Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #31
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 478 Times in 155 Posts
Default Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro joe jackson View Post
real simple, remove the timers, before 1991 super classes where enjoyable to watch with the throttle stops coming on when the cars went into high gear, it was side by side racing with a killer sg car going 145 and sc cars was lucky to see 160.

Politics like always came into play and nhra wouldnt do anything about the timers cause sponsors where in the mix, now there is nobody with timers sponsoring so the time is now.
x2
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #32
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My opinion.
Why are you asking "Classy Racers" their thoughts. You might as well go to the .90 forum and ask how much H.P. shout the CJ and DP get.
"Classy Racers don't know crap about how hard it is to put that .90 on the scoreboard on a consistent basis.

Now that being said.
I would'nt mind doing away with the timers but leave the indexes alone.

Chip
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #33
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

DW,
I bracket raced with those restricter plates for several years trying to run multiple classes in brackets. There is a secret to making them work and I will never tell.
LOL
Chip
Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #34
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 68 Times in 29 Posts

I decided to introduce this in general forum to have everyone give their opinion, Modified was sacrifice to introduce these new innovative class to stimulate fresh new blood,(NHRA wanted a better participation from their Bracket racer and this was the way to move up) I know NHRA loves all the money these class bring to their coffers but I did enjoy this class once and I know many Stock, Super Stock are also closet S/G, S.C,S/ST fans, many of their friends have gone Super Class racing. Lately I've notice an abrupt departure of young new racers for 10.5 and 5.0 and easy street (etc). Two years ago I was at the Virginia Race in the fall and saw a racer driving a Supercharged Dragster in Super Comp running over 215mph in S/C he was fun to watch nearly stopped on the track for 5 second before blitzing the rest of the 1/4 mile in 3 second. Was the track traction suppose to take this? It was entertaining to watch a couple of times but I could see everyone asking the same question, why! Like I've said opinions are just like(you fill in the blank) everybody has one. CR
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #35
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cicero,
I agree about some of the innovations in the .90 classes. Last week at Martin there was a Roush mustang propane powered in the 10.90 class. In fact I think it got best engineered
Chip
Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #36
JJ3159

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'll confess i put my 2cents in to see the reaction, sorry to the slower class cars truth be told i watch them all, i agree with chip putting .90 's on the board aren't as easy as it looks ,and i agree speeds in these classes are ot of hand ,id say set speed limits for each class.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #37
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts

I'm not going to knock any .90 classes. I have some good friends that run them. When I sit in the stands to watch them fans(the few that there are) always ask why does the car quit and then go again. They don't understand what is happening. Bob Frey is the only announcer I've ever heard who explains all of sportsman racing clearly enough for people to understand. Just like us you start changing all the rules(lowering indexes etc) more $$$$$$$$ to play.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #38
chebby2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

Nitro Joe, Maybe if your parents removed their timers ,the rest will follow.
chebby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #39
Rick Bailey

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Talking Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

Hey Chebby..........I have given thought to going back to a high gear stop deal, like 150-155 mph maybe. The bad thing would be is the fast guys would be shoving it into reverse just to be able to back into me..............lol lol
Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #40
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
All class are complicated just no more throttle stops or timers of any type. Just release your trans brake and go. One of the reasons for those class was to intice fresh blood into our sport not alienate spectators. I love to watch the different cars in those class but unfortunately get tired of watching cars after cars die a few feet off the starting line to explode three second after. These racer are as dedicated to their class as anyone else and I'm sure that they could come up with something to help the diehard racer interested. I don't care about the general population of spectator who just love John Force's circus act, I'm talking about you and I the people who show up to see the qualifying in the sportsman ranks and leave when the circus starts and goes into the pits to check out the great quality show of engineering machines that the individuals have built.

I agree.

Throttle stops, timers, the old stutter boxes we used to run all take away from the driver. The driver and his driving the car ought to decide the winner not a bunch of electronics.....flipping switches and pressing buttons should win a race.......trans-brake and run it out the back door.

JimR