Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-02-2021, 10:00 PM   #21
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,498 Times in 1,710 Posts
Default Re: Easy way to help AHFS work

Quote:
Mark, I thought I was pretty clear on how to "FIX" the AHFS. Bring back performance to the STK and SS Classes. More class runoffs(we use to have class for either STK or SS at every National Event, some had both (Indy, Gators and Vegas) plus we also had 3 Sports Nationals! Bring Back the Performers Award. Perhaps points for top 5 or top 10 qualifiers, points for class winners? More review periods, not less. I like Charlie's idea for qualifying 64 cars at National Events;
Thanks for clarifying ..You're on the record..Thank you
Old 11-03-2021, 07:26 AM   #22
Herbie Null

Liked 286 Times in 55 Posts

Quote Kevin Gaffney: PS: Mark there are two other options...work on your stuff or change your stuff!!! IMHO

Kevin you knocked it out of the park. I have a EFI combo that seems to be the target of the special agenda. One thing I can tell you is there are several combos that I cannot out qualify, but for some reason they go unnoticed. D1 modified car is one example, bad *** car that runs like a pro stocker. Gove is an example of how fast a modified car should run, he works his *** off. Thank goodness for him that the special interest are not in his classes or he would be on the radar. I agree with your comment (work on your stuff or change your stuff!!!) seems people would rather spend big money on motor homes than their race car and that's their choice. The new normal is you no longer have to bring yourself up, when its easier to bring the others down to you.

Last edited by Herbie Null; 11-03-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Herbie Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:14 PM   #23
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Null View Post
Quote Kevin Gaffney: PS: Mark there are two other options...work on your stuff or change your stuff!!! IMHO

Kevin you knocked it out of the park. I have a EFI combo that seems to be the target of the special agenda. One thing I can tell you is there are several combos that I cannot out qualify, but for some reason they go unnoticed. D1 modified car is one example, bad *** car that runs like a pro stocker. Gove is an example of how fast a modified car should run, he works his *** off. Thank goodness for him that the special interest are not in his classes or he would be on the radar. I agree with your comment (work on your stuff or change your stuff!!!) seems people would rather spend big money on motor homes than their race car and that's their choice. The new normal is you no longer have to bring yourself up, when its easier to bring the others down to you.
Very well said.........you took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #24
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,534 Times in 1,977 Posts

Don't forget the AHFS is a doubled edge sword. If you work within the rules it can be rewarding.

When we first got the truck out in the mid nineties the AHFS was non existence. How performance penalty's were handed out, in my opinion, were unfair and arbitrary. Case in point, Topeka Q1 we go fast 1.00 plus under index with at least a 15 MPH tail wind. We get tore down checked and pass, we get informed we will get HP Monday. I ask the question, If I was setting a record would I be awarded the record with a 15 MPH tailwind? The answer was NO, too much tailwind for a record to be established. I could not get a record under those weather conditions but I was getting HP. Fair, I think not.
Larry Hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #25
Stephen Belanger

Liked 17 Times in 2 Posts
Smile Re: Easy way to help AHFS work

This is a Performance Base Class work on your **** the fast will always be fast because they put the work in to make it fast and to keep it fast. The combo's that have been protected are still good because all those poeple worked together for the most part to keep them that way. I'm all for points for qualifying and more heads up and this is coming from the dad that let his kid get his teeth kicked in a heads up semi final round but it is what it is
Just my 2 cents Stephen Belanger
Stephen Belanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #26
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,126 Times in 779 Posts

"Protecting" a combo indicates to me it's under factored. Case in point, 350/255. Sorry James. Just my 2 cents.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #27
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
"Protecting" a combo indicates to me it's under factored. Case in point, 350/255. Sorry James. Just my 2 cents.
No way that combo is under factored. Hmmn let me think a certain 1969 Dart with the 383 is way under factored. But more power to him. He worked on it and protects it. Nothing stopping anyone from buying or building one.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #28
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,627 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Really? You pick the wrong combo. 350/255 at 280 HP. Under factored? ��
First of all the car BANGING my combo is a 1970-to 1972 move claiming as a1969 nova
Is that fair? Do I get to change the front bumper?
How about the 1982 to 1985 camaro. At 263hp
Combo takes a 122 under hit
Monday gets hp. By Thursday gets a new front bumper and loses EARNINED HP
So there the problem with AHFS. It’s not applied when earned
FACTS. So please think first when throwing stones
Old 11-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #29
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,840 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote:
Yeah Frank, I think you're a little bit off on this one. The 350/255 has been getting beat up since it was new.
Let us not forget all of the old wedge combos that got loads of HP reductions during the old Gracia days. There's still a few of them that are real soft.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #30
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,126 Times in 779 Posts

James,
I love your passion but I'm not throwing stones if I'm wrong I stand corrected. But part of my example and I should have clarified this is that the only original part required on the 350/255 is the intake manifold, am I wrong? And I believe because of that some racers are protecting that combo.

Billy,
As far as the Max Wedge example, Dan Dvorak (RIP) was pretty tight with some unnamed NHRA Tech guy(s) in Glendora.

Last edited by Frank Castros; 11-04-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote