Old 11-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #21
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,600 Times in 1,740 Posts
Default Re: This Is For Mark Yacavone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrys Toy View Post
Good morning Mark,
That 283 engine combo , was that the 283 / 220 Horse power 4GC engine? Seems to me that was a GOOD engine in both Stock and Super Stock at the time. They were plentiful as well. They also could use the 520 casting cylinder head? If you can get a cup of coffee and think about the past for a bit, could you possibly fill in a few more blanks? Its the end of the season and I've got a little time now. Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
GM, Henry
Yes , all the 66 stuff was 520 head, big 283 4 GC's ..Even the early stuff was 520 headed. Only one that wasn't is the 283 ,2bbl. SS/X car.
The 61 Vette was either 1 or two WCFBs , and the 59 was a superceded 62 fuelie unit.
Ask away,...while I can still remember this stuff.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #22
prostockpete1

Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts

mark .. i also remember the rage for a while was finding 520 heads with the optional 'T" on the end of the 520 casting that was used in truck applications with supposedly better flow ... in the late 70.s i went looking for some 'T' 520 castings to try on my record holding 283 ss/ma chevelle but ran outa hours of my life to ever find any
prostockpete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #23
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpete1 View Post
mark .. i also remember the rage for a while was finding 520 heads with the optional 'T" on the end of the 520 casting that was used in truck applications with supposedly better flow ... in the late 70.s i went looking for some 'T' 520 castings to try on my record holding 283 ss/ma chevelle but ran outa hours of my life to ever find any
They are still all over as far as I know. I didn't have any problems finding any when I built the last 283 5 years ago
Old 11-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #24
prostockpete1

Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts

mark ... do you have any data on what power the ' T' heads gave over non 'T' heads back in the days you could not touch ports ?
prostockpete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #25
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpete1 View Post
mark ... do you have any data on what power the ' T' heads gave over non 'T' heads back in the days you could not touch ports ?
No, I don't. Flow benches and dynos were a bit rarer than they are today.I don't think I used T heads in the 70's .I just used whatever came on the engine cores.
I remember hearing that Jerry McClanahan had a 520 on one side ,and an 896 on the other, and he was the R/SA record holder.
Today when building a 283, you throw away most of it... You might use the block in a low budget operation..Maybe the crank for a core.. Don't need anything else..Truck heads, 327 intake , any venturi clusters in the carb, etc. ;-)
Old 11-17-2021, 11:49 PM   #26
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrys Toy View Post
Good morning Mark,
That 283 engine combo , was that the 283 / 220 Horse power 4GC engine? Seems to me that was a GOOD engine in both Stock and Super Stock at the time. They were plentiful as well. They also could use the 520 casting cylinder head? If you can get a cup of coffee and think about the past for a bit, could you possibly fill in a few more blanks? Its the end of the season and I've got a little time now. Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
That combo still is good today. I ran the 283/220 with the 4GC in my 66 Chevy II in SS/K it was a hell of a lot of fun! It had the 520’s on it too. Most guys now use the dart aftermarket head in super stock.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote