Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #21
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,725 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: National Dragster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that NHRA wants to do away with ND and the costs associated with print and postage and go digital only ?
Absolutely, and while they are at it they can keep there pin, decals, and coupons too.. give me back the rule book!
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #22
kansas stocker

Liked 237 Times in 44 Posts

Looked forward to receiving ND in the old days. 48 issues a year, a rule book, national record holders in every class in every edition, and a profile of national event sites and how to get there. I have to admit I've seen a lot of changes and have been against almost every one. Enhancement isn't always what it seems.
kansas stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 08:03 PM   #23
Dan Bennett

Liked 404 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Fire everyone at the ND and put Bill Howell in charge to reorganize. Jim

You'd be getting rid of the few good people still there. And though I have high regard for Bill Howell, he wouldn't be able to do squat unless you could magically "put" him as Vice President (Executive VP?) of publications.

I knew all of the staff during the times we all miss - the 48 issue era. The reason it was a good publication then was that every staffer was just as much into drag racing as we all are. They cared about racing and racers and it showed.

I'm not going to throw firebombs, when when the "times are tough" thing became the motto in Glendora a bunch (most?) of the people were simply fired. OK, let go, if you want to make it sound better.

I haven't had any interaction with the remaining veterans in many years, but I will guarantee you that they are more upset with the product in 2022 than you are. It's a shame, but paychecks are important to all of us.

Even back then, there was a very short leash on the staff and the suits kept a firm grip on it. I can't imagine what it's like now with all the staff and budget cuts.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:56 AM   #24
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Cool Re: National Dragster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bennett View Post
You'd be getting rid of the few good people still there. And though I have high regard for Bill Howell, he wouldn't be able to do squat unless you could magically "put" him as Vice President (Executive VP?) of publications.

I knew all of the staff during the times we all miss - the 48 issue era. The reason it was a good publication then was that every staffer was just as much into drag racing as we all are. They cared about racing and racers and it showed.

I'm not going to throw firebombs, when when the "times are tough" thing became the motto in Glendora a bunch (most?) of the people were simply fired. OK, let go, if you want to make it sound better.

I haven't had any interaction with the remaining veterans in many years, but I will guarantee you that they are more upset with the product in 2022 than you are. It's a shame, but paychecks are important to all of us.

Even back then, there was a very short leash on the staff and the suits kept a firm grip on it. I can't imagine what it's like now with all the staff and budget cuts.

Sure, OK, so put Bill in as V.P of PR and Publications. Problem fixed! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #25
Brett C
VIP Member

Liked 881 Times in 197 Posts

NHRA website playing trivia games, yet not one thing about sportsman at Gators yet! Sad!
Brett C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:28 AM   #26
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett C View Post
NHRA website playing trivia games, yet not one thing about sportsman at Gators yet! Sad!
Reminds me of not long ago before they went to the thick pages that almost every issue they would have a full page black and white photo from the 1950's or 60's.

Yet......not one single page was available to publish the National Records at least once every 3 months.....
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #27
SS/1230

Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts

Doesn't that seem to be the direction EVERYTHING in this country is going?

You pay more and get less...
SS/1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-23-2022, 09:07 AM   #28
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,752 Times in 426 Posts

In the way-way-back the results filtered out to the reading public over time. In this day, we know most of the results almost instantly. All of the record information, etc. is available on the NHRA website. What is the need to continually print information that the vast majority of readers have zero interest in?

I would like to see recognition for setting a record, number one qualifier, etc.

Personally, I like the new "glossy" Dragster. I think that they do a pretty decent job of representing the NHRA and drag racing to the general public. Especially in a time where print is struggling to survive.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:20 AM   #29
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 1,065 Times in 327 Posts

So, a few years back I used to submit articles to ND for my series, when it was 48 issues, we would have no problem on getting them published. A few years back when it was 48 issues they came out with new rules and regulations on how many words and how it needed to be formatted. I kind of knew the writing was on the wall for the direction the paper was going in. I kindly asked that the wording amounts could be reviewed because I believe it was 200 words or less and if it went over, they would send your article back and not publish it. Well, when you went by their formatting rules (Track, Location, Date, Series, Title) you used up about 30 words automatically so trying to fit 2 races with 3 different classes each day became a struggle. I still submitted them only to find that they chopped the article up so bad to make it fit the 3 pages they would have for member track news that I gave up last year when they went to 12 articles. I just submit to Drag Champ, Drag Racing Online and other publications now instead of waiting 3 months past an event to get the coverage printed. It is a shame but, I think with the costs of everything and us being in a digital world now this is the new direction for the newer crowd. I can say the older crowd wasn't soo happy about it as my dad was not happy, they cut down to 12 because like most of us, that is the "throne" reading material so now he analyzes that article from front to back till the next ND is delivered and god help if it's a few days late.....lol.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-24-2022, 05:36 AM   #30
tpoh815

Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts

Well at least you still have all that the contingency money to race for!