HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: DOT police going to Charlotte

But you are commercial. you are racing for money right? You have sponsors on your car right?
We are on the same team here but thats what they are going to say.
Chip Johnson
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #22
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LEGEND View Post
But you are commercial. you are racing for money right? You have sponsors on your car right?
We are on the same team here but thats what they are going to say.
Chip Johnson
The distinction is that I'm not a pro. I'm not racing for money to live on, I'm racing for fun. I don't claim my expenses on my tax return. Yes, I may win, and I may get money from these contingent sponsors for using their parts, but I don't make more than I spend. It's just gravy. And to the extent I do win, if it meets IRS guidelines I claim it on my taxes, but it never exceeds my costs so I never pay any taxes on it.

So I'm not a pro, I'm not incorporated, the vehicles are registered in my name, I do not write off travel or other expenses, so therefore, I'm not commercial.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #23
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

INTENT is the word for today.
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #24
rob7181

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dale, what did you find out from the DOT in Baltimore? How long is your new trailer and what did it weigh? Do you have lettering on the sides or back end?
rob7181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
dragracer9911

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

For what it is worth, there is a web site called yellowbullett.com. If you go on there, go to the search feature. search a couple of ways. 1) Stopped while towing. 2) Trailer Towing Regulations, 3) Trailer Towing Questions. You can also try some of your own. Over he last two years, that I have gone on their web site, there has been numerous discussions about CDL Licenses, towing regulations, different state regulations, etc. There are some very knowledgable people on there, some state troppers and DOT officials. It seams that everyone towing a trailer any more are under the same scrunity by scale officials and policemen. The use of Motorhomes, lettering, CDL licenses, trailer weights, combo weights, Gross weights, etc. has been discussed. It may not answer any or all you questions, but it may offer some more insite.
dragracer9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #26
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,965 Times in 648 Posts

We are loggers here in nc so we deal with this crap every day. In this state the tow vehicle must be registered with weighted tags to the combined weight of the tow vehicle and trailer. You can get weighted tags as heavy as you want to pay for but if they are more than the gvwr of the vehicle you will be ticketed to the gvwr. Also I have noticed a couple in the past having 2 or 3 drums of gas stowed inside their trailers, according to federal law if you have the capacity of more than 119 gallons you must have cdl license with a hazmat endorsement and the trailer must be placarded on 4 sides. This one you should be aware of it doesn't matter if the drums are empty you would tickets and put out of service. NC is broke like many other states and have stepped up their DOT enforcement over the last several years including ticketing offshore fishermen with the really nice boats for not having oversize load permits( anything over 8.5 feet wide). This is our state's way of adding to you guys enhancements. James
HR9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #27
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Question Re: DOT police going to Charlotte

Have these DOT jerks been screwing with anyone using an open trailer ?
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #28
dussault.racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LEGEND View Post
Cal,
I don't think you need the DOT card or number until you cross over 26,001. Unless you have air brakes.
Chip Johnson
As a owner operator with my own authority i can tell you for sure... any gvw over 10,000 NEEDS a US DOT #, this is federal law! I believe you only need a medical card if you have a class A or B CDL.
I spend every day playing cat and mouse with DOT. If they pull you over they will find something!!!!!! They are bread in the academy to hate truckers and anything that resembles one.. Some helpfull info could be found on the fmcsa web site.
dussault.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #29
koncenracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mr france in baltimore must been having a bad day because he was short with me and i felt like he was arguing with me. i was just asking questions,he didnt even let me describe my trailor. he said in md the take truck and trailor together not like nc or va.but he said i was in nc and probly will have to pay ticket. i still not sure why but felt i couldnt ask more questions. their has to be polite person who would explain it all. iguess i will up the weight tag on truck. still like to fight ticket if i can get any facts. 44' gooseneck no writing anywhere on trailer. 1st time out with it.
koncenracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #30
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: DOT police going to Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncenracing View Post
mr france in baltimore must been having a bad day because he was short with me and i felt like he was arguing with me. i was just asking questions,he didnt even let me describe my trailor. he said in md the take truck and trailor together not like nc or va.but he said i was in nc and probly will have to pay ticket. i still not sure why but felt i couldnt ask more questions. their has to be polite person who would explain it all. iguess i will up the weight tag on truck. still like to fight ticket if i can get any facts. 44' gooseneck no writing anywhere on trailer. 1st time out with it.
I guess everyone will have to stay out of NC or go back to flat towing.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote