Old 04-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #21
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,840 Times in 1,535 Posts
Default Re: 13's, 14's vs. 9's , 10's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Okay..Story time, boys and girls

Let's start with the Jr. Stock era. 13 to 16 second cars were quite popular then. Car Craft and other mags did many articles on them . The average working guy ,who couldn't afford a new muscle car, could get together with his buddies and build a lower class car in his driveway.
Some of these guys did quite well at the national events too. Names like Boertman, Hedworth, Barkley, Ripes, Neja, and Dilcher come to mind.

Starting in 1972 , NHRA threw a monkey wrench into the works. Jr Stockers were pushed into Super Stock. New indexes were created, which were to become new national records.
Still , if your lower class car got a decent break, you could do alright in eliminations.
At the 72 Summernationals, the last three remaining SS cars were Larry Nelson, winner (SS/T), Anthony Cieri , runner up (SS/Q) , and yours truly, (SS/PA) Not a traditional, fast SS car in sight.

Next, we come to the flat out era of 1975-76. With no breakout in effect, we saw lots of "index beaters" of the slower persuasion

Sometime later on, NHRA started handing out a bunch of free tech goodies. The indexes were not lowered, correspondingly . Eventually, the whole field could run under and just dial it in. I'll call this the "ET racing" era.
A few guys with 10 second cars began to do quite well, in leave second, come from behind mode. It became an unwritten rule that you had to be a chaser in this style of racing. More and more 9 and 10 second cars appeared on the scene.

It is my opinion that , if a guy can afford to go to 7-8 divisionals, that many nationals, and chase points, he can probably afford a fast car too. Why not? It's more fun, plus we know now, you can't win anything with those slow things..Right, Billy?

Sounds pretty good to me Yac. The "free tech goodies" definitely helped out the faster, less "restricted" combos a bunch more than it did the "lower class" combos.

I think that another "issue" that helped do away with many of the "lower class" and stick combos is/was NHRA's decision to do away with the rule automatically allowing Class Winners in at Indy. That ruling definitely hurt diversity in Stock and SS.

I am glad to see the effect of NHRA's 302 FFFord boo-boo in getting a(FFF)ordable combos built and raced. The 305s and 318s have been getting built and raced also after some HP help. It sure would be nice to see someone in the Tech Dept. "Champion" an effort to fix some obsolete and extinct combos. It couldn't hurt NHRA to make some more combos affordable.

Now as far as being able to afford to go to Divisionals and Natls., that could be a bit more of a problem. But, you can always bracket race a Stocker! Ya can't class race a bracket car.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #22
Billy Nees
VIP Member

So Yac, do you think that in the 21st century a 13 or 14 (or 15 or 16 or 17) second Stocker can be competitive against a 9 or 10 (or 8) second car?
Tell us how you "really" feel!

Reality, what a concept!
Liked
Old 05-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #23
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,493 Times in 1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
So Yac, do you think that in the 21st century a 13 or 14 (or 15 or 16 or 17) second Stocker can be competitive against a 9 or 10 (or 8) second car?
Tell us how you "really" feel!
Yes..."but" It always comes down to consistency ...of the driver and the car.

I will say that ,with a faster car, you're more likely to pick up a win light, here and there, with the 1st red light business, or when the slow car is inconsistent or tries to hold a few and then judge the finish line.
On the other hand , with a slow car, if you don't have the light going for you, you're down there , floundering around , trying to tighten up the finish line..Very, very hard to do against the big mph 8, 9, 10 second cars .
I think the big picture here is this observation from a former World Champ.
"I look at it this way. It's a percentage game..Leave on time and run close to your dial in, and you'll win more than you lose"
That holds true, no matter what end of the spectrum you're on.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #24
Neal Derochie

Liked 34 Times in 8 Posts

Mark Y, I see at the bottom of your last post you chose to make a political statement about Tara Reade, does that also mean you believe the dozen of women who accused Trump.

This is a racing site and needs to stay that way.

Ken, you need to decide if this stuff stays off of here or open the door for everyone's views.
Neal Derochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #25
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,493 Times in 1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Derochie View Post
Mark Y, I see at the bottom of your last post you chose to make a political statement about Tara Reade, does that also mean you believe the dozen of women who accused Trump.

Ken, you need to decide if this stuff stays off of here or open the door for everyone's views.
Fact is, that signature has been up for about a week. Yours is the first comment about it, either way. Might be something different next week.
Other than that, if you'd like to know exactly why it's there, you can always PM me.
NO more comment from me about it ,on this thread.
Meanwhile, would you like to discuss the subject matter?
Old 05-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #26
Neal Derochie

Liked 34 Times in 8 Posts

Mark, doesn't matter how long it's been up, you knew it was political when you posted it, you also know there is a political section and that's where it belongs,.
Neal Derochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #27
HP HUNTER

Liked 261 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Mark, doesn't matter how long it's been up, you knew it was political when you posted it, you also know there is a political section and that's where it belongs,.

I believe Tara Reade as well.................
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-01-2020, 11:06 PM   #28
Dave Gantz

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:

I only see that the rules for "The Lounge" sub-forum state "no politics". Maybe I missed a different politics sub-forum? I see posts that imply that politics should go there (The Lounge). I'm good with no politics anywhere on ClassRacer. Just my opinion, of course.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #29
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Mark Y,... does that also mean you believe the dozen of women who accused Trump.
... Jim B`s "Gold Digger".
Mike A114

Last edited by Mike Jones; 05-02-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #30
Billy Nees
VIP Member

This is all starting to seem like never ending re-runs of "The Twilight Zone"!

Reality, what a concept!
Liked