Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #21
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 727 Times in 152 Posts
Default Re: NHRA letter on AHFS....

Have fun they are a great place to race

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GTOMan View Post
I don't know whats going on with the NHRA. I raced a max wedge 415 hp back in the 70s d/sa and you had to have the right engine, trans ,ect,ect. I'm just now getting back into it and i'm dissapointed about the new rules. I was hoping to run stock eliminater, but after reading and hearing the forums I 'll just run brackets.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #22
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts
Wink Re: NHRA letter on AHFS....

Put Wesley Robertson in charge of HP ratings and everything would take care of itself.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
Tony Janes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

That would be to much power to one person.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

How about taking it off for Indy......in class elims.....maybe just the 1.20 or 1.30 auto hit...in place...now that would be fun to watch....lol
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #25
tim worner

Liked 126 Times in 20 Posts

Go to M.I.R. next weekend for the Sportsman Spectacular. No AHFS there to worry about.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #26
Bryan Worner

Liked 417 Times in 68 Posts

Wade, I agree with most of your letter. However, we do need the AHFS! Maybe a few additions/corrections are needed to refine it, but it is needed!

As for the Sportsnational races, the only trigger is the 1.25 over permanent hit (old 1.40 under). The AHFS rules for Sportsnationals are the same as National Opens. No 1 second under runs count towards AHFS. Only runs of 1.25 under, which are instant adjustments, count. I feel that if a combo can go 1.25 under the new indexes, it needs a horsepower adjustment!
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #27
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

That's only -1.55 under the "old" indexes... why do you hate people who like to work on their cars?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #28
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Owens View Post
Dear NHRA and Tech Dept,

I’m writing you this letter in hopes of getting you to reconsider some of the policies concerning AHFS and the 1.00 under trigger at all races.

I have always loved Stock and Super Stock racing. I would go every week to our local track, hoping that SS/K car would be there or some other class guy who had to test before a “big race”. Then, when I raced my own car in SS during the mid 1990’s, it was a dream come true. I still believe these are the coolest race cars ever. But, I feel NHRA has lost touch with what some of its racers wants.

As you are well aware, the AHFS was modified over the winter, due largely in part to the Drag Packs and Cobra Jets. I feel like when Indy qualifying was over, it left a big black mark on the low horsepower factors, necessitating the change. But, the system was and is flawed because it still can be manipulated. Take a look at how many guys have slowed their car down because of this. Many are now in protect mode, to save their factor. Most believe a heads up may come some day, and want to be ready for the challenge. In classes where performance is supposed to shine, it has been dulled significantly by the trigger and AHFS. To me, it IS still a performance based eliminator, otherwise, why do we qualify? Why not just go to an all run and random pairings with no heads ups? You know as well as I do this
would be the end of Class racing.

NHRA told us that you, along with the manufacturers had to restructure the payouts to save class racing. But, it really goes deeper than that. With the current damper on showing your cars potential, why would I call my converter guy and spend $1000 to gain a few more hundreths? Why call the cam guy and spend $900 on that updated cam and lifters? Why spend the $200 extra bucks on axles for the real light stuff? All of the above support class winners. As far as it goes, why work to do ANYTHING to improve the car. Don’t you think the class sponsors want us spending our money with them? Why would they want to consider continuing support if they thought we weren’t going to buy anything, possibly for years? Come on guys, this is what would really upset the manufacturers and maybe cause them to pull their sponsorship money. 75% off the time, I had to race someone in class. I do realize how much the companies were spending and often wondered how they could do it. Some of them raised prices to offset cost of class winners, some put a time limit on your product purchase, still others require the proof of purchase. All are fine with me, as long as they pay as promised and I always look at who supports us before I buy any item for the car. But what if we didn’t buy anything?

I’m not saying for a second that there shouldn’t be some attempt at parity. What I am saying is there should be a way to keep the performance aspect going, too. Someone mentioned about giving bonus points to the top 3 or 5 qualifiers of each event. This would definitely be interesting towards the end of the year. I can see guys taking hits for the much needed points. Also noted was giving bonus points for setting the record. Same deal, could make for some interesting scenarios come fall.

I would like to see you guys lift the trigger and eliminate AHFS data for the SportsNationals races. (Its only 3 races a year) Why? This is supposed to be for the backbone sportsman. With no Alcohol cars present, the show becomes the Stock and Super Stock class runoffs. Wouldn’t you want it to showcase how fast these cars can go and how hard some of the owners have worked to get them there? All of the “old timers” talk about beating so and so or how bad so and so beat me one time. NONE of them say “he lifted at 1000’”. You would still have all of the other races, Nationals, Divisionals and Opens to calculate your data. But, this would give the performance oriented guys a place to stretch their legs, show off or stroke their egos, or whatever, depending on who is telling the story.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I really do enjoy class racing and want to see it around for many years to come. Please look out for our best interest along with the manufacturers and yours.

See you at the races,
Wade Owens

Above is a copy of a letter I sent to NHRA Tech. I would like some feedback on what you guys think too. I would hope this will stay a positive discussion, but, I'm also a realist, also.
I would suggest taking this letter, modifying it to a degree, and forward to the companies which support our racing. You should be able to cut/paste and make appropriate recommendations based on their products and impact they have on class racing. Don't limit the letter to just their products.
Other racers could do the same. Try not to make it look like a form letter.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #29
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Janes View Post
That would be to much power to one person.
Did you feel like Farmer did a good job?

I think Wesley would be great, but can't imagine him wanting the head aches.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #30
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
That's only -1.55 under the "old" indexes... why do you hate people who like to work on their cars?
That was a joke, right? lol