HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #21
Boogeyman Bill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Nhra shortens t/f and f/c race to 1000 ft.

Here's my 2 cents.

It should be the race tracks responsibility to ensure that there is ample turn-offs and track distance. PERIOD. It is NHRA's responsiblity to determine what that track distance should be (based on the speeds). And it is also NHRA's responsiblity to ensure the tracks comply with the rules. Hell! That's one of the reasons we pay our membership dues for isn't it?

So I say, (1) don't slow down; (2) don't shorten the run; and (3) don't put band-ads where they aren't needed.

If lengthening the track means I pay a bit more to race, so be it. Hell I'm already poor, what's a few more dollars.
Boogeyman Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #22
SSTRACER323

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to SSTRACER323
Default Re: Nhra shortens t/f and f/c race to 1000 ft.

Sorry Bill I disagree with you!!!! on the paying part!!

If NHRA tells me new seat belts every 2 years, i change them.
If NHRA says new flex plate every 3 years, I change it.
If NHRA tells me new trans and housing shield every 5 years i change them.

Track owners do not help pay for it!!!

If NHRA says your track needs to be another 1000ft longer THEY PAY IT!

The sportsman guys are nickeled and dimmed to death all ready.
I feel it is up to the track owners to make it right not me and you.

That is my 2 cents
SSTRACER323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:24 AM   #23
BobOrme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTRACER323 View Post
If NHRA says your track needs to be another 1000ft longer THEY PAY IT!
You left out another option. The track can't expand and it loses their national event(s). E-Town would be off the schedule. So would Pomona, and probably St. Louis, Norwalk, Denver, Seattle, Maple Grove, Bristol and even Indy. The real estate just isn't there, no matter who might be expected to pay for it.

It's still 1320' for everything but the two nitro classes. Let them work it out for those two classes before the national event schedule gets reduced due to impossible-to-meet mandates.
BobOrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #24
Mark Schmidt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the beginning, I hated 1/8 mile, and still prefer 1320 but I live with it. None of us know what 334 mph feels like, but the pros do...they sound unanimous in wanting more shut down area even if it means a shorter track. Makes sense to me. Our industry is in enough of a financial bind as things are. Requiring tracks to extend or die is unrealistic. I don't think fans care about the big mph. NHRA needs to slow these things down and give more shut down area to the drivers. Nobody goes to the races to see a tragedy.

Just my .02 cents
Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #25
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Nhra shortens t/f and f/c race to 1000 ft.

I think most are missing the real reason why the fuel cars are going to fast and exploding engines. It is the allowed percentage of NITRO. Why dont they cut the percentage back to say 50 % or less and or the amount of blower boost. You know why....its because its an EGO thing with the drivers and crew chiefs. Structure the rules to cut back on the high dollar madness. The larger the "LOAD" the more timing needed, larger and dual fuel pumps, hotter ignitions, more blower boost, etc. and on and on and most cant keep the candles lit (all 8 cylinders) for a full run as it is. How many real races accually happen when both cars get down the track together to even call it a drag race? How many times is it that one car or another hasnt blown the tires off, dropped a few cylinders, thrown a blower belt, etc. Years ago they used to have 64 car fields for Top Fuel and the winner most often ran the whole race WITHOUT pulling the heads, clutch, or rebuilding the engine every run. WHY....smaller blowers, less nitro percentage, ONE smaller fuel pump, etc. Think of the cost savings and they just MIGHT have more than 15 fuel cars show up trying to fill out a 16 car field. Its all about MONEY and the SHOW. OK just my thoughts after being around this stuff for 47 + years and dont tell me I dont know wht Im talking about when it comes to fuel cars. I worked with Gene Snow on his funny car one summer before most of you guys were out of diapers. Its NO FUN pulling the heads after every run and replacing pistons. I say keep the 1/4 mile and limit the fuel rules for closer racing and save some $$$$$ also. OK....you can all jump on me now. Terry Bell
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #26
Ruth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
I think most are missing the real reason why the fuel cars are going to fast and exploding engines. It is the allowed percentage of NITRO. Why dont they cut the percentage back to say 50 % or less and or the amount of blower boost. You know why....its because its an EGO thing with the drivers and crew chiefs. Structure the rules to cut back on the high dollar madness. The larger the "LOAD" the more timing needed, larger and dual fuel pumps, hotter ignitions, more blower boost, etc. and on and on and most cant keep the candles lit (all 8 cylinders) for a full run as it is. How many real races accually happen when both cars get down the track together to even call it a drag race? How many times is it that one car or another hasnt blown the tires off, dropped a few cylinders, thrown a blower belt, etc. Years ago they used to have 64 car fields for Top Fuel and the winner most often ran the whole race WITHOUT pulling the heads, clutch, or rebuilding the engine every run. WHY....smaller blowers, less nitro percentage, ONE smaller fuel pump, etc. Think of the cost savings and they just MIGHT have more than 15 fuel cars show up trying to fill out a 16 car field. Its all about MONEY and the SHOW. OK just my thoughts after being around this stuff for 47 + years and dont tell me I dont know wht Im talking about when it comes to fuel cars. I worked with Gene Snow on his funny car one summer before most of you guys were out of diapers. Its NO FUN pulling the heads after every run and replacing pistons. I say keep the 1/4 mile and limit the fuel rules for closer racing and save some $$$$$ also. OK....you can all jump on me now. Terry Bell

AA Dale disagrees with you and says……compression is the answer …..but who the hell am I to disagree with you with your 47 years experience or AA Dale for that matter. However, I do know where I would place my bet.

I think that their is a better chance of lightning hitting me 5 times in one week than another Scott Kalitta incident in the next 20 years, that being said, not that I don’t think that something needs to be addressed and now.

As far as 1000ft ? ……..hmmmm????? ……..well I guess we better get used to seeing at lot of * asterisks * in the record books eah .

Gene Snow?

Kids in diapers?

Police reports have confirm that "in diapers" may be a bit young for his taste.

Amazing what some $$$$ can do.

Gene WAS one of my heroes …….but he is what he is…..and their is a special place for cats like him that are guilty :>(

It’s called the “ ELECTRIC CHAIR”

What these mis-wired folks need is to spend years in a prison thinking every waking hour of every day for years thinking about being fried until these usless bodies can no longer conduct current.

Sounds pretty harsh I’m sure, but PALE in comparison to the mental terror that theses folks inflict on our kids IMO.

Just my .02$ and worth every penny.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #27
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Question Re: Nhra shortens t/f and f/c race to 1000 ft.

Yes...Compression is just part of the problem also known as blower boost (overdrive). It just one of the ETC. items I mentioned. I didnt list them ALL on the post. As for the electric chair and prison remarks??????????? I dont know what you are talking about. The last time I saw Gene Snow was around 1975 when Woody Hatten was a photographer for Super Stock Magazine! It was thru Woody that I spent some time working on the funny car.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #28
Ruth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Yes...Compression is just part of the problem also known as blower boost (overdrive). It just one of the ETC. items I mentioned. I didnt list them ALL on the post. As for the electric chair and prison remarks??????????? I dont know what you are talking about. The last time I saw Gene Snow was around 1975 when Woody Hatten was a photographer for Super Stock Magazine! It was thru Woody that I spent some time working on the funny car.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....856485d2.html
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...m.596c8c7.html

Useless inf. I remember in the 80’s Gene paying Bill Mullins(sp) way on his dragster to develop the high gear only deal. Bills car was the guinea pig to develop that deal.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #29
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Cool Re: Nhra shortens t/f and f/c race to 1000 ft.

Hummmmmm, I guess that gives some credence to the old saying "FUEL QUEER's".....LOL. I never read about those charges against him. I guess you never know about people. I only knew he was good with tunning a fuel funny car and he tought me a little about nitro fueled engine back in the "Dark Ages" of drag racing.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #30
Mark Schmidt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeff,

I agree with most of your point, but I do think another 300 feet of shut down is worth looking at. I also don't think speed is the whole issue, I've seen some major kaboomz in the 70's and 80's at much slower speeds. Your point on a remote "dead man" button is well taken, the tractor pull guys have done it for years.