View Post
Well Don, when the Tech official was asked if a legitimate protest was lodged, and the appropriate fees put up, we were told "NO, NOT YET".. it was then a word of mouth complaint, and actually held no validity, in my opinion, at that point.. and yes, we were then allowed to make a quick adjustment, probably because the protest was not valid at that point, and we were placed back on the ladder, instead of at the bottom of the sheet, or DQ'd, as requested by the whiners..

I believe that an apology was necessary for the inconvenience to a team that was a mainstay in Comp Eliminator for better than 30 years, whether the hood scoop height was correct or not.. that simple jesture may have kept that team around for a while longer.. like I said, that's when who you are, and who you know kicks in.. we were apparently not a part of the right clique at that venue..

While I will not argue whether the car was actually legal, or not, a 1/2 inch height discrepancy on a hood scoop could easily have been someone misreading a ruler.. maybe the crew guy from another team who actually compelled the whiners to complain.. maybe even the Tech guy.. and I don't even believe that those particular whiners even had the funds to lodge a legitimate protest, without help.. maybe the Tech guy knew that they were trying to raise the funds, and told us to fix it while he waited.. in the end, the Tech guy may have actually helped everyone (RIP RC).. we took care of the problem, and the whiners saved their money.. and then the whiners went red in the 1st rnd.. maybe KARMA??

The bigger fact in this matter, is probably the part about people not wanting the owner, or the driver, of said team to win another championship, and that race happened to be important toward that goal.. just like the guy in the original post didn't want another racer to win his race.. but that's a whole different cliquish kinda story..

My original point is that there are rules pertaining to protests, and those rules, more often than not, are not even followed by the governing body (NHRA).. how can you accept a protest via text or phone call??.. and reportedly, the person was not even at the venue at the time.. how are the protest fees then collected.. and in the case I referred to, how do you send your wife to complain with NO MONEY in her pocketbook, and on an *** Clown's say so??.. I will say that that wife had more balls than all the men involved in that particular scenario though..
You say no validity in your opinion but obviously, NHRA felt differently to take the time to check AND make you change it. So did anyone ever go back and ask if the money was put up following the "no, not yet" comment? I don't see this as being any different than an NHRA spot check and honestly, if you have nothing to hide or it's an honest mistake, what's the difference? I find it funny that you call those who protested whiners, when in fact, their issue with the car turned out to be 100% true. If someone on the offending team misread a ruler, well that's on them to go back and make up that day from 1st grade. In fact, it's pretty impressive that whoever protested could determine visually that there was an issue without actually measuring it. Or maybe it was more than a 1/2" as you claim, and obvious?

That said, why would someone apologize for being right? Because your team had to correct something that was wrong? And last time I checked, longevity in the class isn't a waiver from making sure your car is legal. By that logic, maybe financial standing should be a waiver for those who can't afford to put up the money for a protest. Maybe I get to throw an extra 1" of overhang on the nose for my 30 years? On top of that, perhaps you WERE afforded a "30 years in the class" favor by being allowed to continue by NHRA, did anyone think of that? There sure have been S/SS guys bounced for far less. I don't necessarily agree with someone not at the race calling in a protest, but your protester was.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:03 PM   #33
Denny Steward

Liked 113 Times in 21 Posts

This has been an interesting read, I just can't see how a racer can call a tech man over the phone, and cause this much stink. I would hate to think this is going to be the normal from now on. The rule book is very clear on how protests are to be handled, also who was the tech man that took the call and did not follow the procedure set by NHRA.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:45 PM   #34
Race Clean

Liked 129 Times in 51 Posts

So...back to the issue
The Fire wall....
Old 04-06-2023, 05:50 PM   #35
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,196 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Clean View Post
So...back to the issue
The Fire wall....
Ya know, "the issue" here has stopped being "the firewall" and started being "the phone call"! Which (IMHO) has become the more important issue here.

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:38 PM   #36
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,702 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Clean View Post
So...back to the issue
The Fire wall....
The fire wall was found to be legal. Gary continued on with racing.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:23 PM   #37
pmrphil

Liked 318 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
The fire wall was found to be legal. Gary continued on with racing.
That seems to be the sticking point - it was found to be "legal", but the rule book prohibits the modification, whether or not it makes it perform differently really doesn't matter - what matters is that NHRA is NOT following their OWN rules - first in allowing a phone call, then in allowing what the rule book describes as "an illegal modification" to be judged to be "legal". How can that be?
pmrphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #38
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,702 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
That seems to be the sticking point - it was found to be "legal", but the rule book prohibits the modification, whether or not it makes it perform differently really doesn't matter - what matters is that NHRA is NOT following their OWN rules - first in allowing a phone call, then in allowing what the rule book describes as "an illegal modification" to be judged to be "legal". How can that be?
I believe it was Lonnie Grimm that made the final decision that the firewall in question was not modified in a manner that was against the rules for the class. In Super Stock you are allowed to remove certain items that are attached to the firewall. heater box, wiper motor etc. These holes have to be plugged or covered with material matching the original firewall and sealed. there are usually other holes that have to be treated the same way. possibly a fuse box that was removed. Holes drilled for wires or tubing to pass through. So some modification is allowed. Per the rule book you are not allowed to completely cover the original fire wall or move it. It has to be the original firewall in the stock location.

Protest rules are listed in the rule book and should be followed to the letter every time.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #39
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,681 Times in 396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
WTF
Modified firewall illegal
He didn’t move it back or forward Gary made it beautiful
I pride myself in my car under the car outside inside and under the hood
What kind of firewall is in your super Comp car. ?
Stay in your lane And don’t throw stones at people whose cars could win most car shows And Go Fast.
This was about Gary’s performance. The firewall is just an excuse to get Gary thrown out
Old 04-07-2023, 01:28 PM   #40
tstickff

Liked 469 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
WTF
Modified firewall illegal
He didn’t move it back or forward Gary made it beautiful
I pride myself in my car under the car outside inside and under the hood
What kind of firewall is in your super Comp car. ?
Stay in your lane And don’t throw stones at people whose cars could win most car shows And Go Fast.
This was about Gary’s performance. The firewall is just an excuse to get Gary thrown out
Removing things like heater boxes, or whatever stock equipment might be on the firewall, are not always able to be fixed with just a flat sheet of sheet metal, nor does that look good! If the firewall is not moved from stock location, who gives a **** if it’s “pretty”? We spend a ton of money on these cars just to make them look good, who cares if the firewall is completely smooth with Bondo? I have a bunch of ****ty looking stock holes on my firewall I would love to cover up and have painted nicely, zero performance advantage!! Like James said, this was about someone crying about his combo and NHRA let it happen.

Tim Stickles