HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #21
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 248 Times in 106 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk
Default Re: How much of your current ride, did you build?

I do what I can,but I have to have a good friend of mine do a lot of the major stuff at his place,and I help him. I`d lke to be able to do more myself,but not owning a garage and with the car sitting on the tailer year round in storage,makes it hard to do anything on it. Not making excuses,that`s just the way things are.

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #22
Aubrey N Bruneau

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Aubrey N Bruneau
Wink Re: How much of your current ride, did you build?

Other than machining the engine block & crank / surfacing & milling stud bosses on the heads.... I did everything on my car myself, ( original paint and interior makes that easier )... this includes the basics, as well as the roll bar installation, design & build the headers, rear end & disc brake up-grade, etc.
I agree... I think coming up with these ideas, building them, and making the car faster, IS even more rewarding than racing. Then again, I'm a lousy racer, so I may be biased.

BTW, I've been out of the loop for a few months...
Just got my recent Dragster. When did the Indexes get lowered ?
( just when I finally figured out how to get under the old one )

Last edited by Aubrey N Bruneau; 03-07-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Aubrey N Bruneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #23
Gary Smith

Liked 76 Times in 24 Posts

Except for the main roll bar hoop, all of it. I have very little pride driving something I didn't create, or very least, worked on.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #24
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Over the years I have built some and bought some, but always ended up doing most of the work myself. Earlier in life I could not afford to pay someone to do it, now I enjoy it. While it took longer then, it was my only option. Now it is option of choice... Did have some good friends help and teach me early in car life, which I greatly appreciated. I have done some of about everything, including transmissions which I have sworn off of for now!

Current 67 Firebird Convt. stocker has been done all in house so far. I have had this car over 20 years... bought in highschool and restored. Showed it, drove on street a while, and sat in the garage much more than anything. Wanted to enjoy it and know I will take better care of it on the track than on the street, and get in a lot less trouble.

I have converted the car from 4 wheel drum to 4 wheel disc, including all lines, master cylinder, prop valve, etc. All new fuel system, all new wiring, stripped front end down to sub frame with new bushing, joints, body mounts etc. I welded in the roll bar, installed the new Moser rear, Cal-trac's and springs, doing the carpet now(pain!). I have assembled most of my motors over the years (have machine work done) and have bought a couple also when deal was too good to pass up (thanks Billy). Have done most of the body work, but had paint sprayed. I have kept all of the origional parts, motor and trans, etc. just in case I ever want to go back to the street with it.

As several have said, I know my car inside and out.

I do enjoy the building, and love the driving! My sons (9 & 3) have been in the garage some with me on this build, and while still too young to fully understand, hopefully they will appreciate it somewhere down the road. I have built, bought and sold a lot of cars over the years, but this one I do not ever plan to part with.

It just all depends on what is important to you.

Good luck all!

Ken
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #25
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,093 Times in 286 Posts

We did almost everything. It was a running car when Kevin bought it, but everything except the body has been completely redone. Kevin bought the heads, the converter, and the carburetor. He paid to have the car wired (he hates electricity) and he paid to have the cage put in (he doesn't give himself near enough credit for his welding and fabrication skills). He did the interior, the fuel system, the ignition system, and all of the suspension. I built the engine, the transmission, and the rear end. With the exception of the cage and the wiring, one or both of us put everything in the car. It may not be one of the very fastest, but it is legal, and it is not store bought.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #26
Sean Marconette

Liked 167 Times in 61 Posts

I have done everything on the car. This was my first time doing paint and bodywork. It took several years. I also did all of the electrical, suspension, brakes, drivetrain, and rollbar all of the ridiculess brackets and fabricated parts.
I have to give credit where credit is due though. And that is to friends that gave great advice and what not to do. And that is first and foremost Mark Walton. Mark has built from the ground up 2 other cars and pointed me in the right direction that he wished he had done this or that. I incorporated those idea's into my car. Others that have also helped are Steve Brack. Steve helped get me pointed in the right direction with the clutch. A used G-Force from Jim Voth, who he and his family are what Drag racing is all about. Stuart Goertzen, of Headway Engine Service. Stuart did the heads on my first junk 100,000 mile untouched shortblock with a stocker cam. Stuart spent more time on my new engine last year than I could ever be able to tell him Thank you enough. If you want something done right and attention to detail, Stuart is the man. Last but not least, my wife Rose who believes in me, and also shares the same philosophy. Do things right the first time. I also have the philosophy if you want something done right, Do It Yourself!!

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote