Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #21
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 805 Times in 390 Posts
Default Re: Speaker Pelosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fite View Post
Didn't same thing happen in California this summer?

Thank for playing...
Please try again...

It did but I don't live on the Edison grid so I wasn't effected in the 121 degree heat where I live. There are 13 major providers of electric power statewide. Not a single provider and single grid as in Texas.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #22
r429469

Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts

Randy, does the hate keep you warm?

OOOhhhh yeah.

Will I am Sands
r429469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #23
Randy Wells

Liked 1,021 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r429469 View Post
Randy, does the hate keep you warm?

OOOhhhh yeah.

Will I am Sands
You tell me Willey does it keep you warm!

Randy
Randy Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:01 PM   #24
L.Fite

Liked 366 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddies66 View Post
It did but I don't live on the Edison grid so I wasn't effected in the 121 degree heat where I live. There are 13 major providers of electric power statewide. Not a single provider and single grid as in Texas.
There is one grid, but many providers...
If you speak of ERCOT, they don't provide squat...
ERCOT is supposed to be the watch dog to the providers...
I guess they broke off their chain!
ERCOT came from the deregulation of energy in Texas...
Before dereg. there was still more than one provider geographically...
Houston Light and Power, and Gulf State Utilities here in the southeast part of Texas, all providers at the time were considered monopolies and had to answer to the PUC...
At that time providers were required by law to have excess capacity to prevent things like what just occurred.
Come dereg. and the landscape changed...
Now they are split into generation, sales, and distribution.
Basically adding middle men to sell electricity and of course ERCOT to manage the grid.
With that came the spot market for generation...
No longer was the a requirement for the distributor of power to maintain excess generation, (not economical to the generators)...
Then we decide we need to be green...
So...20 or 25% (not certain the exact number) of non reliable "green energy", no excess capacity, Throw in some off peak maintenance, and an Artic air blast, stir, and boom you're now at 70-80% capacity and 120% demand.
Result... Disaster...
Did anyone see it coming?...
Yes...Probably, I know I did, but I'm a nobody...
So where was ERCOT in all of this?...
The president of ERCOT lives in Michigan I hear...
The Vice president in lives in Germany?... an economics professor is what I heard.
Oh and they weren't doing on site inspections... Because...you know...covid.
What could go wrong?

Just my observations...
L.Fite is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-19-2021, 04:01 PM   #25
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts

This morning I heard on "OvernightDrive with Steve Summers".com on youtube that recently china joes' friends friends are the majority producers of those BIG transformers used across the U.S. and other nations and there is no telling what little electronic goodies are built into them. That is why Pres. Trump wanted to ban parts for the grid that came from elsewhere, and china joe's exec. order cancelled it.The show is on 12 midnight to 5am SundayMonday night thru Thursday night/Friday morning eastern. You can learn about alot of stuff.
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #26
r429469

Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts

Willy says, let it go.

I hate only hate.

But you are full, let it go, there is no reason to be that way.

By the way its 82 and partly cloudy.

Keep the BP low or .........
r429469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #27
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,348 Times in 412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubski View Post
Madame de Sade n Perv Joe would like u to wear a mask as they do !! so you cannot see the death in their disgusting faces !! or is it feces ?? Anyway !! Can anyone but a few see thru this "spell" they are putting the US or the world under ?? WTF is going on with good ole common sense and decency ??
Common sense is something that you obviously have none of, and know nothing about.
Liked
Old 02-19-2021, 10:51 PM   #28
63corvette

