Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #21
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Updated HP Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwydendorf View Post
How much difference do you think there is between a 69 chevy 350 stocker engine in 2011 for example and what they were rated at in 1969? If you are going to compete against engines rated in a different era then you have to rate the current engines by the same standards or at least try to.
Arlen Fadley told me about 3%. Not near enough to make up for the differences seen with the new cars. Not even close.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #22
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Our Car was actually a 2005 development car originally built in 2003....and probably destined to be crushed.....and new fascias and grill and hood scoop....and a Shelby motor....and we were there....for a whole bunch less than a new one....and maybe a couple of other modifications.....lol....but the highlight is.....I don't know about you guys....but I like new.......Just sit in one....

...unfortunately our combo isn't under factored enough to get by the under factored Pontiac mounted to a skateboard....lol
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #23
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

One of the closest races I've seen. We were afraid you had an 8 second pass hidden away. Ten more feet and you would have won that one.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 09-09-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #24
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

It was fun.....a few more feet would have done it.........Bob did a great job....with his car...
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #25
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
Our Car was actually a 2005 development car originally built in 2003....and probably destined to be crushed.....and new fascias and grill and hood scoop....and a Shelby motor....and we were there....for a whole bunch less than a new one....and maybe a couple of other modifications.....lol....but the highlight is.....I don't know about you guys....but I like new.......Just sit in one....

...unfortunately our combo isn't under factored enough to get by the under factored Pontiac mounted to a skateboard....lol
Rock, that Pontiac is one I can't see how it got approved. A 428 with round port edlebrock aluminum heads, give me a break. Plus I think it's rated less than a 400 with D port heads.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #26
Jason

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hill View Post
Rock, that Pontiac is one I can't see how it got approved. A 428 with round port edlebrock aluminum heads, give me a break. Plus I think it's rated less than a 400 with D port heads.
The 428 Pontiac head deal looks like another case of accepting a product without researching the details. That seems to be happening a lot lately.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #27
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actual is like 4.4 to 4.8 % there is a good web site Dyno Corrections that goes through the whole correction factors

http://www.land-and-sea.com/dyno-tec...horsepower.htm
and
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/cf.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Arlen Fadley told me about 3%. Not near enough to make up for the differences seen with the new cars. Not even close.

Last edited by BlueOval Ralph; 09-10-2011 at 12:23 PM.
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #28
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwydendorf View Post
How much difference do you think there is between a 69 chevy 350 stocker engine in 2011 for example and what they were rated at in 1969? If you are going to compete against engines rated in a different era then you have to rate the current engines by the same standards or at least try to.
The old combos evolved to where they are now,with all sorts of "enhancements" dished out by NHRA,in response to all the little back door rule stretching by those who wanted to be king.
These new cars are mostly all fast out of the box due to the "generous" HP assigned by NHRA.
Did you see Dave Barton's comment about his curiosity about how fast they would be with a bunch of R&D?Do I hear 8 second Stockers?
Bottom line,they're cool,but they need to have their own classes to beat each other up.
Now that would be a good thing for the fans to watch.Now it's like a karate grand master
beating up a 75 year old grandmother.Ask Jim Boudreau.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #29
dwydendorf

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
The old combos evolved to where they are now,with all sorts of "enhancements" dished out by NHRA,in response to all the little back door rule stretching by those who wanted to be king.
These new cars are mostly all fast out of the box due to the "generous" HP assigned by NHRA.
Did you see Dave Barton's comment about his curiosity about how fast they would be with a bunch of R&D?Do I hear 8 second Stockers?
Bottom line,they're cool,but they need to have their own classes to beat each other up.
Now that would be a good thing for the fans to watch.Now it's like a karate grand master
beating up a 75 year old grandmother.Ask Jim Boudreau.
Do you actually think that all these cars were put together and became wickedly fast without any development? Do you think that maybe Ray Barton would like to sell Development time along with selling a few Drag Pak motors? Many of the Drag Pak owners have alot of money and I think that Ray Barton can see a new batch of customers wanting to unload some of it.

Last edited by dwydendorf; 09-10-2011 at 10:19 AM.
dwydendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #30
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 804 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The 428 Pontiac head deal looks like another case of accepting a product without researching the details. That seems to be happening a lot lately.
The details were all known and due to the fact the Pontiac heads are almost extinct, NHRA decided to offer a option to the minority of Pontiac racers to use. This is no different than the majority of racers who have the after market blocks and heads and I could go on and on about all the major advantages the chevy racers have over the miniority of pontiac racers The bow tie block never came in a chevy from the factory etc .