Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #21
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 702 Times in 185 Posts
Default Re: Nhra strikes again - must read for stk/ss at ned nat eve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
It's bad to say but we Stock racers look like our own worst enemy right now talking about quotas. We cried like a bunch of college girls after the election over Gainesville and in the end didn't fill the quota they gave us. I doubt they will want to listen to a whole lot more......
James
If the shootout cars get to Run Stock Eliminator as well as the shootout, than you have to add 22 more cars to the 65 cars you have now.
So, Yes i think they met the 70 car quota.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #22
Dave Conkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This won't last long when these racers find out they have to pay an entry fee, buy memberships, random pee tests, have to race at divisional races to be able to attend the big shows, buy insurance for golf cart/scooters... did I miss anything?
Dave Conkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #23
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 804 Times in 214 Posts

I have been Drag racing since 1963 and in my opinion that the sportsman racer is the minor leagues so to speak .now after stating that I feel the NHRA along with Alan Reinhardt, Mike English, Brian Lohnes , Bob Unkerfer and Johnny Motto and other veteran announcers can and should promote the Sportsman racers .These announcers have a Huge following as well as great personality’s and they have the knowledge to talk about the sportsman racers and they also need information to talk about at the event they are the best. NHRA just needs to unleash the criterial with them these announcers can and will make a difference with fans and now talking about the racers . The announcers are kind of doing this now and are gradually going towards the promotion of sportsman racing The fans I talk to are interested in all aspects of racing .They just need to be educated towads the sportsman type of racing . There are many ways to educate the fans and it starts with NHRA . there are literally thousands of stories about sportsman racer that could be told by NHRA . The Dwindling Pros stories have been told hundreds of times and most of the fans have heard them way to many times .The Sportsman racers have better stories as well as the ability to create a huge fan base by NHRA as well as by the racers them selves . There are a huge amount of untold stories about the racers out there and that is one way to get fans in the stands to watch the sportsman racers ,The fans are there to watch racing and just need to educated about us.. I just fell off my soapbox .LOL stay tune I can and will get back on my soap box .

Last edited by Don Kennedy; 03-14-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Don Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #24
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
I have been Drag racing since 1963 and in my opinion that the sportsman racer is the minor leagues so to speak .now after stating that I feel the NHRA along with Alan Reinhardt Mike English and Bob Unkerfer, Johnny Moto and other veteran announcers can and should promote the Sportsman racers .These announcers have a Huge following as well as great personality’s and they have the knowledge to talk about the sportsman racers and they also need information to talk about at the event they are the best. NHRA just needs to unleash the criterial with them these announcers can and will make a difference with fans and now talking about the racers . The announcers are kind of doing this now and are gradually going towards the promotion of sportsman racing The fans I talk to are interested in all aspects of racing .They just need to be educated towads the sportsman type of racing . There are many ways to educate the fans and it starts with NHRA . there are literally thousands of stories about sportsman racer that could be told by NHRA . The Dwindling Pros stories have been told hundreds of times and most of the fans have heard them way to many times .The Sportsman racers have better stories as well as the ability to create a huge fan base by NHRA as well as by the racers them selves . There are a huge amount of untold stories about the racers out there and that is one way to get fans in the stands to watch the sportsman racers ,The fans are there to watch racing and just need to educated about us.. I just fell off my soapbox .LOL stay tune I can and will get back on my soap box .
Click on the link to see my soapbox

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...32&oe=5928E8E5

Last edited by Don Kennedy; 03-14-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #25
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
Click on the link to see my soapbox

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...32&oe=5928E8E5
That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out - I agree but I think Judge Chamberlin in this clip is NHRA

Just a little levity

Ron
Old 03-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #26
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P View Post
So are they going to make the national event a "no prep" race?
400 spectators betting at the starting line and thousands more leaning on the guardwalls will love seeing the fuelers bounce off the walls.

How can they possibly huddle up close to the car crowding the starting line like in the video ?

...or will NHRA relax their starting line rule just for the grudge racers ?
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #27
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

I also feel that NHRA has a huge concern about Sportsman racing welfare. They just have not really realized how important we are > I don’t blame them they just need to be educated . The Sportsman racers are a very important Profit center for NHRA and they cannot do without us and we can’t do without them it is a true two way street .
I would like to see a meeting with all NHRA decision makers with some sportsman racers who can meet with NHRA without having a personal agenda to discuss common issues . I do know NHRA decisions makers will listen and that NHRA are not as most assume against the sportsman racer, they just might surprise all with a meeting to solve all of our issues in general with NHRA Drag racing . I feel that NHRA and NHRA sportsman racers may not understand the huge profit centers and huge issues of racers and NHRA now, and in some cases NHRA has a misunderstanding as well > we are in this together and whatever decisions NHRA makes it will affect all racers just need to have better communication and a few meetings with the movers and shakers of sportsman racing ,no not their friends or sponsors real racers who can discuss issues without a persona gain or agenda .Long time ago we did meet with NHRA and it was a productive meeting and there were a few racers there who had no personal agenda just wanted to solve issues for overall success of Drag racing .
Old 03-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #28
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Some Issues that may need to be discussed with NHRA are :
The Purse.
Stacking early.
National event quotas.
Tech Procedures.
Track Prep( which lately has been good.)
Run order Super Stock needs to run after Super Comp then track prep will be easier as super comp burns thru the line.
Entry fees .

?? anyone else has some issues needed to be solved or at least discussed feel free to list them

my email address is donkennedy1@cox.net .Phone number is 602-284-6240

Last edited by Don Kennedy; 03-14-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #29
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,093 Times in 286 Posts

Don, I disagree. I think the current management at NHRA, and especially the bean counters controlling the decisions with the money, have zero regard for sportsman drag racing. The only thing they have the slightest regard for is the short term bottom line. Further, they are firmly convinced, with no small amount of help from the racers, that the sportsman racers will take whatever NHRA feels like giving them, and keep right on paying for it.

Are there good people within NHRA who do care, and do want to do what is right for sportsman drag racers? Sure. But they have no decision making power, and precious little influence with those who do. Further, upper management and the bean counters would just as soon see any friends we do have within the organization gone. You need only witness the way they treat those people, and how very few are left.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #30
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Don, I disagree. I think the current management at NHRA, and especially the bean counters controlling the decisions with the money, have zero regard for sportsman drag racing. The only thing they have the slightest regard for is the short term bottom line. Further, they are firmly convinced, with no small amount of help from the racers, that the sportsman racers will take whatever NHRA feels like giving them, and keep right on paying for it.

Are there good people within NHRA who do care, and do want to do what is right for sportsman drag racers? Sure. But they have no decision making power, and precious little influence with those who do. Further, upper management and the bean counters would just as soon see any friends we do have within the organization gone. You need only witness the way they treat those people, and how very few are left.
Alan : not sure your assessment of NHRA is really accurate > If I were a bean counter and I did not know about Drag racing and I figured out that the sportsman racer brings in appx 3 to 4 million dollars a year or more it would be hard as a bean counter to not see the value of that money coming in especially if it goes away