HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #21
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: Do Stockers need correct year seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCandless View Post
I know I'm far from the most positive person when comes to bracket racing and racing in general these days. It's incidents like this that make me that way. Racing has gone away from being fun with things like this. Most that know me, know I raced to simply have a good time. I raced to get away from work. Then to come to the track, listen to the bitching over something that has no effect on the outcome of a race, crazy. I'd hate to know my life was so boring that I had to be obsessed with someone else's car. Much less a car that isn't in their class. There wasn't a SINGLE K/CM in our division last year or this year as far as I know. If there was I'm sure it would outrun me as I was usually .4-.5 under the index.

I imagine it was the same person that complained we didn't have a cage in the car. Nothing like being at piedmont last year with the tech guy coming over asking if we had a cage in the car. It's a stationwagon with 500 window's with bars running everywhere. I didn't know ray charles was racing stock last year.

Oh well, is what it is. I'll make sure to bring the grill out for the rod/piston party. Going to be fun!
And I'll bring the beer! Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #22
herbjr
VIP Member

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: Do Stockers need correct year seats?

The issue is this. We have a set of 70 and later HIGH BACK bucket seats in a 67 Dodge wagon. The Duster seats as I will call them are the heaviest Bucket Seat made. The B Body seat is a lower back seat with a head rest. Its LIGHTER. The Bench was quite a bit lighter. Our seats have the track and they work if we pull one bolt out. They tilt forward as they dont need to in a 4 door wagon but they do. There is no Center Console which they are to have. I also have a 1967 Parts catalog which shows an optional bucket seat like they used in all Dodge Chargers as an optional seat for the wagon. They also built 383 4 speed wagons in 67 with Bucket seats STANDARD. Oh yea and lets not forget Lee Smiths car, with one with a hood scoop and the battery moved to the trunk per the NHRA classification guide. Guess what it ran SS/G in NHRA with you guess it Bucket seats. We were told we could notch the bench seat. Well I guess now Ill have to take it to one of the best fabricators in the USA (My DAD) to notch all but maybe 4 inches out of the factory bench, guess what then it will be almost 25 lbs lighter than the 2 buckets that are in there. Keep in mind we were using the HEAVIEST buckets made. So the track lost an entry, IHRA lost a membership, and we have factory documentation that 67s came with buckets. Have a nice day. I remember now why I quit in 96.

Herb Jr

Last edited by herbjr; 04-11-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: who knows.
herbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #23
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Do Stockers need correct year seats?

It's OK if IHRA wants to let you race with a feather duster stuffed up your butt...

Leave NHRA STOCK alone because we knew the rules when we built the car....

If you don't think that putting every lightweight component that you can find forward of the rear wheels then you better take up another hobby....

Bob
Old 04-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #24
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts

The Tech Dept enforcing correct seats may be why 1,093 Stock racers competed for points at NHRA in the 2009 season.

Already for 2010 there have been 323 Stock racers running and a lot of Divisions have not even started their seasons yet.

Enforcing seat rules must be working at NHRA. I plan on doing my part.

Travis

(Disclaimer: Opinions and showing data for proving a point expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my opinions and what else I said.)
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #25
Mike McCandless

Liked 55 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post
It's OK if IHRA wants to let you race with a feather duster stuffed up your butt...

Leave NHRA STOCK alone because we knew the rules when we built the car....

If you don't think that putting every lightweight component that you can find forward of the rear wheels then you better take up another hobby....

Bob
Well good for you. In little IHRA, nobody is in my class. So rather than dump a ton of time and money into a car, I got a car that will never have a heads up run. Like I said, I ran .5 under the index, last year I never had a car in my class. I work smart, not hard. Maybe you should choose a different combo and not worry so much?
Mike McCandless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #26
Floyd Gomez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Miller View Post
The Tech Dept enforcing correct seats may be why 1,093 Stock racers competed for points at NHRA in the 2009 season.

Already for 2010 there have been 323 Stock racers running and a lot of Divisions have not even started their seasons yet.

Enforcing seat rules must be working at NHRA. I plan on doing my part.

Travis

(Disclaimer: Opinions and showing data for proving a point expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my opinions and what else I said.)
Travis, Can you show me anywhere in the rule book where it says I must run the seats that came with my car? Just curious and want to make sure I did not misread anything or misunderstand the tech department in Glendora.
Floyd Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #27
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Do Stockers need correct year seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCandless View Post
Well good for you. In little IHRA, nobody is in my class. So rather than dump a ton of time and money into a car, I got a car that will never have a heads up run. Like I said, I ran .5 under the index, last year I never had a car in my class. I work smart, not hard. Maybe you should choose a different combo and not worry so much?
Travis is the NHRA Div 3 tech guy and a damn good one at that. One of the best and VERY knowledgeable when it comes to stock and S/S class cars. Its evident that you dont know enough about stock or class racing to even know who your talking to or why stock is required stock seats. If my friend from Md. hadnt sold his 65 Red Ply. K/CM classed car you woud have plenty to worry about in a heads up race. Right now he is looking for another car to install his drive train in so you might as well "sell the **** house" as they say. Put the right seats in the car, make it run quicker by working on it and quit whinning.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 04-11-2010 at 06:59 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #28
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 690 Times in 268 Posts

Travis or whom ever,
I would like to know how you identify the exact year-model of seats. Is it just looks or is there some numbers/pictures (what ever)?? In other words: is the decision of the seat legality subjective or objective?
I have a friend building, piecing together, a car and we were wondering if that was something else to look into..
Thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #29
Ken Keir

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Yes

Ken Keir
1470 A/SA
Ken Keir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #30
herbjr
VIP Member

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Travis is the NHRA Div 3 tech guy and a damn good one at that. One of the best and VERY knowledgeable when it comes to stock and S/S class cars. Its evident that you dont know enough about stock or class racing to even know who your talking to or why stock is required stock seats. If my friend from Md. hadnt sold his 65 Red Ply. K/CM classed car you woud have plenty to worry about in a heads up race. Right now he is looking for another car to install his drive train in so you might as well "sell the **** house" as they say. Put the right seats in the car, make it run quicker by working on it and quit whinning.

Terry the point is the car came with bucket seats and I'm told I have to replace them. High Back or Low back its not the point. THe car will have a 383 in it for NHRA stock for my son, I guess I will have to figure out what Travis wants. I personally met Travis in 94 at VA and he teched my lebaron with no problem.

I'm only bitching because the car came with something and I cant run that.
herbjr is offline   Reply With Quote