HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #21
Tim Ellis

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Latest update: Put pressure in radiator & cranked over. Some water in #6 cyl. Also put paper towels right up to head gaskets in intake valley & pressurized radiator. #6 side pretty dry but 1-4 side wet. Took off heads , blown head gasket on #6 & the top sides of both head gaskets dont seem to be sealing well. looks like that is where water was coming from. Just had the heads magged & surfaced slightly after finding the blown head gasket , they are fine. Good heads , newly decked block & Felpro head gaskets. All I can figure now is a head bolt problem. They are Arp with Washers , I used Arp sealer on the short ones & Arp moly on the long ones. The other short block had the same type problems{ head gaskets not sealing , or blowing head gasket. All I can think of is the top bolts are bottoming out, I will check for this but I am pretty sure I have before. Looks like there could have been contact in the bottom of the blind thead holes, hard to see, will look closer, plus check bolt length verses stock bolts, I did use the Arp washers too. Thanks guys. ps, I only torqed the tops & bottoms to 65# per Arp specs, I seem to remember one gasket set I used beore saying to torque long bolts higher?

Tim S. Ellis
Tim Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:48 AM   #22
Raceready

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same problem with ARP head bolts,with washers,on a pontiac engine.Switched back to stock head bolts,no problems.

Raceready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #23
sst1226

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
I had the same problem with ARP head bolts,with washers,on a pontiac engine.Switched back to stock head bolts,no problems.
Had the same thing happen on a Pontiac. I ended up keeping the ARP bolts and doubled up on the washers, and have been fine ever since.

Mario DiTeodoro III
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #24
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Pontiac heads had so many different lengths over the years it's easy for someone to have problems if they don't check beforehand. Just slip the bolt thru while the head is sitting on the bench. You only need five full turns of threads showing on any thread. I have TONS of Pontiac head bolts just for this reason. When you have the right bolt you'll never need to double washers.

PS: We've used over 3500 sets of ARP head bolts and never had a problem.
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #25
Tim Ellis

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

When i put it back together 5 or so weeks ago looks like it is fixed. Blown head gasket, blown for a mystery reason but I've got a few ideas. Thankfully seems ok now. Thanks for the help. Brian, is that Brian Thompson, Div 6?

Tim S. Ellis
Old 06-26-2007, 01:21 AM   #26
Bob Berleen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just a thought , if the heads were angle milled and the intake side was not corrected , were the counterbores for the headbolts corrected for angle as well?
this could pull the bolt heads out of line and cause the leakage
ET 691Q
Bob Berleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #27
Tim Ellis

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Smile

The head builder said the heads werent angle milled, thanx