HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #31
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Clutchless transmission permitted in S/S

Try using "same place same day" comparison like class winners/qualifiers at Indy or Gainesville. Most of the heavy hitters are at those races and conditions are the same for everyone.

Most of the SS racers here are missing the real gains with the clutchless gearbox. If you don't have a computer and a clutch you can slide like a torque converter, you'll never see the true potential. The ones who get it right can easily see a tenth.
Pvt Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #32
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

exactly!!!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #33
Mike Dahl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is at least 5 times as many auto cars versus sticks. Why? Do you think it is because autos are more fun to drive? Do you think it is because auto guys do not like to work on their cars? I don't think so.

Remember, this is super stock and we are talking about guys and gals who live and breathe this stuff. Typically, they are highly intelligent, get up early, stay late, defer their retirements, upset their spouses, and sacrifice Christmases sometimes to become King of the Hill. That said, if there was a gain to be had by having a stick, they would have it. But they don't. I have one because it is fun. Period.

Due respect, comparing comp cars and pro stockers to super stock is a bit of a stretch. As well, the ratio of autos versus sticks is lobsided in comp too.

Forgive me, because I almost forgot one little thing. Is it not true that Comp and Pro Stock are allowed 5 speed transmissions? Wanna bet what happens if they limit them to 4?

Conversely, I would modify my opinion greatly if we were allowed a 5 speed.

Last edited by Mike Dahl; 02-12-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Mike Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
Mike Dahl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Randy,

Remind me again what class you run. Were you the one with the super clean Cobalt with the hood scoop on You Tube? If it is, I would like to have one that looked that nice.
Mike Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #35
randy wilson

yes. that silver cobalt that says [already gone]. is it thank you. guys, i have been beat by lots of autos and i have the utmost respect for them. we run ss/cs and bogner and manns are quicker than us but not because they have autos and weight breaks, it is because they have more HP and better setups right now. i would love to use that as my excuse, but we have actually tried a 2 speed and slowed down .35. every car we build is stick because we would be lost with auto. not pretty, just my 2 cents worth. also, the reason most people run auto is because it is basically a glorified bracket race.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #36
randy wilson

mike dahl you have a pm.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #37
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think most racers share a number of common interests, including but not limited to a love of the automobile and the mechanics and technology associated with it as well as the competitive nature to compete and win at doing something they enjoy. Learning and evolving are all part of the experience, using your talents, knowledge and expertice to turn on the win light at the end of the day.

Many of todays Pro Stock veterans started in Stock and Superstock. I, like many racers have always owned and driven a stick shift car because that was my first love. I started with a SS/L Camaro, a SS/K Chev II, a SS/A Corvette, a SS/AM Olds Calais that I later moved to A/SM in Comp and Oldsmobile Cutlass tube cars in B/A, C/A and G/A.

All of those cars were very competitive usually qualifying very near the front row and occasionally #1 and #2. All the time I was in Superstock people kept telling me that I should be racing and automatic to be more consistent, "You gotta have an automatic if you want to win." I refused to listen. I just kept on working on making the car go faster and evolving as a better driver because I knew that my real goal was to take my knowledge and expertise over to comp where the rules were basically weight to cubic inch - first man to the finish line wins..... with a stick shift car.

My first National event win was in Superstock at the Southern Nationals with one of my best friends, Larry Pritchett and I in the final. Two stick shift cars. I think he was in SS/GTE or F and I was in SS/B.

My next National win was in Comp Eliminator at Topeka where another best friend, David Nickens and I were in the final..... two stick shift cars. He was in E/A and I was in B/A. That was also the first National win for one of my most respected Superstock gurus... Jimmy Bridges. He was in SS/E stick. Oh yeah, there's another guy on here who might want to toss in his opinion on Stock-Superstock, evolution and stick shift cars.... his name is Dwight Southerland

This new clutchless rule opens the door for any Super Stock stick shift competitor learn, evolve and become a better racer and a more knowledgeable individual. Nothing in life or in this game stands still. You can either move forward or be left behind. That's just the way it is.

If I were in the same position as many of you, I'd seriously consider moving to a SS Modified class with a newer car where you can now run a clutchless 5 speed. You'll have a lot more options and will have a vehicle that will easily adapt to a number of SS or Comp classes and you can evolve at your own pace.
Pvt Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #38
Larry Ericksmoen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm curious, was anybody using the clutch to make a gear change anyway? (in stock and superstock)
Larry Ericksmoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #39
Eddie Rezac

Liked 61 Times in 6 Posts
Smile Re: Clutchless transmission permitted in S/S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt Parts View Post
I think most racers share a number of common interests, including but not limited to a love of the automobile and the mechanics and technology associated with it as well as the competitive nature to compete and win at doing something they enjoy. Learning and evolving are all part of the experience, using your talents, knowledge and expertice to turn on the win light at the end of the day.

Many of todays Pro Stock veterans started in Stock and Superstock. I, like many racers have always owned and driven a stick shift car because that was my first love. I started with a SS/L Camaro, a SS/K Chev II, a SS/A Corvette, a SS/AM Olds Calais that I later moved to A/SM in Comp and Oldsmobile Cutlass tube cars in B/A, C/A and G/A.

All of those cars were very competitive usually qualifying very near the front row and occasionally #1 and #2. All the time I was in Superstock people kept telling me that I should be racing and automatic to be more consistent, "You gotta have an automatic if you want to win." I refused to listen. I just kept on working on making the car go faster and evolving as a better driver because I knew that my real goal was to take my knowledge and expertise over to comp where the rules were basically weight to cubic inch - first man to the finish line wins..... with a stick shift car.

My first National event win was in Superstock at the Southern Nationals with one of my best friends, Larry Pritchett and I in the final. Two stick shift cars. I think he was in SS/GTE or F and I was in SS/B.

My next National win was in Comp Eliminator at Topeka where another best friend, David Nickens and I were in the final..... two stick shift cars. He was in E/A and I was in B/A. That was also the first National win for one of my most respected Superstock gurus... Jimmy Bridges. He was in SS/E stick. Oh yeah, there's another guy on here who might want to toss in his opinion on Stock-Superstock, evolution and stick shift cars.... his name is Dwight Southerland

This new clutchless rule opens the door for any Super Stock stick shift competitor learn, evolve and become a better racer and a more knowledgeable individual. Nothing in life or in this game stands still. You can either move forward or be left behind. That's just the way it is.

If I were in the same position as many of you, I'd seriously consider moving to a SS Modified class with a newer car where you can now run a clutchless 5 speed. You'll have a lot more options and will have a vehicle that will easily adapt to a number of SS or Comp classes and you can evolve at your own pace.
This could not have been said any better.
Eddie Rezac
Eddie Rezac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #40
randy wilson

yea, we were using the clutch every run we ever made in ss, ihra or nhra. we were a little behind the times and could not for the life of us figure how to pull a clutch assist out with 600 hp against you without harming the drivetrain. of course we were running setups from the early fiftys we have been told.