Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #31
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 393 Times in 86 Posts
Default Re: Congrats To Billy Pires!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
No Dave I can't afford it!!! My son bought the tickets........I bought the beer and the transportation. Beer has reached an all time high price in the Bronx. I could get very silly for at least 2 nights at the track for what 2 beers cost at the stadium.....but it was worth it. Like the saying goes......"you can't put a price on a good time". I went to Yankee stadium for the first time......about 50 years ago.....Yoggi got the game winning hit in the 10th if I remember right.....I have also been to the "little league" park in Boston they call it Fenway, I think.....hahah.....I am looking forward to a Yankee-Boston Playoff series hopefully. I have a firend who might be able to come up with playoff tickets....cool....
You must have been on those "Staten Island Steroids" if you think "Fenway" is a "little league park" LOL!
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #32
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Ballantine beer or maybe Schaefer in cans.
And remember Mel Allen and Red Barber saying "Foul by the length of a White Owl cigar!" I loved listening to Red Barber-he was the best!
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #33
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 513 Times in 201 Posts

Any ball park that has a wall a kid could reach is like a little league park. Players hit line drives off it!!! I have never been to Staten Island ( much) Mel Allen was great......"Hey folks, what a day for a ball game" and I also loved Red Barber......In 1961 the homerun derby between Mantle and Maris was on the front page of every newspaper in the candy store where I hung out.....Newark papers, New York papers........Mickey was way more popular than Maris. Maris was a little odd and Mickey was the total opposite and as outgoing as can be and he had the best swing you'd ever want to see. Reggie came along years later and that also was one great swing. Ok Boston had some great ones.....I liked Carl Yastrzemski and Ted williams was one of the best ever but before my time.........
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #34
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Any ball park that has a wall a kid could reach is like a little league park. Players hit line drives off it!!!
I don't want to hear criticism of the Monster when you guys had that 296 foot right field line with a fence that a two year old could jump over! Sure the old Stadium had Death Valley out in Center-remember being able to walk out to the monuments after the game was over!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #35
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Alright guys I won't make fun of Fenway anymore and Dave you are right about the 296' fence in the Bronx. Left Center was way out there in the old days. A guy hit one last sunday into the black seats in right center and that was a long way. The Mick hit them further than anyone and he hit the facade. The YES network plays some older games and next wek they are going to show the game Reggie hit 3 home runs off 3 different pitchers in a row. I remember watching that one too ay home. Reggie used to do comentary at the SummerNat's. I saw him come thru the gate in a Rolls one year. I wondered who would come to a drag race in a blue Rolls Royce,,,,,,License plate said REGGIE and I saw him park it and head for the tower. We have thoroughly hijacked this thread...but I love baseball, can you tell?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #36
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
We have thoroughly hijacked this thread...but I love baseball, can you tell?
Yes we have and yes i do too! Drag racing and baseball, two very tough sports-you've got to be able to deal with failure in each one if you are going to be the least bit successful!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #37
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Looks like the "Little League Park" will be a popular place!
Go Sox
Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #38
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

All I need is a Yankees-Boston Series in about a week and a half.....Green Monster-Smonster....A-Rod will poke a hole in it and Jaba will whiff Big Poppie and Mannie and whoever ......hahah
Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #39
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
All I need is a Yankees-Boston Series in about a week and a half.....Green Monster-Smonster....A-Rod will poke a hole in it and Jaba will whiff Big Poppie and Mannie and whoever ......hahah
for this to happen, the Red Sox have first got to get by the Angels and the Yankees have got to get by the Indians-Neither one of these is guaranteed!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #40
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david ring View Post
for this to happen, the Red Sox have first got to get by the Angels and the Yankees have got to get by the Indians-Neither one of these is guaranteed!
Beckett did his job tonight!
SHUT-OUT La
Go Sox

BTW Happy Belated 60th Birthday Prof Dave

Last edited by Greg Barsamian; 10-03-2007 at 10:54 PM.