Liked 300 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fite View Post
There is one grid, but many providers...
If you speak of ERCOT, they don't provide squat...
ERCOT is supposed to be the watch dog to the providers...
I guess they broke off their chain!
ERCOT came from the deregulation of energy in Texas...
Before dereg. there was still more than one provider geographically...
Houston Light and Power, and Gulf State Utilities here in the southeast part of Texas, all providers at the time were considered monopolies and had to answer to the PUC...
At that time providers were required by law to have excess capacity to prevent things like what just occurred.
Come dereg. and the landscape changed...
Now they are split into generation, sales, and distribution.
Basically adding middle men to sell electricity and of course ERCOT to manage the grid.
With that came the spot market for generation...
No longer was the a requirement for the distributor of power to maintain excess generation, (not economical to the generators)...
Then we decide we need to be green...
So...20 or 25% (not certain the exact number) of non reliable "green energy", no excess capacity, Throw in some off peak maintenance, and an Artic air blast, stir, and boom you're now at 70-80% capacity and 120% demand.
Result... Disaster...
Did anyone see it coming?...
Yes...Probably, I know I did, but I'm a nobody...
So where was ERCOT in all of this?...
The president of ERCOT lives in Michigan I hear...
The Vice president in lives in Germany?... an economics professor is what I heard.
Oh and they weren't doing on site inspections... Because...you know...covid.
What could go wrong?

Just my observations...
Very good description of the issue only there is one more thing to add.
The electric generators also must schedule gas to be delivered to the gas fired generator locations.
Most only schedule for their needs or projections and do not purchase any extra from the gas transporters. They can purchase contingent/reserved gas which costs extra in case of unknowns of things like just happened however, most do not due to the cost.
The local electric company actually admitted they were short 30% of their gas needs when the peak generation was need. They had gas generators just not the fuel to run them.
The local electric company in years past idled a coal fired operation I am told for many reasons.
What happened in Texas was a perfect storm all coming together at once of many issues which ended badly.
I have watched one of the big windmills get out of balance due to ice buildup on the blades and it is not pretty. As the ice comes off the blades as they are turning is also something to see from a distance a long distance. It can throw ice a long way.
Just My Take
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #29
L.Fite

Liked 366 Times in 182 Posts

Most only schedule for their needs or projections and do not purchase any extra from the gas transporters. They can purchase contingent/reserved gas which costs extra in case of unknowns of things like just happened however, most do not due to the cost.

Pre deregulation the PUC wouldn't have allowed that...

As Pogo once said:
"We has meet the enemy, and we is them"
L.Fite is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #30
63corvette

Liked 300 Times in 91 Posts

[QUOTE=L.Fite;634846]Most only schedule for their needs or projections and do not purchase any extra from the gas transporters. They can purchase contingent/reserved gas which costs extra in case of unknowns of things like just happened however, most do not due to the cost.

Pre deregulation the PUC wouldn't have allowed that...

In most cases if and only if the regulators were paying attention on both sides of the utilities.
I worked for a large gas pipeline company in the 1980's in pipeline operations when the pipelines were deregulated and made presentations to many electric and gas utilities following deregulation. The utilities at that time were clueless as to what had happened to the scheduling of gas to their plants/cities. Now that they were in charge of that process for their operations.
Before deregulation of the pipelines the gas pipelines were hammered if a gas shortage took place by state and federal regulators if it was an interstate operation.
After deregulation the pipelines were just like FedEx and UPS and made transportation take place only at the direction of the purchaser of the gas to be delivered to.
Following deregulation of the pipelines the utilities were clueless on how to handle the scheduling.
Enron, remember Enron took advantage of that scheduling issue with the utilities and put together a large scheduling desk in their Houston office. They made big bucks in scheduling the gas deliveries around the country on their pipelines and other pipelines. I think they also did get into electric deliveries and scheduling on a small scale.
California had their on system as only a California utility could operate in the state.
Everything changed hands at the state border. Intrastate operations only no interstate.
Full control by State of California regulators.
Enron worked the system and made it work to their advantage and made huge profits in buying/owning and scheduling natural gas and electricity into the California markets.
I do not know of anyone going to jail for the issues created by deregulation and some of the utilities being taken advantage of.
This situation is sort of what just happened in Texas.
No one seemed to be in charge of making sure electricity or gas was available for the extremes. ERCOT was missing in action.
Plenty of blame to go around.
Just My Observations
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked