Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-11-2023, 04:58 PM   #21
Stan Weiss

Liked 556 Times in 293 Posts
Default Re: Warning on contingency wraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
Ah! sounds like a great idea. I could put the LODRS sticker on the same way then remove them as needed. Any chance of them coming off around 130mph?

I don't know. I am sure that there is different quality which will have some effect and also where on the car they are will also have some effect. Some years ago I knew someone who used these on the quarter panel behind his rear tires and had no problems when racing the car.

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:02 PM   #22
PozQB14

Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie tyson View Post
it has become more and more apparent that the GREAT NHRA could care less about the SPORTSMAN RACER, worst pits at National Events, lucky to get 2 time runs ,increased entry fees, dropping purses if you win a National Event etc, and now the BS about wraps for contingency payouts, when half the time you dont get paid anyway unless you furnish a receipt of purchase within a 2 year period, tearing off manufacture sticker off face shields on new helmets SAYING IT IS A BLINDER!!!Stupidity at the highest and some dimwit some called Tech man did at Orlando, but never once did they say lets check a few guys to see if they are legal. Just how much worse can this STUPIDITY get?
Do you actually believe the sh** you write? VMP had awful pits, potholes all over the place the week before a national event. The following week the pits were all smooth. If tracks can't afford to have perfect pits for you then take it up with the track, not NHRA. 2 times runs is all you need, there are tons of weather stations and if you keep data logs you can figure out pretty closely what your car will run. Increased entry fees might contribute to increased insurance costs, just a thought. Tell me one person whose been asked to remove a sticker from their helmet. Lastly, have you seen the skeleton crews at these divisionals? You think they have the time to check out every single car for every single item? What's stupid is knowing something is a rule and not following it, then getting upset when you eventually get caught. And thats not specifically directed towards cars with contingency wraps. Sounds like you should stay home since you hate NHRA so much.
PozQB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 09:53 PM   #23
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,600 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
-

Technically ,no

The side windows are supposed to be reserved for number ,class, and dial -in.
Station wagons can get away with that, being that they have an extra set of side windows.
I know that some have been pushing this issue but I suspect a crack down in coming.
Sorry . I misread the quote...I thought you were talking decals in general.
Probably get away with the NHRA one.

Related... I had a bunch of decals on Pro-Mag ,which is one of the brands of magnetic backing.
Larry Kopp needed a few for his 150 mph comp car, in a hurry. He gave them back and told me thanks..They stayed on just fine.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:06 PM   #24
James Hill

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
Ah! sounds like a great idea. I could put the LODRS sticker on the same way then remove them as needed. Any chance of them coming off around 130mph?

Have someone install PPF on your car where you want to put the decals and you don't have to worry.
James Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 05:07 PM   #25
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,972 Times in 650 Posts

I guess you could say I'm just a whiner or whatever but I would think there's some more important **** out there that needs to be teched or looked at that's way more important than busting someone's balls over a sticker being a few centimeters too small. I have a wrap also and I have not checked every one of them but the ones I did were identical to my my wrap but hopefully I'll get the chance this year for them to check it out.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:31 PM   #26
BigBlockBill

Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
I just saw on the nosey network (Facebook) that Jeff Longhany was denied contingency claims after his Orlando win because his stickers on his wrap were not legal size. C'mon man!
Rules is rules and are printed in plain English to be followed or ignored at your own peril.
BigBlockBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 05:37 PM   #27
herbjr
VIP Member

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockBill View Post
Rules is rules and are printed in plain English to be followed or ignored at your own peril.
So a car that was in 3 finals last year winning a divisional and a national, and 9 finals total paid no problem, had 5 decals that weren't part of the wrap and they wouldn't pay on it either why is all at once a problem?
herbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-14-2023, 07:04 PM   #28
tstickff

Liked 468 Times in 112 Posts

Honestly I thought the wrap was a good idea, maybe all these BS decals don’t all fit on everyone’s car perfectly, with the wrap it can be tailored to the size of your car, organized nicely, and custom fit. Some of these decals are big, ugly, and god forbid you try to peel some of these off with a decent paint job! Some of us take pride in how these cars look and are particular on how decals look, some don’t care about this stuff but I think most do.

Tim Stickles
Old 02-15-2023, 07:30 AM   #29
Robin Lawrence
Sponsor

Liked 638 Times in 109 Posts

My thoughts, as I once was responsible for the contingency program where I worked. As a racer I appreciate the recognition and support that the manufacturers provide with contingency programs.
As a business these programs are not actually cost effective these days. Like certain types of advertising there are much better ways to spend marketing $$$ with better results.
I pushed for payouts on our newest offerings. Hopefully motivating racers to upgrade or step up to later designs. Carburetors are a good example.

On the subject of this thread, A contingency program is an agreement that is made between the sanctioning body and the company wishing to post. There are specific requirements that are spelled out in the agreement. Some will ask for proof of purchase. Some specify no stacking of stickers on multiple postings from the same company. Nearly all require you to use a specific size decal for the item posted.

Several years ago I had a racer contact me because NHRA rejected their claim because the decal was on a wrap and it was "re sized" It was a about half the size of the decal that was specified in the contingency agreement.

The car owner was upset because NHRA had rejected the claim and our contingency administrator had followed protocol and not paid the claim.

I ended up getting a call from the owner of the team. I congratulated him for the win, I thanked him for using our product. I then asked if he would like us to pay him half the payout since that was the amount that they had reduced the decal. As a business man he understood the position I was in. The re sizing of all the contingency decals really made the car look great! It made the main sponsor logo on the doors standout as it wasn't crowded with little stickers. At the end of the day the sponsor is paying for that specific sticker and logo.
The gentleman I had talked with agreed to install our full size required sticker and we paid then claim. I had another team do the same a few years later and the process was repeated. Our people were happy and the racers understood.
It wasn't the wrap that was the problem, it was the re sized decal.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:56 AM   #30
Craig Porter

Liked 83 Times in 24 Posts

I appreciate the companies that post and pay us ! If I had a company that post I would want the decal to be the proper size for my product . We need to follow the rules before the program is gone .
Craig Porter is offline   Reply With Quote