HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #21
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: OLDER ENGINE SPEC's

Any of you East Coast guys remember Fred Borcherdt? I read about his Pontiacs in the magazines of the day, and they were always KILLER. I think he ran a F.I. '57 at one time. I also think he built that '69 Judge called "Rocky's Goat" that won the Finals at Dallas, one year. One of the magazines had a cover shot of that car doing a wheelie (uncommon for a Stocker, back then.)

I THINK Jerry Stealy bought that car and re-named it "NEMESIS" and ran Div. V with it for several years. It was known for long, and I mean, L-O-N-G, smoky, burnouts back then (7" tires.)
Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #22
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Smile Re: OLDER ENGINE SPEC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
All the solid cams listed for Pontiacs were dealer installed options and never were assembly line installed. Mckeller design, Isky produced. Not allowed after NHRA knocked out any combinations that were not assembly line produced.....back around 1969-1970. A '58 Pontiac also could have Rochester fuel injection.....and that was an assembly line installed item.....HP was 315 with a hydraulic cam if my memory is correct....

My first nice car was a '58 Pontiac.....so I have a fond memory of those cars.

I'd love to have one today.....
True the Isky cams were dealer/racer installed but still allowed in IHRA back in the day. Havent seen one since around 1975 though. The FI unit was on 310 HP and 338 HP combos. The 338 HP FI combo had the same specs as the 330 HP w/tri power. The 315 HP with one 4 barrel did use a hydr. for NHRA later on but was allowed the Isky solid lifter cam before they were disallowed by NHRA same as when they outlawed the SD (NASCAR) parts on the 60-61 Pontiacs.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 01-05-2011 at 08:51 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I looked at a '57 Safari wagon tow car at one race.....maybe out at York. I think it was Borcherdt's when he raced a '57 2dr. He was a trans builder from what I have read. Never knew him but liked his cars....
Rocky's Goat was a very cool car....and he raced The "It's Dynamite" Mopar wagon at Atco heads up (E/SA?) in the final round I think at the WCS race in 1970. The Mopar won ??? Hard to remember stuff from 40 years ago! He did have a cardboard barbell in the car above the rear seat on the speaker tray area.......some kind of story about coming up light on the scales and he was given the barbell as a joke....

My favorite Pontiac racer was Truman Fields........Met him once at my local track and he was running his Hard Times Firebird.....
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #24
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey View Post
Terry, how about the Super/Stock 283 1-4B Glide in 58 and in 60 Corvette. They are both 230 factored to 225 today. Thanks

Wade Mahaffey
The 58 had 60.1 head CC's, the 59 and 60 had 59.7 CC's.
Deck .015
All used a Carter WCFB
Valves were 1.725 on the Intake and 1.505 on the Exhaust.
Flat top pistons w/4 valve reliefs (2 for S/S).
As far as I can see they are all the same except for the 1958 head CC spec.
NHRA has the specs listed for the 60 on their site.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 01-05-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #25
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
Any of you East Coast guys remember Fred Borcherdt? I read about his Pontiacs in the magazines of the day, and they were always KILLER. I think he ran a F.I. '57 at one time. I also think he built that '69 Judge called "Rocky's Goat" that won the Finals at Dallas, one year. One of the magazines had a cover shot of that car doing a wheelie (uncommon for a Stocker, back then.)

I THINK Jerry Stealy bought that car and re-named it "NEMESIS" and ran Div. V with it for several years. It was known for long, and I mean, L-O-N-G, smoky, burnouts back then (7" tires.)
Lil George Cureton borrowed it and drove at the Dallas race. I dont believe he won though. I have the mag with the Rockys Goat article around someplace. I will look it up.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #26
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks, Terry. Dunno whether Fred is still around....
Old 01-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #27
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Fred Borcherdt is alive and well. He attended a racer's reunion at Cecil County in 2010- I just saw a group photo of the attendees over this weekend with Fred's signature, among others.

He lived in Milford Crossing, Delaware when the Rocky's Goat article was written. The main thing I remember from that article is that he had his own cam grinding machine.

Ron Sanders tells me that he had a rule-bending way of dealing with the siamesed exhaust ports on his '58 Pontiac. He extended a divider wall into the port that was welded to the header flange. So, the head wasn't modified, the header was re-designed. Ron said he was torn down, and as far he remembers, it was allowed.

Ron also remembers that Fred did some work on Cureton's Tokyo Rose (the first Rose was also a 58 Pontiac)), but doesn't know if Fred lent his car to George.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #28
283nova

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thanks for the 66 283 combo,
Old 01-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #29
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,533 Times in 1,976 Posts

Thanks Terry

How the 67 Shelby got so wrong is still a mystery (JimSkelly) ?
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #30
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,840 Times in 1,535 Posts

Larry, I don't think that ANYBODY realizes how many "mistakes" are really in the guide and they certainly don't just pertain to Shelbys! Maybe I'll sit down on a boring day and make me a "top 10" list.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote