Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-16-2023, 03:37 PM   #21
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,653 Times in 389 Posts
Default Re: Approval of Super Stock Class Aftermarket Cylinder Heads

235 cc. No go in Nhra
Good idea but your picking a good flowing head
So as an engine builder you want good quality and an easier way out totally understand
Try picking something closer to an original stock casting yoh may satan a chance
If this line of cylinder head Chevy only?
If so that’s Nhra thinking probably
Old 04-16-2023, 03:44 PM   #22
SpeierRacing

Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
235 cc. No go in Nhra
Good idea but your picking a good flowing head
So as an engine builder you want good quality and an easier way out totally understand
Try picking something closer to an original stock casting yoh may satan a chance
If this line of cylinder head Chevy only?
If so that’s Nhra thinking probably
No one is considering that head. It was posted as a price point vs the casting submitted.

ProFiler would do anything we ask for any engine brand.

They already have a really nice inline Ford that could be used as well.
SpeierRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:01 PM   #23
shoebox racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If you want an after market head why not run a modified class or one of the three classes that start with super but don’t end with STOCK, ie street gas comp. Want a different engine try GT. Need a rule Change how about a different class or sanctioning body. I understand your one rule change will not kill the class but your one change and nine other guys one rule change will. If Bubski would stop using third person and writing cryptically he actually has the ability to see the forest for the trees. Maybe some effort to see what he is trying to convey before calling him and idiot would be good. If I had my way I would still be fighting a clutch assisted 3 speed. Maybe I was wrong to choose a class based on rules and not potential rule changes.

Mike Parmenter
SS/P 6278
shoebox racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:16 PM   #24
SpeierRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox racer View Post
If you want an after market head why not run a modified class or one of the three classes that start with super but don’t end with STOCK, ie street gas comp. Want a different engine try GT. Need a rule Change how about a different class or sanctioning body. I understand your one rule change will not kill the class but your one change and nine other guys one rule change will. If Bubski would stop using third person and writing cryptically he actually has the ability to see the forest for the trees. Maybe some effort to see what he is trying to convey before calling him and idiot would be good. If I had my way I would still be fighting a clutch assisted 3 speed. Maybe I was wrong to choose a class based on rules and not potential rule changes.

Mike Parmenter
SS/P 6278
Your missing the entire point. A few aftermarket heads are legal. We were looking for an alternative to reinventing the legal head for use. And the availability to even get them.

Nothing more.. The class has already accepted aftermarket heads, not hurting anything with another option.

Last edited by SpeierRacing; 04-16-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:11 PM   #25
shoebox racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You are correct Chad. I am missing the entire point. I wanted a class to try and go fast using as many stock parts as possible, at the time 55 chevys were not legal for stock and mine was tubbed so I chose super stock. Any recommendations on a class with the same intent as stock and super stock of yesteryear?
Old 04-16-2023, 05:52 PM   #26
SpeierRacing

Quote:
You are correct Chad. I am missing the entire point. I wanted a class to try and go fast using as many stock parts as possible, at the time 55 chevys were not legal for stock and mine was tubbed so I chose super stock. Any recommendations on a class with the same intent as stock and super stock of yesteryear?
I honestly have no idea. You might check into the SEGA Series (Southeast Gassers Association). I do many heads for those guys. They have a tunnel ram rule and any aluminum cylinder. Although the rule states must be painted.

As far as the SS head issue. It's way past the point of no return with accepted aftermarket parts.
Liked
Old 04-16-2023, 05:57 PM   #27
shoebox racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Lol! I would love to build a car for SEGA but the SE stands for south east and I’m in the north west. You are correct about the too late to turn back part. I wish you were wrong, but you are not.
Liked
Old 04-16-2023, 08:07 PM   #28
tstickff

Liked 469 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:

So if I’m reading your post correct, Edelbrock heads have been approved for what 10 years now? They are as bogus as they come and need a ton of work to make “Legal” but the only reason they are approved is because they paid NHRA a ton of money to spread their name in class racing. But no issues there…now guys who actually do the dirty work, guys like Chad who are a dying breed, want something approved that makes their job a little easier, and the part are probably nicer and better suited for super stock over 50 plus year old cast iron crap that leaks from new, they are the bad guy and get pissed on here because you, or Bubski, or others would never or could never spend that kind of money on updating their combo, so let’s just bash this whole post because the times in stock and super stock have changed? Yes they have, they have kept up with the times, guys this isn’t the 70s and 80s anymore. Prove to me that you have not upgraded your daily driver, your home, etc because screw change! I’ll wait……

Tim Stickles
Old 04-16-2023, 08:48 PM   #29
MLP

Liked 23 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeierRacing View Post
No one is considering that head. It was posted as a price point vs the casting submitted.

ProFiler would do anything we ask for any engine brand.

They already have a really nice inline Ford that could be used as well.
This approach seems to make sense to me at first blush.That being said,I have a question that's been bothering me for a while.

The guide lists Edlebrock # 60917 as a replacement for big block Mopars in Stock. The thing I don't understand is how can this head be used as it comes with a 2.14 in. and a 1.81 ex machined in this head? No bb Mopar came with these valve sizes.

A 426 Street wedge has a 2.08 in. and a 1.60 ex, and yet this head is listed in the guide as a replacement. How the #$%$ can you go that far backwards in the bowl without welding and grinding? I'm not a professional head porter, but I can imagine the new seat that would be required to accommodate the much smaller valves would have a huge shelf in the now way too big bowl. And, as Chad as mentioned, these heads don't appear to be available anyway. If Profiler could deliver usable castings that have the right chamber and port shapes and they pour the right volumes why wouldn't they be a good idea?

Replacement aluminum heads are ALL READY LEGAL people, that horse is out of the barn and ain't coming back. Allowing these heads in would simply provide a head that's available and possibly bring more new builds in to the mix.

Just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:44 PM   #30
shoebox racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Tim, you put a lot of words in my mouth that I did not speak. I have nothing but respect for the people who do cylinder heads and the work they put in. I have zero issue with Chad or anyone else. The op asked for a discussion and I thought it was a good one to have so I thought I would contribute with my personal preferences. No intention of grandeur, just my 2 cents. As for my house, it needs and gets upgraded from time to time. My daily driver is a 1974 bronco updated all the way to 1993 speed density fuel injection and I spent most of today working on my 16 year old sons 1972 Buick skylark daily driver. I guess I’m behind the times for a person in their forties. Hope you can stop waiting and move on now!