Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #31
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Pro tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Stubbs View Post
It doesnt matter what someone wanted to change or try on here, you would still disagree with it. Top Stock was very exciting to watch because it was a pro tree. Its "heads up" racing and there is nothing wrong with running in on a pro tree. The Pros have been doing it for years. Ed, you might even like it in that little AMC of yours.
Kevin,just read back a few years on here and think of all the mommas boy crying,high-
lighted by the phrase "we need to level the playing field".You can't get a majority on any
situation with a group of 3 people.
I bracket raced from 1977 till 1993 and there were tries at doing different things with the
pro tree (we ran some index classes) and thery all pooped out.I started putting tpe on my window to block the second bulb around 1981 which in effct was a form of seeing a pro light and it served me well.Then of course some guys started using enough tape on their windows to wrap an egyptian mummy family.It got to the point where it was a miricle that
no one was hit by cars driving to the lanes.NHRA finally said no more tape.
You give some guys an inch and they'll take a mile.
So you see when I make posts counter to the new rule of the week I draw on the yearts of experience I've had seeing the worse come out in some people under the guise of
winning at any cost.
You say the Pros have been doing it for years.Well look back to the "stone age" and the pros not only ran full trees but the ran a 5 bulb full tree.
BTW T/S and T/D run full tree and look at their mastery of the full tree.
Just some musings from an old fart who's getting weary of all the cries for change and
so called leveling the playing field.
The real change we need is more dilligent monitoring of HP factors,enforcement of EXISTING rules and an increase of the payouts for our participation.

Stepping down off the soap box.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA

Last edited by Ed Fernandez; 08-26-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #32
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't get how some of you guys can say that a pro tree "dumbs down" the sport. When the top sportsman racers in the country use blinders to "dumb down" the full tree. Should I make a list? I believe there would be quit a few recent world champs that use blinders, starting with Biondo, Iacono, Decker, Richardson and even Jeggy as we all seen on tv and the list goes on.

Ed,
I apologize what you guys have been doing is working don't worry. Hopefully there will be enough seats at Indy on Thursday for all the spectators to have a seat to watch Stock.

BTW Ed,
I don't think any of us are looking at it as leveling the playing field. 'Cuz I'll cut the tree down on ya either way.

Best light with a full tree is a .000 and my best light with a pro tree is .002. Don't need to level any playing field.

Last edited by 69Cobra; 08-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #33
K Stubbs

Liked 20 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Kevin,just read back a few years on here and think of all the mommas boy crying,high-
lighted by the phrase "we need to level the playing field".You can't get a majority on any
I bracket raced from 1977 till 1993 and there were tries at doing different things with the
pro tree (we ran some index classes) and thery all pooped out.I started putting tpe on my window to block the second bulb around 1981 which in effct was a form of seeing a pro light and it served me well.Then of course some guys started using enough tape on their windows to wrap an egyptian mummy family.It got to the point where it was a miricle that
So you see when I make posts counter to the new rule of the week I draw on the yearts of experience I've had seeing the worse come out in some people under the guise of
winning at any cost.
You say the Pros have been doing it for years.Well look back to the "stone age" and the pros not only ran full trees but the ran a 5 bulb full tree.
Just some musings from an old fart who's getting weary of all the cries for change and
The real change we need is more dilligent monitoring of HP factors,enforcement of EXISTING rules and an increase of the payouts for our participation.

I agree, there are other things that are more important, but I do not think trying a pro tree for class runoffs would be to harmful to the sport. Thats just my opinion. Change is not always bad, there have been many changes to the sport that have benefited it as well as the racers. Just because "it has always been done this way", doesnt necessarily mean that it is the best way. That is kind of like saying that we have to do everything the way it has always been done. I, personally, think it would be cool to have a couple of races a year run off of the pro tree just for fun. Again, just my opinion. And I do value your opinion ED.
K Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #34
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Pro tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
winning at any cost.

T/S and T/D "MASTERY" of the full tree is due to the worst invention ever.....The DELAY BOX !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #35
MikeFicacci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pro-tree is a good idea for class eliminations but not so much for heads-up runs during eliminations.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #36
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXJOE View Post
I would think in this day and age, you should be able to tell the tower what kind of tree that you would like on your side ((5 tenths Pro or Full for S/SS.
They won't even add functionality to AutoStart to handle deep staging.

Quote:
I don't get how some of you guys can say that a pro tree "dumbs down" the sport. When to top sportsman racers in the country use blinders to "dumb down" the full tree. Should I make a list? I believe there would be quit a few recent world champs that use blinders, starting with Biondo, Iacono, Decker, Richardson and even Jeggy as we all seen on tv and the list goes on.
You have just made the point! People use blinders because it's easier.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #37
Dan Lattimore

Liked 158 Times in 38 Posts

Heads up stick cars would get your blood pumping back when IHRA was pro tree and there were no high side chips.

Last edited by Dan Lattimore; 08-26-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Dan Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #38
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 809 Times in 217 Posts

I am in favor of a pro tree because The advantage for the tree we have now is no doubt to a person who races the most . This is verified by simply seeing who is winning all the time , practice practice practice is what makes a person win , but I am in favor of a pro tee cause 95 % of the racers don't have the time , money or desire to go to as many races as they should or want to . the pro tree would even up the starting line advantage that the 5% of the people who race every weekend have no doubt
Old 08-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #39
Dirk Olson

Liked 141 Times in 36 Posts

Let me see.....Stick Car...Pro Tree......Heads up ......First one to finish line, WINS...PERFECT I'm in.

Dirk Olson
5036 B/S
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #40
TOSTO RACING

Liked 480 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFicacci View Post
Pro-tree is a good idea for class eliminations but not so much for heads-up runs during eliminations.
This is exactly what I was asking about