Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #191
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuces wild View Post
Some people are saying NHRA needs crate motor cars because of car counts. I looked today and the winternationals looks pretty full to me in S/SS. I haven't raced at an NHRA event yet(I will in April at Dallas if work allows). I have spectated at numerous D4 races and I can tell you alot more guys turn out in S/SS at those races than the IHRA races I have raced in D4. I don't know about the rest of the country.
I don't think NHRA needs crate motors for car counts. That's why they are doing everything they can to limit fields and make it difficult to participate in Stock. Interestingly enough, they have "borrowed" most other IHRA classes - Top Sportsman, Pro Mod, Top Stock, I think they tried something with bikes....I'm sure there is more.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #192
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson View Post
come on mike i thought i did good enough to be classified as a bracket racer now....lol....put about 357 on the ole crate this year...not bad
Get outta here! Man, I only made 222 runs on the Volare last year. Sounds like you were busy when I was out on the road! ...although I haven't counted up runs on the Mirada yet.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 AM   #193
bsa633
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
>> i still think that this has to do with more bracket oriented racers just "wanting in" than anything else

Actually, a large number of the crate motor guys are primarily class racers. While there are some die-hards like me, Macy, Southards, that will race anything anytime anywhere, there are many others that rarely if ever bracket race.
Is there a lot of "Class run offs" in IHRA? didn't know they had that..you learn every day..

Last edited by bsa633; 01-14-2009 at 10:25 AM.
bsa633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #194
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Re: Crate Motor Class

yeah mike, sometimes a night at the ole roxboro can lead to about 15 or 16 rounds...... we did a lot in 08 running footbrake and combos on the same night
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #195
Mark Lewis

Liked 187 Times in 40 Posts

I have a lot of friends in NHRA and IHRA also, but most of the Nh guys won't run Ih. There are many factors involved, time off from work and travel probably being the main ones. Choose where you want to race and support them, whether it be IHRA, NHRA ,NMCA or whatever and you go by the rules allowed. So quit the bitchin, get off the computer and go to work on your car. Hope everyone has a successful year racing.
Mark
Mark Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #196
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa633 View Post
Is there a lot of "Class run offs" in IHRA? didn't know they had that..you learn every day..
Stock Class Eliminations will be featured during the Nitro Jam events at State Capitol, US 131 and Maryland

Super Stock Class Eliminations will be featured at the Nitro Jam events at State Capitol, Grand Bend and Maryland
Old 01-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #197
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Stock Class Eliminations will be featured during the Nitro Jam events at State Capitol, US 131 and Maryland

Super Stock Class Eliminations will be featured at the Nitro Jam events at State Capitol, Grand Bend and Maryland

Mike, do class loosers still run elimiations in IHRA? Used to be, if you lost class at a national event you went home. NHRA changed that. Don't know why.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #198
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Re: Crate Motor Class

IHRA runs class starting on the second Qual. run....if you win that round you run untill you lose in class.....2,3,or so rounds later.....if you lose first round in class you still get to run the natl. race....i think after second round of class they quit giving you reaction times 60ft, and so on...i think all you get is your ET and MPH.....
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #199
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Thanks Brandon!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:16 PM   #200
Birch motor cars

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Smile Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCamaro View Post
Finally someone who makes sense. Thanks Tod. U NHRA guys have no idea what a crate motor stocker is anyways. You Think its a motor that comes from GM that u plop in for 3500 bucks and go racing...WRONG. We go looking for castings and then build a bottom, run the same cams u guys run. WOW...we get to run any intake manifold that will fit under the hood. Big deal. If you had a 69 Camaro and say you blew up the engine way back in 76...it was a 300hp engine and it was totally destroyed. Now GM offers an engine that will run on unleaded, and make 300hp...would you not buy it for a replacement instead of buying proper casting for mega bucks?? Thats what the class basically is. Boys...we are rated at huge HP numbers and race really heavy....and don't tell me its fun to pull old heads off of rusty motors out in the woods that are rusted right into the earth. It took me and a friend 2 days to get a set of 041 heads off of a smashed impala...to find out that they were junk. Lots of fun.
Very well said. I get so tired of these guys harking about the CM Class cars. Im all for it and I as well have one that Im putting together a motor for. My car ran in as a G\CM car in its day, now Im the new owner bringing it back to the track as the same.
Birch motor cars is offline   Reply With Quote