HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #321
Bart Kilraine

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Factory experimental

Terry ,see ya at the Creek april 17-18-19th......Kenny,...your head was not pretty.Saw it at Jim's.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #322
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

I thought the big 3 (GM, Ford, Mopar) had no money??
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #323
rtaylor3410

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Rather than trying to keep these new late model cars out of stock, perhaps we should be talking about creating a new class for our 30 to 40 year old cars called Nostalgia Stock.

I've been reading posts on here for the last couple of years with people wanting class racing to be what it was back in the 60's, more factory involvement, higher payouts, more fan appeal etc... I think these new cars work in our benefit over the long haul.
Let's face it, there's no benefit to GM if a 69 Camaro outruns a 68 Mustang or Barracuda like there was back then. But if this new 09 Mustang blows the doors off an 09 Challenger or one of the new Camaro's, then there might be some value to the manufacturers and some additional fan appeal etc..

I happen to love these old cars that we race, but unless you grew up around this sport, alot of people don't recognize these cars anymore.

And NO, I do not race a AA car.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #324
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Cool Re: Factory experimental

If these Mustangs and any future Mopar/GM hi horse power cars come along there is a place for them already,SUPER STOCK,along with 68 Hemi cars,SS AMXs,T'Bolts etc.Where is the problem with that?
I guess the guys who will have the $$ for these cars will have to live with the fact that they will not be the
fastest combos in the eliminator.
I dont think we need any new classes in Stock.
Ed F.
Lowly T/SA
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA

Last edited by Ed Fernandez; 01-22-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: After thought
Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #325
Bart Kilraine

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

If they run any kind of big numbers they are going to get hit with horse power,therefore they end up in Super Stock.There is no higher class in stock !
Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #326
Ken Haase

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

(pant,pant) Holy Cow! I can't read fast enough to keep up with this thread! Ya' better get ready Alex, the 400th post will be here soon.

Now, I'm no Ford guy, but the anticipation of 'seeing' these Mustangs run is making me salivate. I just hope that we will get to see the true potential, rather than what they'll do clicked at 1000'. I'm sure Ford will make public the incrementals. Not! Ford's involvement in drag racing is good for the sport, and stock eliminator in particular. Same for Mopar. I just wish Ford wouldn't give another nickel to that buffoon with the giant ego. You know, the guy NHRA can't seem to get enough of on ESPN.

Having said that, I'm afraid Bruce's concerns are not unfounded. One poster didn't think that 2.42 Hp/cu.in was attainable with this new CJ. I recall reading of F1 engines producing 6 Hp/ inch, or more. If Ford did their homework and the blower is efficient, I don't see why they couldn't extract two or more Hp/cu.in. Of course, none of this matters much except in heads-up runs. Are they running 'class' at Pomona?

As mentioned previously, I'm not a Ford guy. But I could be. If Red LeBlanc would turn over the keys to his '69, I'll bleed blue.

One last thing. IMHO, Ford won the all-time 'coolest car name' title back in '68 with the debut of the original Cobra Jet. Second place goes to 'Ramcharger'.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #327
MPR

Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts

Taylor, I agree completely. The NHRA has no intentions of eliminating the 40 year old stuff but it is called Stock Eliminator and all the new car brands should and will be represented.
The NHRA does have a horse power factoring system which has been implemented many times in the past. If and when the Cobra Jet runs quick enough, the adjustment will be made but it needs to happen first.
It’s hard to believe there are NHRA racers that would like to factor another fellow participant before they ever make a single run. Bruce, are you saying the NHRA hasn’t classified the Cobra Jet in a fair and honest manner. I’m not sure where your info came from but I trust the NHRA has as much info as the rest of us. I’m sure they will do the right thing as soon as the CJ earns its punishment.
Ed, why should new high horse power cars run only in super stock? If the factory is building them for stock and they are, what’s wrong with that? After 40 years I would hope the auto industry can give us stuff that can out run the antiques. Yes, no new classes in stock! It would be great to see an F/X class in Super Stock for new Mustang, Camaro and Challenger to race against each other. Maybe someday when the industry rebounds this might happen.
For now I think Fords efforts are great for the entire sport and the NHRA. Hopefully the Hemi Challenger will begin to appear at the races and again give some people something to complain about. Face it, in order for Stock to be just that, Stock, new body and engine styles need to be competing at the races. History needs to be afforded the opportunity to repeat itself like in the 60’s and 70’s. New cars not 40 year old cars made Stock Eliminator what it is. I know we are all getting older but ask your self, how many 1920’s cars were in the parking lot when you went to high school?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #328
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

The ahfs is a joke. It would take years to catch up to the CJs. Citing the ahfs as an excuse to allow in a grossly under factored car isn't going to work. I don't think anybody knows what nhra is going to do from one minute to the next. Ask Hoosier and MT. The problem isn't that nhra will run the older cars off. The cars they are trying to put into Stock will do that for them. After market cars and grossly under rated cars don't belong in regular Stock classes.

Last edited by Bruce Noland; 01-22-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #329
goinbroke2

Liked 210 Times in 82 Posts

I heard one just made a 8.50 170mph pass!!

Well everybody else is throwing bull**** numbers and causing controversy just for the sake of keeping the panic alive I thought I'd add to it.

If you look at the posts, there are certainly more saying "let them run and then sort them out" than there are screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling". And what happens when after 3 passes the u-joints blow because they're too small or some other type crap? What if they can't get them hooked up? We can "what if" all day both ways. "What if, they run really good" or "what if they run really bad". How about "let them run and lets see" like was posted about a thousand posts ago! We WILL find out shortly!

Has anybody else heard of these 800hp numbers, first hand? I'm just curious because I did some searching and can't find that number anywhere.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #330
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach
Smile Re: Factory experimental

I admire the guys that worked hard on the LT1's and the LS1's, they did there homework, put in the time, money and effort to run fast, I appaud you guys, I am not picking on you guys, just using your combo as an example. Correct me if I am wrong, but when the LT1 came out (listed as different weight breaks depending on what model you claimed) it could run H/SA, which is a 12.45 index. When the LS1's came out they could run G/SA which is a 12.30 index. Both of those cars can now run AA, A, B, (LT1 - C or D). These cars can now run anywhere from 9.70's to 10.20's. So here is one combo that moved up as much as 8 classes and another one that moved up as much as 7 classes. I believe the LT1 took 10 yrs. to get to where it is rated today and the LS1 around 6 or 7 yrs. to get to where it is rated today ... TALK ABOUT BEING UNDERRATED give me a break .. Although they were put in their own classes the amount of time to get to their current HP rating still took a long time. Those cars had lots of potential when they first came out and the people that built them knew it. They were fuel injected and fairly new to the class of stock. It is no different with the Cobra's today. They are new to the class, have lots of potential and will get to the correct rating sooner or later. They can protect their combo or they can kill it. I am sure that someone could buy one of these new Cobra's, turn up the wick and kill the combo right away. No one has control over that. Bruce, I have heard the numbers on your combo, I think it is underrated ...
Closed Thread