HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
Adam Strang

Liked 85 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Stocker pistons...

Scott Burton has a`70 car that`s a Ram Air IV car nobody I know right now is racing a `69 Ram Air IV car.

Todd and I have the Ram Air II stuff in `68 cars.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #32
MLP

Liked 23 Times in 7 Posts

Had a neighbor with a '69 bird with a 400 3 speed stick. I love the look of those cars and wouldn't mind owning one now Was it common for Pontiac to use three speeds in their manual transmissions? My buddies '71 GTO also had a three speed stick.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #33
MacNicol Racing

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent flynn View Post
I have 4-5 sets of the 16's and 62's, that are legal for my combo...and 3 intake manifolds...
Really??? I think I just made a new best friend. I agree with Todd and Adam on the TRW's. We ran them with stock rods no less until this year. The car would run .3-.4 under in "E". We spent the majority of the time working on the transmission, convertor and suspension then redid the short block.

Last edited by MacNicol Racing; 03-27-2013 at 02:24 PM.
MacNicol Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #34
FSA1673

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Might try Ross pistons. They are usually less expensive than the CP piston, usually $675 a set through Butler. For this type of application they will want the ring set prior to making the piston or they did when I had a set made a few years back. They are NHRA approved as well. They are more expensive than the TRW however.

Scott
FSA1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #35
Adam Strang

Been 10.60`s in E/S with 20 year old TRW`s.I heard the quality of the new stuff isn`t as good as the older stuff.Made in Mexico now.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #36
Dan Lattimore

Liked 158 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
I agree with Adam , Brent. The TRW's will not be that bad. It's more important to be out and learning the car then waiting another year for 1000 + CP's. The right rings and shortblock setup is very important and will make a big difference in power.

I've been a 126 with my car. Adam has made the fastest runs with a Stickshift and a Ram 2 combo. I saw him go 10.47 127.00. His car flies and is show quality. I'll be out this year, just happy to be racing. I'm not sure anybody can run with Byrd or Duzac in D. But it will be fun to try. I'm sure Jeff Lee Will be fast as well.
Todd, What hp are those Pontiac combinations now ?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #37
Adam Strang

RA II is now at 340 hp.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #38
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ross is all I use in my Pontiac motors. However I pay a lot more than $675 I buy them with their low friction Teflon impregnated hard anodizing that adds about $200 I get mine through SD Performance. I highly recommend the coating as it’s even in the ring lands so the lands never wear. As for the quality I didn’t know they are being made in Mexico now but by the measurement data they provide with the pistons I see no issues. For rings talk to Keith at Total Seal for about $400 he will set you up with a great low drag set with gas ported spacers. As for Rods cheap aftermarket like Eagle work just fine. These Pontiac stocker motors don’t spin that high that you would need something like a Manley. As for this compared to TRW pistons with stock rods, there is a big weight advantage with the approved aftermarket rods and pistons you can get down close to NHRA speck weight. If I recall correctly the last 400 I did with factory rods and TRW pistons was about 120 grams over minimum, that’s quite a bit in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #39
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Strang View Post
Been 10.60`s in E/S with 20 year old TRW`s.I heard the quality of the new stuff isn`t as good as the older stuff.Made in Mexico now.
I have 2 sets of the older ones, one set, New in the box... the other ones are in an engine... these arent the coated ones... But i still want to go with a little better piston... Like Todd and Adam are saying, there is no reason that i cant get the thing runnin, and figure it out... My main goal is to see .5 under the index... I know dang good and well, i dont have the funds to worry about winning class... but i think i have the money to build a consistent car... thats the main thing, at this point...
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #40
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edgeworth View Post
Ross is all I use in my Pontiac motors. However I pay a lot more than $675 I buy them with their low friction Teflon impregnated hard anodizing that adds about $200 I get mine through SD Performance. I highly recommend the coating as it’s even in the ring lands so the lands never wear. As for the quality I didn’t know they are being made in Mexico now but by the measurement data they provide with the pistons I see no issues. For rings talk to Keith at Total Seal for about $400 he will set you up with a great low drag set with gas ported spacers. As for Rods cheap aftermarket like Eagle work just fine. These Pontiac stocker motors don’t spin that high that you would need something like a Manley. As for this compared to TRW pistons with stock rods, there is a big weight advantage with the approved aftermarket rods and pistons you can get down close to NHRA speck weight. If I recall correctly the last 400 I did with factory rods and TRW pistons was about 120 grams over minimum, that’s quite a bit in my opinion.
Thanks for the info, Bill!