Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #21
Andrew Hill

Liked 170 Times in 38 Posts
Default Re: How about those ford cj's at vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypuppy4865 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone else noted the increments on Don Fezell's CJ in Richmond. To compare go to http://www.nhra.com/livetiming/livetiming.aspx and click on Race Archives. Find Virginia NHRA Nationals and click results. Compare Friday's Q1 increments to Sunday's R2 increments. They are pretty amazing!
Wow, that looks like his R2 run would have been in the high 9.50s.
Andrew Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 PM   #22
countrypuppy4865

Liked 195 Times in 65 Posts

Andrew,
I was figuring atleast that maybe quicker because he may have been lifting before 1000 ft.
countrypuppy4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #23
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Loge View Post
Keep in mind when the camaro and firebirds first came out were they not F,G and H cars, now b,c and d. It may take awhile but it is still good for our class. It may hurt now but an injection of some sort is better than sitting idle.

New blood stings when first injected but sooths other faults
And the Mustangs started in A and AA, so, other than not being able to run A after about Tuesday, where do they go from here?

Since it had already happened before, there was no excuse for it to happen again. Constant repetition of "it happened X years ago with Y cars" doesn't make it right for it to happen again with a different car or cars. What it does is either make NHRA look like fools for letting it happen again, or make us look like fools for letting NHRA do it to us again.

I don't see any "other faults" that bogus race cars with under factored engines capable of running 2 seconds under their indexes are "soothing". They sure as Hell won't inspire NHRA to do anything with the AHFS, and in fact, it'll probably be just the opposite. They won't inspire anyone to build anything to race, either, except a few who have plenty of money and can afford to either buy these new "factory race cars" or build copies.

Honestly, I can't see where this is so "good" for Stock or Super Stock. Did the entire class get anything out of it? No. We didn't get sudden national exposure in print, nor an increase in television time, either. There hasn't been any real increase in the purse or contingencies (for the most part, entry fees went up, and as a general rule, contingency payouts went down, while the purse remained the same as it has for years). We aren't treated any better by NHRA, either. I keep looking for all of this improvement these new cars are supposed to be bringing. It ain't happening.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #24
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfan1 View Post
They won't have to carry 112 lbs. more because they will only be legal for AA/S and AA/SA with their new factor of 7.38. They will only have to add weight to get to the 7.50 AA/S and AA/SA factor. In A/S and A/SA their class minimum weight was 3400lbs (8 x 425); now their class minimum will be 3293lbs (7.5 x 439). As I see it, the main effect will be that they will have to run off of the much tougher 10.90 AA/S and AA/SA index instead of the 11.25 A/S or the 11.30 A/SA indexes.
Bill Seabrooks - superfan1
Bridgeport, Ct.
That they will still be able to run at least 1.5 to 2.0 seconds under.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #25
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROY View Post
The guys complaining about horsepower numbers must be GM guys.Take a 375hp,396,same specs as a 425hp,396,soooooo.Think of the many hp factors for basically the same 350 chevy engine.NHRA has always facrored according to who makes the most noise and who is their biggest sponsor at that time! JMO,got out of "stock" in the 70's when it was getting stupid! ROY.
The 396/375 and the 396/425 were virtually identical, and remained the same for the 396/375 for 4 years after. The 425 rating was a marketing ploy.

If you flow the heads and intakes for those "basically the same" 350 engines, you'll find they are actually a bit different.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #26
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Guys many of you are missing the Point of the Mustangs. It got a factory to be interested in Drag racing again. NHRA wins. It got several more entries to events by guys seeing the bogus HP and jumping into them. NHRA wins. Everyone else keeps bringing their cars and racing NHRA wins. Many people talk about the injustice but are powerless to change it. NHRA at least breaks even....This is not about Fairness, it is not about racing, it is not about good factoring or intelligent thought related to the cars.... it is all about NHRA making money... Correctly done or poorly done... they continue to use the same thinking to do it..Our choices are continue to go and pay them entry, continue to complain of the unfairness and just race or..... Sad it kills the hobby many of us lived for...

Last edited by Dick Butler; 11-01-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #27
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 95 Posts

The last of the cj's is gone. Ran dead on with a 0 and still lost.
I guess all that extra horsepower didn't help.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #28
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I seems to help them win class....
Old 11-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #29
davidhuff

Liked 120 Times in 42 Posts

I love the old chevy,mopar and ford cars just like you guys do,but a lot of members are tired of trying to find and race a 40 year old stocker.I think the new cobra jets in the end will be great for nhra drag racing.Just my .02 cents!
davidhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #30
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhuff View Post
I love the old chevy,mopar and ford cars just like you guys do,but a lot of members are tired of trying to find and race a 40 year old stocker.I think the new cobra jets in the end will be great for nhra drag racing.Just my .02 cents!

Sorry David, I don't think that argument has any real merit. If you take the time to look, for example, you can find an A, B, F, or X body Chevy, say from 66-70, for $10K. For the rest, if you have to pay for everything if you shop, you should be able to get it done for under $50K more. For a total of $60 to $65K, again, if you just carry it to a shop and say "make this a Stock Eliminator car", then go buy an engine and transmission.

A new Cobra Jet is, or was $75K. And that does not include a real racing transmission, or the pieces that go with it.

Of course, I suppose the new cars might drive down the price of an older used AA, A, or B car if the owner got fed up with the whole thing. And I really don't think that is good for the class, either.